You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Guns N' Roses to come to Australia in March 2013

Axlin16 wrote:

That shows you how much I follow it anymore.

gunnerdownunder
 Rep: 4 

metallex78 wrote:
gunnerdownunder wrote:

Looking forward to the Sydney show. The Perth setlist looks just fine, tho I would kill for some Civil War.

I may shed a tear seeing and hearing Estranged for the first time.

I am taking my gf. She's much younger than me, and into awful screamo music, but I've been familiarizing her with the songs. She knows the hits already and now she loves This I Love.

Hoping she'll get her boobies out so I can meet Axl again big_smile

You wanna meet Axl AGAIN...?

Come on Sam, you know I'm still shitty that I didn't get to go back stage with all of you from the 2007 tour...! 17 14

Yeah. I'm greedy wink

I played my lady Appetite yesterday and she said "I know most of these songs actually" and I caught her singing "I get up around seven.." to herself a little later. Win!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Nice work....

My girl is from the Eminem era and so has had to be introduced to Axl in little steps! wink

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
gunnerdownunder wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
gunnerdownunder wrote:

Looking forward to the Sydney show. The Perth setlist looks just fine, tho I would kill for some Civil War.

I may shed a tear seeing and hearing Estranged for the first time.

I am taking my gf. She's much younger than me, and into awful screamo music, but I've been familiarizing her with the songs. She knows the hits already and now she loves This I Love.

Hoping she'll get her boobies out so I can meet Axl again big_smile

You wanna meet Axl AGAIN...?

Come on Sam, you know I'm still shitty that I didn't get to go back stage with all of you from the 2007 tour...! 17 14

Yeah. I'm greedy wink

I played my lady Appetite yesterday and she said "I know most of these songs actually" and I caught her singing "I get up around seven.." to herself a little later. Win!

Nice!

Have fun tonight Sam, hoping to hear a full gig report from you after tonight's show! 9

gunnerdownunder

Just got home from the Sydney show. Quick run down before I catch up on some sleep before work tomorrow.

On previous shows I've attended, I've had little in the way of surprise as I've watched bootlegs, followed set lists obsessively and watched each show in each city when they toured here. For this tour, I just picked myself a ticket up for this Sydney show. This show was a little more of a surprise as I haven't been following things so closely of late.

I did check out the Perth set list and a few clips and was not overly impressed with Axl's voice nor expecting a lot after doing so. It was evident from the start however, that Axl and the band were warmed up nicely after that initial show of this leg of the tour.

Boy was I surprised. Axl sounded fantastic. Right from Chinese Democracy, through into Jungle and the end of It's So Easy, the rasp was obvious to hear and enjoy right from the start and Axl was nailing it. To hear Estranged in person for the first time was amazing, and the crowd appreciated it. It was performed very well. Axl's screams in Live & Let Die were very impressive indeed. It isn't the same Axl that was once able to run from side to side of the stage obviously, but that's to be expected and he was clearly putting focus on ensuring a good vocal performance.

DJ Asbha's stage presence and playing impressed me. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the energy of the band overall (although they had nothing in terms of crowd energy to feed off) and felt they could have sought to engage the crowd a little more,  but Ashba really stood out and owned that stage.

Beta came out and Axl sung Happy Birthday. The helium balloons he had for her dropped to the floor rather than float and Axl made a joke about it being due to being south of the equator and quickly made fun of his lame joke. He was in good spirits. He made comment that Live & Let Die was covered by them because it was supposedly one of the worst Bond songs ever made, so he thought he'd make it stick around another 20 years. He also made comment about a show at Giant Stadium 20 years ago when he got hit in the balls during the end of Paradise City and told everyone to **** off after the show!

The Sydney crowd was really poor. The Arena was half full and those that were there seemed to be casual interested observers rather than the passionate crowds of old. It was definitely a different crowd. Perhaps previous late starts and so forth put off a few of the fans that came to the same arena on previous tours. The participation in Knockin' On Heaven's Door was poor and the crowd seemed to lack energy, perhaps being tired on a work night or perhaps just appreciating a fine performance on Axl's part.

Axl was right on time and from memory the show went for around 2 and a half hours, and the lag between songs during jams and so forth has reduced somewhat from previous tours. Very very impressed with Axl's vocals and it made me leave wishing I was attending one of the other Australian shows.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Great review!

The one thing I've been worried about is the vocals, as I'm a huge fan of the rasp, to me it makes all the difference in the way the feel of the songs carry over....so now I'm uber excited about this weekends gigs if Axl's back in form!

Have you seen the HD london boot going around? How would you compare it to that?

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Glad you had an amazing time dude! smile Good news to hear Axl was on top of his game. Can't wait for my chance to see them live if they come back to the U.S. again.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I think this shows Axl still reads the media.

Didn't post it in this thread but there was a heavily negative review of the perth show a few days ago.

The whole article went on about how the band was great but Axl's voice was weak and he might have lost it or whatever.

Then days later he comes out in Sydney with apparently ass-kicking vocal rasp and form....seems like a co-incidence.....

I'm praying for rasp in melbourne too! I'd loose my shit for some of those long LALD screams with rasp from the front!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Great review, thanks Sam!

Seems like he's got a bit of rasp going here... 9 axl

I'm sure I'll enjoy the show I go to this weekend, but I was really hoping we'd get the 3 hour marathons that the US just got... 10
Shame they're not playing Civil War, or Street of Dreams, Madagascar or even TWAT.

gunnerdownunder

monkeychow wrote:

Great review!

The one thing I've been worried about is the vocals, as I'm a huge fan of the rasp, to me it makes all the difference in the way the feel of the songs carry over....so now I'm uber excited about this weekends gigs if Axl's back in form!

Have you seen the HD london boot going around? How would you compare it to that?

I haven't seen that yet no. But I've seen a lot of clips lately where he sounds like a chipmunk without the rasp and last night was def not one of those performances.

I think 'Better' is a good benchmark to judge his vocals as it's a tough key to sing in, and he nailed it with the rasp.

I think Axl has lost a lot of the die hard fans through previous late shows and the long jams in between songs causing gigs to lose momentum, which is a shame because last night's gig was tight, quick in momentum.. it's just the crowd sucked.

Board footer