You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Australia, looks like an awesome place

monkeychow wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

What is a dropbear?

Dropbears live in the forest (although they have been known to stray into urban areas). They are distantly related to Koalas.

Basically, a large marsupual that's carnivorous and particularly vicious. You don't want to mess with one. Much like a wolf is not a dog...a dropbear is not a Koala. Look up, and if you see one, go the other way quickly!

I forget the scientific name but they're called dropbears because they attack from above when they feel their territory is threatened.

So you're walking under a tree. The dropbear will "drop" on you usually from some height. They're very solid and heavy and the impact to the back of the head alone has been known to kill. Once it lands on you the dropbear slaps on it's deathly grip around the neck area. They're mean as hell because they do this when they perceive you as a threat. It's got massive teeth and nasty claws, and basically once it stuns you with the grip it sort of savages you the way a wild dog would go for your throat. Additionally, bacteria in their mouths are pretty toxic to humans, it's not exactly venom but if you get bitten and manage to get it off you (rare) then you've probably got about 20 mins to get to hospital or you're going to go into toxic shock even if the blood loss doesn't kill you.

Recently the government has been pushing us to warn tourists, as most locals know to always keep one eye above you..but foreigners don't and so people just go for a walk out in the bushland here and night and get toasted.

Government_Drop_Bear_Warning.jpg

Hidden Text:

Back in the days of World War 2 - Aussie and USA troops were stationed together on bases here and had a friendly rivalry and prank culture.

The aussies used to prank the usa guys on drills by warning them of drop bears. Because there are so many real dangerous snakes and shit here people believed it. And so the aussie dudes would get a laugh watching usa soliders carefully looking up at trees as they walked past on a drill. Every so often an aussie guy would point out a kola and go into a fake panic warning others to run away....and thus the legend was born.

It's long been used here as a way to have light-hearted fun with tourists.

Often they are told that they can minimise risk by attempting to talk in our accent while outside for the day, or by putting vegimite (an aussie food spred  with a strong smell) behind their ears - as the dropbears are accustomed to locals but will react badly to outsiders who sound or smell different.

So sorry...couldn't resist adding it to my warning list!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Haha. Good one.  I was thinking it was s snake or type of insect. Although I can see many of us Americans falling for it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Oh my God!!! That is fucking dirty!  U fucker, you had me on the Dropbear!!!!

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

You asshole, Monkey! smile I actually believed they're real until I looked it up

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

We all fell for it. We are suckerrrrrrrs

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Hehe...sorry guys...was just too tempting....I love the dropbear myth as to me it sounds like the sorta thing that "could be true"...;)

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

970612_614526985234386_2102998942_n_zpsd03ce78e.jpg

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:

I for one would not want to go to Australia because, as we all know, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals! smile

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

hahah...I like to think about how it was originally a punishment to be sent here....and how this place was chosen because it's so damed far from anything...lol.

Board footer