You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Salon Reunion article

TheMole wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

But i'm sorry, New Guns, any incarnation, was a WAYYYYY tighter live band, sounded infinitely better than the old band, at every turn, and it was because of the additional musicians, and lack of drug use.

Still sounded better tho

Not trying to be a contrarian, I really want to know your opinion, but comparing these two pro-shot soundboard incarnations of Nightrain you actually prefer GNR (ignoring vocals for now)? Listen to when the first verse begins (at around the 0:40 mark in the GNR vid, 0:30 in the Slash vid), it just becomes so hard to hear the individual parts it becomes a bit of an unintelligible mess to me in the GNR version. In Slash's version, just listen to the nice little fill that he does at 4:26, you're never able to hear things like that in a three-guitarist setup.

Again, I'm not being facetious, it's a genuine question, and I did try to be honest and find the best examples for both bands. To me, Slash's band sounds MUCH tighter here.

Yes, the drugs and alcohol had a lot to do with lack of tightness in past Slash performances, but since he's been clean he's been one tight ass motherfucker.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Comparing Slash today is worthless as a comparison, tbh. And i'm not be facetious either.

Speaking as someone who saw Slash AND Guns in 2011 live, in person, GN'R had the better overall production and better vocals, but Slash was the better player and had the better guitar sound. Why? Two reasons, 1) Slash is as much apart of the soul of those songs as Axl himself, Slash's guitar IS the sound of those songs, so hearing them live sounded more proper and organic than New GN'R, 2) Slash was sober and playing THE BEST HE EVER HAS. All I thought being there was, what if The Conspirators did have Axl on vocals, or Richard Fortus on rhythm, or Frank on drums... what it would sound like.

Ironically, we're gonna find out in 2016, haha.

I will agree, part of the mystique of old Guns was that they were "glorious" fuck ups. The spontaneity of the performances and no performance being the same is what made Guns... Gn'F'n'R's.

But at the same time, comparing JUST Guns old to JUST Guns new, the new band was far tighter, and speaking of live performances, i'm sorry I saw both GN'R & Slash in 2011 and I remember thinking Slash's guitar is one of a kind, but Axl had the better band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Okay... so I listened intently to the live videos. Specifically listened -- I did not watch. I listened to as much of the nuances as I could.

First off, that performance of Nightrain with Slash & The Conspirators might be the best Nightrain performance i've heard of them. Myles voice hits everything right, and Slash... jeezus... I got depressed listening to it. Slash sounded A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. He was such a beast on lead guitar, and especially that amazing solo (that he wrote), that it sounded even better today than it did back in the day. It reminded me when Bucket finally found his groove and just SLAYED the song during the latter part of the 2002 leg.

However I stand by my original statement. Slash is such a BEAST of a lead player, that he plays ALL of the lead that he's involved with, which GN'R fans haven't seen -- AT ALL -- since 1993. So much to a point that there's a generation of GN'R fans who have never seen it live under the Guns N' Roses banner... ever. I think this is the problem. I was depressed watching it, because THIS is what GN'R has been missing since 1993 -- Slash. Nobody plays those songs like he does. It's not Izzy. It's Slash.

However, you take Slash from The Conspirators, and they are suddenly Sammy Hagar's  backing band with Myles Kennedy on vocals. GN'R on the other hand have far more capable players. Frank, Tommy, Richard, Dizzy, and/or Robin or Ron is there was another lead. It's just the better band.

Slash is the missing ingredient. But Axl's had a helluva band, in any incarnation, since 2001.

Board footer