You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: New Autographed GUNS N' ROSES Drumhead Appears To Confirm Lineup

monkeychow wrote:

I get what you're saying but I don't agree....it is a reunion....Axl got Slash and Duff back because any further projects are a non-starter without them.

Sure they were in talks....how did those "talks" go?  Odds are what they established is that GNR can't get the kind of guarantees they got in 2006 or 2009. Every new gnr-tour attendance has been lower than the last. I bet what Axl found out is that promoters or the label won't give him the kind of coin he wants. Hell we basically already know that was the previous problem with the label - they won't pay for stuff Axl wants them to - and they won't pay it cos it's not the real band and there's no money in it.

Because GNR is a famous brand he'd always be able to bet *someone* to take out the new band...but it's clearly getting harder and harder.

This is absolutely a reunion - of the only thing the general public wants AXL and SLASH - duff coming along just adds a little extra legitimacy in case people noticed the rest of the band looked different. Sure I want sorum and James wants Izzy. But the promoters will pay for anything with Axl and Slash as it's those guys who are the Joe and Steven, the Angus and Brian and the Page and Plant of the outfit.

Then they rewound the branding and logos to the 1990s.

The only reason they avoid the word reunion is so they can get out of having to deal with the headaches involved with Steven and Izzy. I wouldn't be surprised if they still give them a limited roll - but you wouldn't market it that way as lets be real - you never know if Steven will lose it and junk up and you don't know if Izzy will go out for pizza or something mid show. This way they don't risk loosing legitimacy mid tour if that happens. Imagine if they market it as a full reunion then those 2 bail and the headlines are "GNR falls apart".

So they studiously avoid the word reunion, callously counting their millions and thinking the audience doesn't give a shit about anyone but those 3, and odds are aside from a few of us here they are probably right. All while entirely branding the outfit and returning to classic GNR mode.

But don't pretend it's not a reunion. Axl's choices at this point were go small time, or make it work with slash and stay big time, or retire.

Hopefully they make it work and we get an awesome Axl and Slash tour then an Axl and Slash album....otherwise Slash will walk out again and Axl will be retiring.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I can't call it a reunion, because... It isn't. We were arguing that they were deliberately keeping Izzy and Sorum out. That was impossible. If it were a reunion they wouldn't be rehearsing CD songs. The old logo was all marketing. They will take all the benefits of guys like you calling it a reunion without any baggage. Yeah, they will definitely ride that wave.

But Monkey, GNR was going to be active in 2016 with or without Slash. DJ bailing was a blessing. It also opened A LOT more opportunities.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

I can't call it a reunion, because... It isn't. We were arguing that they were deliberately keeping Izzy and Sorum out. That was impossible. If it were a reunion they wouldn't be rehearsing CD songs. The old logo was all marketing. They will take all the benefits of guys like you calling it a reunion without any baggage. Yeah, they will definitely ride that wave.

But Monkey, GNR was going to be active in 2016 with or without Slash. DJ bailing was a blessing. It also opened A LOT more opportunities.

Lol... Active. Umm no. They were not. Yes they "could have". Just like they "could" have released CD 2 in 2010 or CD 1 in 2004 etc.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I can't call it a reunion, because... It isn't.

Well you have 3 of the 5 AFD eras members present. What is a quorum for a reunion then? Would it count if Izzy joins? Adler? Both?

Aside from hardcores like us the general public considers anything with both Axl and Slash to be GNR and the presence of Duff seals it.

misterID wrote:

If it were a reunion they wouldn't be rehearsing CD songs.

Why? Axl needs to be left with a little self respect. It's bad enough he's had to bring back in guys he swore he'd never work with again to make the band viable - I doubt he wants to erase his life's work by then pretending Chinese Democracy never happened on top of that.

Additionally the setlist has shown for a long time that Axl is only comfortable singing certain songs anymore. They need those songs in the set because they're doable for Axl's modern voice and they also make a good compromise - we get Slash and Duff back but it doesn't seem like Axl was totally defeated.

misterID wrote:

I'm sure it was - but there's a reason Axl's only played vegas the past few years and still hasn't released another album. It's $$$ - much cheaper to  play a residency and there's limited money in albums. He could always do something - he's axl rose for fuck's sake - but I think he wants to do grand things that promoters and labels are not sure about paying for anymore. This reunion makes that possible. DJ and Orianthi is not a stadium act, and probably not even an arena act the way it was heading.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Eh, I dont feel like going round & round on nothing. I mean, there's no right answer. We see things differently. We'll just agree to disagree.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I can't call it a reunion, because... It isn't.

Well you have 3 of the 5 AFD eras members present. What is a quorum for a reunion then? Would it count if Izzy joins? Adler? Both?

I'd argue you could probably get away with calling it a reunion if Izzy was there on a permanent basis, since he was there for both AFD/Lies and UYI; the height of the band's popularity. But they've been very canny about pitching this as a "regrouping" – the casuals get Axl, Slash and Duff , Axl gets a stable touring band with a well-oiled, professional rhythm section instead of the two bandmembers most likely to flake on him, and Izzy and Adler (even Sorum, if he behaves himself) can be brought in for fan-pleasing guest spots as necessary.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I can't believe (but I should) that we are now weeks away from these shows and we have heard next to nothing from the "band."

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I can't believe (but I should) that we are now weeks away from these shows and we have heard next to nothing from the "band."

are you really THAT surprised, after all those years with GNR world? smile

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Funny how ten years back, the brouhaha was on the Hammerstein shows in NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaaawkP1r0s

Ron was confirmed on stage and all we got prior was the 11th hour Trunk appearance.

AtariLegend wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaaawkP1r0s

Every time someone posts that video I forward to There Was A Time. It's a fantastic moment, but it's really sad considering everything that came after.

What does There Was A Time sound like with 2 guitarists? tongue

Board footer