You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: DR. PEPPER ISSUES CHALLENGE TO AXL ROSE!

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

"Movement is like a light switch though. It could happen at any time." 18

had to go back to this...and man aint it the truth...looks like they even upgraded to the clapper now 16

Clap-on *clap-clap* Clap-off *clap-clap* clap-on, clap-off....The Clapper *clap clap*

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Backslash wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

As per Fernando on HTGTH, GNR had nothing to do with the DP idea, that DP did this all on their own.

Believe it or don't believe it.   I tend to believe it.

I don't.  Someone somewhere had prior knowledge... Or at least, would have had prior knowledge before this officially came from Dr Pepper.  They can't just use the Guns N' Roses name to promote the product without consent.  A competent legal team would never let them do that, anyway.

And this all happens a day before we get confirmation from the band that they have new management.  Things are looking up.

Things are looking up indeed.  Am I willing to bet CD will be out this year?  Hell no!  But this is better than the silent treatment we were getting.  Anyone who is not pleased by those last two updates I just don't get it.  They are preparing the landing site.  A release date should be imminent.  And BS I agree with you.  I do not believe Axl saying he didn't know about the DR.Pepper thing.  We are witnessing the start of an original promo campaign.  Kudos to them.  If Axl wasn't in on it, D Pepper would've NEVER mentioned GNR by name in fear of a lawsuit.

Sky Dog wrote:

Commy, I like alot of your posts. You're a bright kid. You are wrong on this. Tommy, by almost everything I have read about him in the press going back to 1981 and everything I have witnessed, is a VERY loyal guy. He is not about money, fame, or anything else. He is a rocker, through and through. He has stuck with this insanity 100%. If you want evidence, just look at how Axl responds to him at Download and most impotantly, at Hammerstein before TWAT when he hugs him and makes up for some obvious friction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKPVQhKhduc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqUDKa1H … re=related

My point is, this guy is the backbone of the new band, along with Robin. I simply think he was hurt by Bucket leaving, just like Axl, and reacted with that comment. He made an off the cuff statement based on emotion....just like the comments we hear between Axl/Slash, etc.:beer:

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

^ At least Dr. Pepper didn't offer to shit in BH's bucket. They have more taste than certain band members do. Certain band members that add nothing to the band's sound and aren't name Richard or Frank.

True that.  Karma.

I want to know if anyone else feels the same as me.  I think it should have been, "except Slash, Matt and Scott."  Definently Matt for sure.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I don't get it - why do people think that there would be a lawsuit for Dr Pepper mentioning GN'R in an independent marketing campaign, unless GN'R authorised it first????  It's not like Dr Pepper has said "this promotion is endorsed by Guns N' Roses" or anything similar.

It's a promotion based upon an event either happening or not.  They haven't defamed GN'R or anything else.  There are no grounds for suing.  To say that simply because they mentioned the name is the basis for suing is ridiculous - it's akin to saying anybody that might mention the name GN'R in a sentance can be sued.  Well radio DJ's etc that make jokes about CD not being released better look out 18

Extending that logic futher GN'R better watch themselves otherwise they will have a lawsuit from China for using that countries name and promoting a form of government that they vehemently oppose.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

russtcb wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I don't get it - why do people think that there would be a lawsuit for Dr Pepper mentioning GN'R in an independent marketing campaign, unless GN'R authorised it first????  It's not like Dr Pepper has said "this promotion is endorsed by Guns N' Roses" or anything similar.

It's a promotion based upon an event either happening or not.  They haven't defamed GN'R or anything else.  There are no grounds for suing.  To say that simply because they mentioned the name is the basis for suing is ridiculous - it's akin to saying anybody that might mention the name GN'R in a sentance can be sued.  Well radio DJ's etc that make jokes about CD not being released better look out 18

Extending that logic futher GN'R better watch themselves otherwise they will have a lawsuit from China for using that countries name and promoting a form of government that they vehemently oppose.

GNR or the label knowing ahead of time is crucial to alot of peoples theories that we are being lied to in some way.

I wouldn't quite put it like that, I don't think this is people looking for an excuse to bash GNR by saying they're lieing to us. The point is if GNR and/or the label knew about the DP thing ahead of time it indicates the two parties are collaborating and suggests it's all part of a big promo push for CD. If GNR and the label didn't know ahead of time then it's just a promo push for DP and means as of this moment CD is no closer to coming out because of it. I think that's why people want to believe it's all been planned.

GNR knowing about this ahead of time = probable start of CD promotion

GNR not knowing about this ahead of time = clever promotion by DP but means CD's probably no closer to coming out

Sky Dog wrote:

all evidence points to saying they didn't know....for God sake, Axl isn't going to lie about everything....:rolleyes:

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Journalists and DJs don't stand to profit from using the GNR name.  They're protected by free speech and freedom of the press anyhow.  If Dr Pepper is using the GNR name to promote its product, then its likely that they received permission.  Otherwise, the company would face legal ramifications.  Advertising campaigns can be very tricky, but if they're connected to a separate entities products or services and that entity does not endorse the connection, that's the tort of passing off.  Such can be subject to C&D orders or lawsuits.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Backslash wrote:

Journalists and DJs don't stand to profit from using the GNR name.  They're protected by free speech and freedom of the press anyhow.  If Dr Pepper is using the GNR name to promote its product, then its likely that they received permission.  Otherwise, the company would face legal ramifications.  Advertising campaigns can be very tricky, but if they're connected to a separate entities products or services and that entity does not endorse the connection, that's the tort of passing off.  Such can be subject to C&D orders or lawsuits.

Hmmm, I don't think that's correct.

I'm gonna assume "Guns N' Roses" is a trademark. The only way you can infringe upon a trademark, is by using it for your own product, or choosing a product name confusingly similar to an existing product AND doing so for a product that could be regarded as direct competition. The exception to this would be what they call "tarnishment" and/or "dillution", which both drive down the value of the brand or trademark in question. It seems obvious to me that everything in Dr Pepper's statement is worden and written so carefully as to not "tarnish" the GNR brand name. So even if they are not in cahoots, there is no way that GNR or Axl could sue over this, not even in the "United Litigious States Of America".

If I were a lawyer trying to make a quick buck, however, I might suggest that all off the fluff talk in Dr Pepper's press release is "obviously sarcastic", and therefore tarnishes the GNR name by making fun of their inability to release a record. If I would do that, I would be a bad lawyer who's ripping his client off, 'cause there's no way in hell that pig would fly.

Board footer