You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Mr ID and Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I decided to give the whole thing a listen.

Album review:

SLASH feat. MYLES KENNEDY & THE CONSPIRATORS -- "World On Fire" (2014)

World On Fire --- has a throwback Guns sound. It's very obvious from the on-set that Slashis playing and the song is designed in drums and rhythm to be a new era Guns song, especially with its throwback 80's sleaze rock sound.Myles sounds better than he should on this, but is still largely the weakest link. In some ways Myles sounds out of place on the song, while the rest of the band sounds like they performed this in the 80's. Could I see Axl on this? Ehh, maybe as a Live Like A Suicide song. Maybe. Slash does the noodly noodly solo, but nothing really pops solo-wise.

Shadow Life --- nice start, then kind of merges from World On Fire. Slash sounds great. Nice riffage.But the melody doesn't fit the rest of the song. This song was built for -- Scott Weiland. I could totally see Weiland on this. Not Axl. Sounds more like a throwback VR song than a GN'R song. Kinda drags towards the end. Definitely more 'modern rock' than I would've ever expected Slash to do, considering his comments on Corey.

Automatic Overrdrive --- solo immediately busts you in the teeth. Nice! Now this is Slash. Opening mini-solo sounds a bit like old era Iron Maiden. Slash showing his roots there. WOW! Great solo in this. Now this is throwback Slash! I could actually see/hear Axl on this one. Maybe as a GN'R B-side. Alot of Axl mini-screams, and Live Like A Suicide vocal padding. Not a great song, but Slash is the star here.

Wicked Stone --- average opening. Kinda sounds like Motley Crue. Ehh, a bit forgettable. Slash's guitar work sounds like a blend between Mick Mars and Robin Finck (Guns version), than it does Slash. Solo is too downplayed. Slash kinda doesn't quite "go for it". Then in the outro Slash just goes into tried and true shredding. Definitely couldn't hear Axl on this one.

30 Years To Life --- Wow, I love the W.A.S.P opening. That's badass. Oh yeah, I can hear Axl on this one. The high/low mix on melody and vocals is very UYI-era Guns. This is definitely a throwback Guns song. The attitude and feel is very B-side UYI II Axl imo. Even Myles sounds good on this. Oh yeah, here comes the solo, wow. Fuck yeah, FUCK YEAH. That's Slash! Like 1991-era Slash. Total UYI-vibe Axl/Slash. My favorite song on the album so far.

Bent To Fly --- nice opening. This is the kind of sound I like from Myles. When he's in his low register he sounds almost like Chris Cornell. Melody is catchy. Song sounds like a Cornell-sequel song from Slash 2010 rather than an Axl song. Best i've heard Myles in awhile. Solo is kind of forgettable. You keep waiting for Tremonti/Stapp to kick in on the melody. Another more 'modern rock' sound from Slash. It's good, not great.

Stone Blind --- ugh, not a great start. Umm... okay. The solo is fanfuckingtastic, the rest of the song fucking sucks. And no on the Axl thing.

Too Far Gone --- hmm, nothing about the instrumentation or vocals really jumps out at you. The melody is fantastic. It has an 80's melodic throwback sound to it. Part of me wonders had one of those bands gotten their hands on this song, like a Danger Danger or somebody, they could've turned it into something special. There's something there, but the song kinda fails for me. And no Axl.

Beneath The Savage Sun --- interesting start. Song is kinda busy, and the melody doesn't make much sense. Slash comes in with a rather interesting solo, that teases Metallica/Pink Floyd-isms and then kinda quits on it. Suddenly it turns into Soundgarden, which sounds okay. Then the big solo starts, suddenly Slash turns into Buckethead (nice, great solo). I could see Axl singing on this, because it's so confused, busy, and muddled as a song, it'd fit in nicely beside Riad N' The Bedouins.

Withered Delilah --- nice guitar intro, Myles sucks. Solo is nice, too short imo. Meh and no to Axl.

Battleground --- what the fuck, is this a Chris Cornell solo song? Is that Myles? Lolz. Beautiful voice in the intro. Nice. Smooth song. Wow, this is nice. Nice ballad. Myles sounds great. I could totally TOTALLY hear modern-day Axl on this, with his smooth angelic KOHD-live voice.
Not very Guns, more Velvet Revolver feat. Axl Rose, but it's there. This is up there with 30 Years as one of the best songs on the album. Oh wow, SMOOTH solo. This is throwback Don't Cry-Slash. Oh wow, tonally very-Brian May, circa Innuendo/Made In Heaven. Myles even channels Freddie a bit. That's why I think Axl would be perfect for this in the modern day. Fits his Queen-attitude on Chinese. Wow Slash comes in with a second solo that nails it as well. Very original. How is this song not getting played on the Hot 100? Very multi-platform hit.

Dirty Girl --- funky start. Very Crue. The whole song is frankly with hints of Van Hagar. It's a bit too cheese penis for my tastes. Throwback Bulletboys/Warrant-vibe. Slash's solo is a bit forgettable. Definitely don't see Axl on it.

Iris of the Storm --- melodically it's really cool, and Myles sounds good on it, but goddamn is that chorus fuckin' weak. Really? Seriously weak. Solo is okay. Not long enough. Second solo is even more interesting, and again not long enough. Don't see Axl on it.

Avalon --- meh, nice pacing, nice beat, nice tempo, but i'm just not feeling it, from the melody to the chorus to the rhythm. Slash's solo is stock. The whole song is stock as a matter of fact. And no to Senor Rose.

The Dissident --- Nice intro, bluegrass and the rock part. At this part the album is starting to sound a bit 'samey'. Ehh, the song sounds like it wants to be something, that it never quite achieves. Slash's solo is catchy, but not quite there. The song is too up-tempo and glam metal for its deep subject matter. Thumbs down. And no to Axl.

Safari Inn --- 3rd best song on the entire album. Slash sounds great. These are the kind of songs he should've been recording over 20 years ago on albums. Fantastic. Love everything about it. Fuck this sounds good.

The Unholy --- interesting song. The Soundgarden-type parts sound good, but then the chorus goes into the same old same old. Like half, and don't like the other half. Slash is forgettable. Drags on far too long. Slash comes in WAY too late to save it. That solo should've been at  the 4-minute mark. And then it just ends? Fuck this song.

2.75/5 stars - Fairly Good album

I decided to listen to the whole thing. Basically in a nutshell, I agreed with about 90% of your recommendations actually. I added "Automatic Overdrive" to the 'Axl list', and subtracted "Wicked Stone", because I just couldn't feel Axl on it.

Overall you were pretty spot-on in your predictions. The songs you recommended were very Axl, either Chinese-era, or throwback Appetite-era songs.

I think the more ironic thing is, in some ways Slash went into a similar direction to Axl, musically, in the modern day. It's a shame they never saw eye-to-eye. They're more alike than they give themselves credit for. But Slash's number one flaw he still has is he records a bit too much material imo. The last three solo albums could've been mulled into 12-track best of's, and cut the fat. Some songs are great (a few), while others smack of Slash's entire career post-Guns... not great, not awful, just kinda there. And World On Fire is no exception.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Great review Axlin!  You actually listened. I love 30 Years to Life. We agree for the most part.. Thanks for participating in my thread. Lol. They could record separately, kind of like illusions, and make it work, no doubt.

Rimov
 Rep: 10 

Rimov wrote:

By the way, Slash continue to premier somgs live,

There's Battleground which was just discussed from Osaka, yesterday

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

He sounds very good there.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

But Slash's number one flaw he still has is he records a bit too much material imo. The last three solo albums could've been mulled into 12-track best of's, and cut the fat. Some songs are great (a few), while others smack of Slash's entire career post-Guns... not great, not awful, just kinda there. And World On Fire is no exception.

Yeah I agree with this.  I think (and I'm sure Slash has even said this), he likes the touring/playing aspect of the whole "album/tour" cycle.  Seems to me the album aspect is a necessary chore for him to complete so he can get back out on the road again and play live.  Consequently rather than sit in the studio and keep working away coming up with new/better ideas, I think he settles for some average filler just to get the album completed and hit the road again.

He needs an "Axl" telling him something isn't good enough or it needs more work.   Just like Axl needs someone pulling him up from tinkering with something ad infinitum.  They are the ying and yang.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Will happen soon enough my friends...  Something is going down... And I don't care what Richard Fortus says.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

But Slash's number one flaw he still has is he records a bit too much material imo. The last three solo albums could've been mulled into 12-track best of's, and cut the fat. Some songs are great (a few), while others smack of Slash's entire career post-Guns... not great, not awful, just kinda there. And World On Fire is no exception.

Yeah I agree with this.  I think (and I'm sure Slash has even said this), he likes the touring/playing aspect of the whole "album/tour" cycle.  Seems to me the album aspect is a necessary chore for him to complete so he can get back out on the road again and play live.  Consequently rather than sit in the studio and keep working away coming up with new/better ideas, I think he settles for some average filler just to get the album completed and hit the road again.

He needs an "Axl" telling him something isn't good enough or it needs more work.   Just like Axl needs someone pulling him up from tinkering with something ad infinitum.  They are the ying and yang.

Yeah, it truly is one of those sad cases of the broke-up marriage where each spouse was good/right for each other, not the other way around.

I know i've had personal relationships in my life, where when i'm alone or i'm with my own personal "hangers on", I do things my own way with my own energy and I feel that's the right way to approach it. It doesn't really work for me with others that aren't in that inner circle.

But i've had others that motivated me to do the things I probably should've been doing, and it brought an entirely different force out of me to keep up with their pace, motivate me, inspire me, and give me a reason to wake up.

And when those things were gone, it was back to my way.

We all think we know what's best... the bitch of life.

Board footer