You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The Winery Dogs

faldor wrote:

Eddie Trunk has been talking these guys up for awhile, featuring 3 friends of his.  It took me awhile to check them out but they sound pretty promising.

Featuring Richie Kotzen on guitar/vocals, Billy Sheehan on bass, and Mike Portnoy on drums.
I've never really heard Richie sing, or play for that matter, but he sounds a little like Chris Cornell to me.  I know that may be a bit of a stretch, but check it out.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Been meaning to check them out, mostly because of TMS. Thanks for the links.

I just bought a Texas Hippie Coalition album for the same reason (TMS) - I'll report back when I get a chance to listen.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I heard these guys on the radio, with some radio guy I listen to talking them up like their debut album was the best thing he'd heard since Appetite.

Umm... not close. But I will say it's quality rock. A good album, that never bores, and is a good listen from start to finish. Favorite tracks were I'm No Angel (might be the best rock single in years), Time Machine, and The Dying.

Kotzen blew me away. I never knew he could even sing. Very Cornell-ish. Lyrically the album is a bit more for the melodic rock crowd, but still quality. A few songs trail off into too much bass, and drum soloing to show off Portnoy, that don't fit the tone.

But the album is like a cross between Ju Ju Hounds meets Soundgarden meets Alice In Chains meets Cream meets Clapton solo meets 80's melodic rock. You like that, you'll like that.

Board footer