You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Your Opinions on a Axl/Slash Reconciliation

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is so many good chances to reunite have gone.

Like it really should have happened around VR forming era.

That was long enough for Axl to have played around on his new 1999 era CD songs and be over it, and for Slash to be over his snakepit runs, for everyone to realise they got a little mad in 1993-5 and to settle in now to a new regroup. Didn't happen.

The next time it should have happened was when VR started to fall apart after libertad. In fairness to Slash he tried to make it happen then but he wasn't allowed to see Axl. But this would have reunited a slash fresh to going back to his classic stuff with an Axl in killer vocal form. Sigh. When it didn't happen Slash took a bunch of his best riffs and made some solo albums.....again.

The next time it should have happened was at RRHOF. Although in fairness to everyone it doesn't make much sense there - as why blow then 100m payday of a real tour on an event you don't own. Plus slash was weeks out of releasing a new solo album with myles.

At this stage it's kinda like past the point to me. Those prior times were windows where even the old stuff would have come off fresh. Now these days both Axl and Slash hammer the back catalogue nightly - so the mystique isn't what it would have been in say a 2004-8 reunion.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

I don`t give a fuck about classic lineup anymore, nor do I like Ashba & Co. I was excited to hear what Axl and Brian ( Bucket ) could do together in studio without all unnecessary layers and overdubs unfortunately, it never happened. Bucket lineup had mystique and curiousity factor attached to them current band is nothing but a joke, a punch line.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Slash would never guest with the new band. Can you imagine?

Axl: We'd like to bring out an old friend -
(Slash plays the intro to SCOM, and nails the ending solo. Axl and Slash hug, Slash leaves, and DJ Fucking Ashba kicks in to Catcher or some shit)

The crowd would leave. Worse riots than Vancover, St Louis, and Philly combined!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The thing is so many good chances to reunite have gone.

Like it really should have happened around VR forming era.

That was long enough for Axl to have played around on his new 1999 era CD songs and be over it, and for Slash to be over his snakepit runs, for everyone to realise they got a little mad in 1993-5 and to settle in now to a new regroup. Didn't happen.

The next time it should have happened was when VR started to fall apart after libertad. In fairness to Slash he tried to make it happen then but he wasn't allowed to see Axl. But this would have reunited a slash fresh to going back to his classic stuff with an Axl in killer vocal form. Sigh. When it didn't happen Slash took a bunch of his best riffs and made some solo albums.....again.

The next time it should have happened was at RRHOF. Although in fairness to everyone it doesn't make much sense there - as why blow then 100m payday of a real tour on an event you don't own. Plus slash was weeks out of releasing a new solo album with myles.

At this stage it's kinda like past the point to me. Those prior times were windows where even the old stuff would have come off fresh. Now these days both Axl and Slash hammer the back catalogue nightly - so the mystique isn't what it would have been in say a 2004-8 reunion.

I agree with this.  Esp the 2002 era, they could've been an actual band again, for a coupla years.  Kinda like Bon Jovi's comeback wtih "It's My Life" or whatever.  He was a bit back in the mainstream radio again.  Now he's coming to the point where he's just a nostalgia act, playing the greatest hits with little new material.  That'd be an old GnR if they reunited.  Just playing GH 87-93.  I wouldn't be too interested in new material, and I'm not at all interested in whatever hogwash lineup they're currently calling GnR either.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'd be interested in new material for sure - as any issues with Axl's voice could be fixed in the studio, and Slash is playing better than ever - but - the problem is - even if they did reunite the odds of new material are well down the list.

Given the differences in creative direction, given Slash's mode of doing stuff fast and Axl's mode of doing stuff slow, Axl's love of layering and tech and Slash's old school approach. Seems recording a new track would be the fastest way for them to get back into disagreement mode. If a reunion ever happens I'd guess it will be like a one-off show or something - if you're the rest of the band it's easier to deal with Axl's unpredictability that way.

You know like worst case is he doesn't show up and the 1 show is cancelled. But if recording riffs with him you could lock down great riffs you wrote into a CD style endless wait.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

I haven't heard enough good material from Slash since the break up to get excited by a reconciliation. A couple of songs here and there but there has been a lack of consistency for a long while.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I haven't heard enough good material from Slash since the break up to get excited by a reconciliation. A couple of songs here and there but there has been a lack of consistency for a long while.

I'm not trying to be an arse here, but the same could easily (if not more so) be said of Uncle Axl.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Which is possibly the whole point, neither have hit the highs that they did when together. It was a rare and magical combination, which is why 20 years on people still want to see them share the same stage again.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Indeed, this discussion has come full circle to what often gets thrown out there, that they both havent achieved anything like the greatness they did when young and together.  And there is nothing to say they would or could again.  I'm getting dizzy now.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The only way we'll ever get to hear Axl and Slash together again is if Axl keels over stony-cold dead before Slash does, and some record company exec hands over Axl's vault to Slash. Which they undoubtedly would, in a heartbeat.

Board footer