You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Avenged Sevenfold

Son of a Gun wrote:

Just finished listening to the album and I have to say it`s as mediocre as it can get while it has some highlights, overall as a cohesive album. it`s weak, old, tired, rehashed mashup of Guns N`Roses, AC/DC, Metallica and Pantera. This isn`t the album I will ever consider to give a second listen and sure as hell can`t be arsed to review it track by track.This band should go out of their comfort zone and try to evolve their sound, update it, experiment bit. Right at the bottom of their discography, one of their worst. They peaked with City of Evil and self tittled it`s been downhill since. Two stars.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Love it 4 1/2 stars on itunes

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

JThis band should go out of their comfort zone and try to evolve their sound, update it, experiment bit.

I find that a weird thing to say as one thing A7X has done a lot of is evolve their sound.

Albums like "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" are full on metalcore. Then they gradually become more progressive metal and moved away from that hardcore sound. Then on Self-Titled and Nightmare there was an evolution to more classic heavy metal with elements of hard rock, and now - I'd say that Hail to the King is really moving right into hard rock and 80s metal territory.

I can understand why fans of the early sound might not like this album, but one thing you can't accuse them of is not changing things up.

I'll grant this record is heavily influenced by Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, GNR and Ac/Dc....but I really like the evolution of the sound....doing new stuff in classic style.....for me it's their strongest album to date.

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:

This fella with SLash would kick arse

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I'm going to listen to this puppy tomorrow, but from what I've heard so far, they're finally doing what I've always said they should do: They're writing cohesive songs. I was a huge A7X fan until City Of Evil... I always thought they wrote great parts, and just randomly glued them together.

They made it clear early on that their influences were primarily GN'R, Metallica, and Pantera.. and, while you could always hear that in their music, they seemed to always be lacking the one thing that separated those bands from the pack: Solid, memorable tunes. They had the style, and the attitude... The music was more or less forgettable. I'm hoping the good things I've heard about this record aren't just the usual A7X hype. While i kinda miss the metalcore aspect, they've been around for a while now, gone through some severely difficult shit, and it would be nice to see them finally attain their desired status among those greats... And that's really the only thing, IMO, that's held them back.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Just finished listening to the album and I have to say it`s as mediocre as it can get while it has some highlights, overall as a cohesive album. it`s weak, old, tired, rehashed mashup of Guns N`Roses, AC/DC, Metallica and Pantera. This isn`t the album I will ever consider to give a second listen and sure as hell can`t be arsed to review it track by track.This band should go out of their comfort zone and try to evolve their sound, update it, experiment bit. Right at the bottom of their discography, one of their worst. They peaked with City of Evil and self tittled it`s been downhill since. Two stars.

Agreed.  To me it sounded bland.  It's not an album that I want to go back and re-listen to.  City of Evil seemed to be their peak.  Self-titled was pretty good, Nightmare had a couple good tracks on it.  But they've seemed to go downhill.

They still put on one hell of a live show however.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Agreed.  To me it sounded bland.  It's not an album that I want to go back and re-listen to.  City of Evil seemed to be their peak.  Self-titled was pretty good, Nightmare had a couple good tracks on it.  But they've seemed to go downhill.

They still put on one hell of a live show however.

I gotta agree. I thought City of Evil was their best effort. Wasn't a fan of their metalcore days either. Never was a fan of the sound from anyone. To me it sounded like a Pantera lite with no grove too much double bass and shitty screaming. Not really digging what I hear from this record. I am happy they are flying the flag but I would take a band like Buckcherry over these guys personally. Doin Time sounds pretty cool though but that is just cause its ripped right outta GNR's playbook. 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

wow...ok....seems i'm a minority....it's up real loud over here like 24/7 at the moment wink

I agree with Furbush's comments about cohesion.

Maybe it's the guitarist in me....some of the solos just make you want to play....like those whammy lines in "This means war"...just so goood!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I dig the guitarist. Dude can play. Really well. Always thought he was the big player in that band. I will give it another listen though.

Board footer