You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Walking Dead

AtariLegend wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Oh yeah it's going to be hammer time coming up. They are rumors that the character Morgan may come back this next season and help. About Beth (For those who haven't read the comics, SPOILERS)

Hidden Text:

I agree on the idea that Beth wasn't taken by a Terminus person; rather a person who is going to DC to find another safe haven. Rumors are going around that it will be a combination of the Jesus and Gabriel characters from the comics (Paul "Jesus" is a guy who helps out Rick and his group when they make it to Alexandria and the conflicts that ensue. Gabriel is a priest who joins the group out of guilt and he's kind of coward) fit into one new character actor later on in Season 5.

For johndivney:

Hidden Text:

I agree. That is an strange or rush of events to resort to such a desperate and disgusting practice. I have a theory that it's a comic big bad that's slowly going to reveal himself over time. That person is Neagan. Which is the Governor on steroids. ..And is still alive in the comics. What Neagan does besides torture people is that his group, The Saviors go around to various camps and territories and rape and pillage for supplies. They might of stolen everything from a smaller version of Terminus months prior and then the Gareth character took control and changed rules; so they could get revenge and only keep the people that survived alive. Any new comers would share a terrible fate. 

I think it's going to very interesting when they run out of comic book point of references for the story, which I guess will happen after season 6 maybe? I don't like the idea of

Hidden Text:

The Saviours

being the main plot arc of the last season.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Well what Gimple and Kirkman want to do is not introduce those enemies and characters so soon. Probably not until a season or two after the one coming this Fall. Especially when they gave The Governor a little more shot at life in the show earlier this past season. They want more stories and moments featuring new elements to keep the show fresh and at a good pace. The reason why Season 4 started off kind of slow was Gimple's intention to fix certain characters and also give them a reason to be there with story elements. Plus Season 3's finale was very disappointing and started off strong at first. They didn't want another Andrea or certain characters that were poorly written in S2&3. Abraham and his crew joining up with Rick's team is going to lead to some great moments. Carol and Tyreese holding Judith will probably be on their own course for awhile and will probably arrive at Terminus after alot of shit goes down. They will meet up somewhere down the road. Not sure how it will go down in terms of seasons; but with a strong momentum Season 5 could be something special with lots of action and turns.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I thought the season was a drag, and while the finale shows a good layout for next year, the finale itself was pretty bad too.  Good to see Rick back in action, and hopefully him & Daryl really lay down some ass kickin.  I think after this location, they'll need to be back on the road for a while, walking like season 1 & 2.  Just odd travails & encounters with others. Maybe first half of season at & escaping Terminus, 2nd half traveling.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They dropped the ball with Michonne. She's just not interesting anymore. And I blame Carl. God, I hate that kid.

The only good thing about this season was Carol's story and how good Beth's character became. The rest was meh...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Beth is hot now.

Me_Wise_Magic

Smoking Guns wrote:

Beth is hot now.

Hell yeah man! Her character actress is actually 26 and has made a couple other TV appearances.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I didn't know she was that old.  I thought the actress was like 16 & the character too.  I started getting wierded out a bit when her & Darryl were becoming a little bit close. Thinking "hmmmmm, not sure I agree where this is going?!"

Me_Wise_Magic

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I didn't know she was that old.  I thought the actress was like 16 & the character too.  I started getting wierded out a bit when her & Darryl were becoming a little bit close. Thinking "hmmmmm, not sure I agree where this is going?!"

It's cool! 16 14

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There's a rumor that they're going to make Daryl gay.

I'll stop watching the show.  I don't care if that makes me a bad person. It's ridiculous and a desperate and arrogant decision to get attention from Kirkman (he gave the hint.)

Not only that, I will say the show will end. People will stop watching.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It'll never happen. If Kirkman pushed the issue (i'm assuming he owns all rights), I actually would go so far to say AMC would keep the show on air, sans Kirkman's blessing, and risk lawsuit in order to keep Daryl straight and the nearly 20 million viewers they get after Live+ numbers.

The Walking Dead has become a cultural phenomenon, not seen since The Sopranos, i'd argue. It's that big, despite the fact it frankly isn't that good of a show. I adored the show in Season 1, and slowly with each passing season the show has went further into the shitter, because either A) AMC makes bonehead decisions with Executive Producers [cough Frank Darabont cough cough], and/or B) the show has really crappy, unintelligent writers.

The comics honestly are overrated as well. The Walking Dead could've been an amazing show had it distanced itself from the comics from day one, and did it's own thing like Walking Dead meets Dawn of the Dead: The Series. The show moved too quickly, and although I still enjoyed the farmhouse angle in Season 2, since then they just don't move around enough. The characters are not all that interesting and the actors playing them were quite overrated.

I grew up a DIEHARD George Romero Dead-head. I ranked the original "trilogy" up there with anything Star Wars had to offer, and maintained that Romero was a lost genius. That is until he shit the bed x infinity with Land of the Dead. He reprieved himself a bit with Diary (a throwback Romero zombie flick for the modern age), and then shit it all up again with Survival of the Dead.

So I get "zombies". Way more than all these fucking posers today that dress up in military fatigues and drive around on lame zombie hunts with their friends. roll

Which brings me back to Daryl. Fuck Rick. Does AMC, Kirkman, and anybody with a fucking pulse believe that anyfuckingbody watches Walking Dead for fucking Rick? Daryl IS THE STAR OF THIS SHOW! I don't say that as a diehard fan, because I really don't even know if I care at all to sign up for the 5th Season of the show, as someone who has watched since the Pilot premiere, I think the show has declined that poorly. I say that as someone who totally gets what the draw is to this show. Zombies and Daryl. If Donald Pleasence was the heart & soul of the Halloween series, than Norman Reedus is the Donald Pleasence of Walking Dead.

Walking Dead might have an all audiences viewership. Walking Dead might be off the charts on all demos. Everybody might be circle-jerking to progressive writing. And believe me, I am THE FIRST GUY to tirade (have very recently) about Hollywood's "fake pandering" to the gay community with their "fake progess". A lead female that is gay is not 'progress'. It's not 1996. Sylvester Stallone frenching Arnold Schwarzenegger in Expendables... and it still working -- that's progress. I get it. I get being ballsy and pushing it.

But this is literally SUICIDE. Not Robin Williams, I have depression and early-Parkinson's and money issues life's a drag, we still love you Robin -- suicide. No it's not that suicide.

This is Chris Benoit drugging his son, killing his wife, spending a weekend in the house with their corpses, THEN hanging himself -- SUICIDE.

Making Daryl gay would bury AMC's biggest property -- EVER. It would literally kill the show. I would be stunned if Norman Reedus would even agree to play it. Norman Reedus has an even bigger future ahead of him because of this series, and Norman Reedus is becoming his own brand name. This would be a ripple effect that would hurt Reedus brand name as an actor. I'm very serious here. Reedus would go from the next big action star, to America's next reality TV host of "Hollywood's Tribute To Tom Savini" overnight.

Reedus is so big because of Daryl, that people have totally forgotton about The Boondock Saints, a cult legend in its own right. Reedus can't even walk down the streets of New York without being mobbed by hoardes of fans and paparazzi like he's Tom fucking Cruise circa 1998.

This would not only slit the throat of the series, overnight, it would replace Fonzi's "jumping the shark" to creating the word "Committing Homocide" in Webster's Dictionary's next edition.

Walking Dead's syndication property, for future reruns, would be perminately damaged costing countless millions of dollars.

In other words... there's nothing wrong with progress. There's nothing wrong with being gay. There's nothing wrong with having a gay character. BUT... when you take a beloved character, that is considered the star of the show, the reason people watch, BECAUSE of his redneck-ness. BECAUSE of his machismo. BECAUSE of his strong male persona. BECAUSE of his star power and on-screen charisma as that exact thing. And at the peak of this said show, flip course on the audience, flip the middle finger and do something with this character that IMMEDIATELY ALIENATES 75% of the audience, instantly, 65% of whom will send you death threats... to appeal to 1% of the American population.... wow. I'm all for progress, but this is just a plain bad idea. I would say even after that initial audience loss, he'd lose another 10-15% of the course of the next season, who would then throw in the towel because of the lack of popularity. Even if there were audience gains from the LGBT demo, it would be less than 2-3%.

Kirkman might never ever get work or street cred again. The media would never leave him alone about it. It would haunt him forever. He would get spit on on the streets as the person that ruined the best show of all time (not me saying this, but the diehards of his comics/series).

Again -- i'm being serious. This would be full blown Benoit-level suicide. Kirkman himself would probably nurse a bottle of Johnnie Walker and pop a gun in-and-out of his mouth to see if he's got the stones over the course of an evening. Plus, even if they went through with it, and even kept their audience for as many newbies that joined the show to root for Daryl, just as many former Daryl fans would root for his demise, and rooting for a gay man to die by mutilation from zombies because he's gay... that's even more not cool. Why bring that kind of negative energy from your casual fans. Just to bait them?

Still...

A) AMC would find someway to appease Kirkman, even if it was doubling, tripleling his royalties
B) If Kirkman was still a dick, AMC would find someway to circumvent Kirkman to keep the series on the air with Daryl straight
C) Syndicators, investors and others that have money in the brand would threaten Kirkman with being in court for the rest of his life facing lawsuits near a half-billion in total
D) Norman Reedus would never agree to play the role as a gay man. It would hurt Reedus' brand as being able to market himself for certain roles. He might gain respect as an actor/artist, but it would take any action/crime drama/sci-fi roles (his future bread & butter as a lead player) right off the table. It would be back to 10 years ago Norman Reedus eating peanut butter sandwiches and hoping for the next Boondock sequel, just cause Kirkman wanted to fuck his character in the ass (and yes, I feel a character is a 50/50 split between the original writer and the actor/actress who plays the role)

and E) I think AMC would cancel it. Yep. If the issue was forced, I think AMC would straight up cancel the series before they allowed it to happen. Better to cancel Walking Dead in it's prime, keep its brand strong, take that huge royalty money, pimp it out by other means, than continue it on bleeding money with a gay Daryl, and tons of public backlash.

This would be so bad, people would literally tune out of AMC, the network itself, because of the move. I think they'd pull the plug first. Then again... suits are stupid... so...

Again, i'm all for gay progress, but this would be literally be Kirkman's "Naggers" moment

He would never live it down...

Board footer