You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Bugs Skully (Monkeychow's Band)

monkeychow wrote:

Finally released my first song today:

You can listen to the full song on spotify:https://play.spotify.com/track/33lWiWJuQQS9mif9M1ToAt

Or it's for sale on iTunes: http://tinyurl.com/obyofs9 and Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/o6g6tjc

Bugs Skully is my "band" (in the NiN sort of way) - it's me as songwriter/composer and guitarist with various special guests in the other roles.

This song "Cheap Regret" has Philip Bynoe (Steve Vai Band) on Bass, Mark Zonder (Warlord) on Drums and vocals from Juan "The Beast" Rodriguez who you guys might know from his epic GNR covers on youtube.

Hope you like it smile

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

You've got some mighty fine talented musos working with ya Monkey, nice work. 9

As much as you'll hate me saying this, some of that lead guitar reminds me of Robin's playing, but in a good way...! 14 22

Some of it has that same feel as the solo in This I Love, in that same kinda heartbroken bluesy feel.

Very epic stuff, I could picture that alongside the other epics on CD.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I love the shattered sound of the guitar! Damn, not only are you talented but you've got some respectable juice to have those people playing with you! Hugely impressed (and metallex is right, you're channeling some Robin in there, but the bearded one, not the alien shaved head one wink)

Are there more releases or an album in sight? I just bought your tune from amazon - full support!

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Now that I've just listened to the full song, I like it even better. You wrote a classic tune the way it starts soft and builds to a giant crescendo - exactly the type of thing Axl kills at.

I REALLY like the amount of cacophony (for lack of a better term of art). The guitars, like I already said, sound so shattered and seem to be juuuust under where they seem to want to land in places, which gives it a sweet dark and broken edge. But on second listen, I hear the piano and the way it interplays with the guitar and goes off on it's own slighty "under" or minor runs.

Juan has such a great voice, and this is the first time I've listened to him song something original. It's cool to hear him naturally stray into Axl'ish territory in the crescendo/second half of the song, but without aping him. He really brought a lot to your song.

As you can probably tell, I know just enough music-speak to sound like an educated idiot, but those are my impressions.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

good shit! Is that you singing?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Dude the teaser sounds sick. Smoke is right, love the guitar sound. Ill check out the full song when I have a minute.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Monkey, I just want to say congrats and what a sick tune you got here. You did it man. Love the dark nature of the lyrics and production with the guitar work. Juan has some killer pipes and like most of you guys, I'm happy to hear something original from his voice. His GNR vocal covers were amazing and spot on. You got some great session guys helping you out. By the way did you help with the piano and constructing the background instrumentation with the band's playing? Can't wait to hear the next tune in the near future and wondering who you will work with next for the guest spots.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
smoke wrote:

Are there more releases or an album in sight? I just bought your tune from amazon - full support!

Thanks so much! 5

I'm putting out a rockier track around the end of the year I hope. I'd sort of describe it as Snakepit-eque but with crazy high vocals. But it's sort of the rocker to compliment this ballad.

Beyond that it's going to take a while, and by while I mean an Axl style wait, as I have many songs written but not too much recorded. Unfortunately due to a combination of a pain-issue I have, lack of cash and working too much I tend to make these in slow motion! However, I'm def planning on doing more, as I have a few songs sort of sitting around in draft forms.

Thanks also for your other comments about the song! That was exactly what I was aiming for pretty much...so it's really very happy making to me that you're hearing that stuff!

war wrote:

good shit! Is that you singing?

Thanks man smile

That's Juan "The Beast" Rodriguez singing. I wrote the song though including the vocals...basically I record a version in my cracking fucked up nasty voice and send it to juan who puts on his dragon magic and it turns into those powerhouse vocals.

I'm really happy to have him sing this as I looked for ages for someone with the right combination of being able to sing sweetly and warm but also bring out the rasp and angst and power when it's needed.

I now have the biggest bromance with Juan, he's great.

He also sings on the one I'm releasing later in the year, and beyond that I'd love to do more with him as he really seems to have the voice I wish I had!

Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Monkey, I just want to say congrats and what a sick tune you got here. You did it man. Love the dark nature of the lyrics and production with the guitar work. Juan has some killer pipes and like most of you guys, I'm happy to hear something original from his voice. His GNR vocal covers were amazing and spot on. You got some great session guys helping you out. By the way did you help with the piano and constructing the background instrumentation with the band's playing?

Thanks so much!

Yeah I wrote all the instrumentation other than the drums and bass. All the melodies, vocals, guitars, stings and piano was composed by me smile It was a fun process actually as some of it kind of came in stages. Originally wrote it on guitar then swapped a lot of it to piano, and once I was messing with piano other bits sort of came into it just by nature of doing it that way, and then the string part just sort of fell into place one night.

Thanks for all the kind words folks...I'm really happy to be sharing it as I've been working on it for ages smile

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

Badass Monkey! I'll be downloading it from iTunes today, and eagerly waiting for addition tracks.  9 5

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Awesome.

Board footer