You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Troubadour 04/01/16 - videos

Aussie wrote:

After watching all these tiny clips I'm pumped to hear a full song or see the whole gig.  From what little we could hear it sounded pretty good to me.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The 2 minute Jungle video is already over 150,000 views in about 12 hours. Looks like it's headed for "viral" status. Great publicity for the band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Not to start shit, but musically it was rough at times and from what I heard, mainly with Frank and timing. But it will get better no doubt. But Slash's solo band sounds much tighter on AFD stuff than the band last night. I am giving them a pass because it was the first show.

I don't buy that for a flat fucking second. If any timing was off it was Axl & Slash. Slash seemed at times a bit behind the rest, including the non-rehearsed Axl, and Frank (who always is) was the captain of the ship in the back.

But remember -- AGAIN -- SLASH has NOT played with Frank before. He might've rehearsed with him a few times, but has not did this in this setting.

Anybody doubting Frank are nothing but Steven fanboys trying to stir up shit because West Hollywood's favorite cock/rock smoker wasn't on the kit.

Everybody needs to get the fuck over it. Frank's been there since 2006 and has done a fine job. And Slash's solo band HAS NEVER been tighter on GN'R material than GN'R. Ever. The only thing they had that put them over on GN'R is The Conspirators had Slash and GN'R had DJ. The rest of GN'R SMOKES The Conspirators ass. Any day of the fucking week.

You're just hearing things because when Slash's guitar is in a band, playing GN'R songs... it just sounds -- RIGHT. Which makes the supporters sound better than they are.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Not to start shit, but musically it was rough at times and from what I heard, mainly with Frank and timing. But it will get better no doubt. But Slash's solo band sounds much tighter on AFD stuff than the band last night. I am giving them a pass because it was the first show.

I don't buy that for a flat fucking second. If any timing was off it was Axl & Slash. Slash seemed at times a bit behind the rest, including the non-rehearsed Axl, and Frank (who always is) was the captain of the ship in the back.

But remember -- AGAIN -- SLASH has NOT played with Frank before. He might've rehearsed with him a few times, but has not did this in this setting.

Anybody doubting Frank are nothing but Steven fanboys trying to stir up shit because West Hollywood's favorite cock/rock smoker wasn't on the kit.

Everybody needs to get the fuck over it. Frank's been there since 2006 and has done a fine job. And Slash's solo band HAS NEVER been tighter on GN'R material than GN'R. Ever. The only thing they had that put them over on GN'R is The Conspirators had Slash and GN'R had DJ. The rest of GN'R SMOKES The Conspirators ass. Any day of the fucking week.

You're just hearing things because when Slash's guitar is in a band, playing GN'R songs... it just sounds -- RIGHT. Which makes the supporters sound better than they are.

Watch the Jungle clip, in the begging Frank is all over the fucking map, but I think it is because, as monkey pointed out, Axl skipped a line and went straight into scream, Slash Adjusts but Frank is going really really fast, he eventually slows down and him and Slash get on the same beat... But something was going down. 

I can't fault Slash cause the fucker has been at Mates since January looking for people to rehearse with..

But I am giving them all a pass because it was the first gig.  I expect all these issues fixed for this weekend.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Good point!! Slash's tone is a HUGE key.. But Todd is a great bass player and Brent is a world class drummer.  He really fucking is.  I am not bullshitting you.  I would take Fitz over many, MANY drummers.  He is alike an Adler/Sorum hybrid... Fucker can play bass and piano too... A true musician... But I will tell you why Conspirators are so fucking tight and know each others next move...  Slash made them rehearse like mother fuckers!  And they played a lot of shows, but they practiced a TON...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

But the thing is, Frank ALWAYS goes fast. Frank plays the material faster, and tighter -- always has. He still has Adler's groove, so he doesn't play it like a Brain-drum machine gimmick, but every show i've ever seen with Frank from 2006, including three times in person, Frank plays the material quicker. Hell I think Estranged is actually 30-seconds shorter live in the present because the entire beat and routine moves much quicker and to the point.

Axl might've thrown him off, but Frank plays it the way Frank has always played it.

But Slash helped WRITE IT. Slash has ONE way playing the song. He ain't going to adjust HIS song to how Frank Ferrer plays it.

Which comes back to what you said from the get -- first show. This was a warm up for a reason. To work out the kinks.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

But the thing is, Frank ALWAYS goes fast. Frank plays the material faster, and tighter -- always has. He still has Adler's groove, so he doesn't play it like a Brain-drum machine gimmick, but every show i've ever seen with Frank from 2006, including three times in person, Frank plays the material quicker. Hell I think Estranged is actually 30-seconds shorter live in the present because the entire beat and routine moves much quicker and to the point.

Axl might've thrown him off, but Frank plays it the way Frank has always played it.

But Slash helped WRITE IT. Slash has ONE way playing the song. He ain't going to adjust HIS song to how Frank Ferrer plays it.

Which comes back to what you said from the get -- first show. This was a warm up for a reason. To work out the kinks.

I love it when we agree....  I think Slash had in his mind the pace, and you are right, Frank seems to be a hair faster and Slash was resisting it...  Good catch!  Right after Slash gets off the monitor he walks over to Frank.  Unsure what he says or implies, if anything at all.  I think Duff, Richard, and Frank need to get on the same page with Slash.  Axl will fit in either way and always sing on beat.  I think Slash needs to be the conductor like he was during UYI... This week coming up, they will rehearse a fuck load.  Probably no with axl, but the band will rehearse.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Old guys usually goes slow. Look at Aerosmith. They downed the pace by each fucking decade. Please Frank, don't slow down because Slash tells you to. Go quick and right!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:

Old guys usually goes slow. Look at Aerosmith. They downed the pace by each fucking decade. Please Frank, don't slow down because Slash tells you to. Go quick and right!

Axlin and I just said he was going "faster" than the record pace... Axlin said Estranged is 30 seconds faster than the album.  The correct pace will help Axl last longer during a show... I don't mind a little bit faster, but he was way fast in the beginning of jungle it seemed.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Duff doesn't need to get on the same page with Slash. Nor Axl. Nor Dizzy. Those four know exactly what the fuck they are doing.

The problem is for the last 20 years Slash has been the frontman of his band. Imagine if when The Stones nearly broke up in the late 80's and Keith Richards & Mick Jagger went solo and Steel Wheels had never happened. Then 20 years later in 2007-09 the Stones get back together and merge their bands. That's the kind of the situation that GN'R is in right now.

Axl, Slash, Duff & Dizzy are all on the same page. Even Dizzy seemed to be a touch in with his UYI timing last night rather than CD era. But Slash has spent the last 20 years fronting his own band. Even during the UYI days, Slash took his lead from Axl, then the band followed Slash, and that's how it all worked out.

That's how Slash is used to that, except imagine he hasn't fucking done it for 22 years, goes back to the Troubadour and does it again one night, at around midnight -- tired. Tommy "The General" Stinson ain't around no more, Duff doesn't do that shit, and neither does Axl. Guess who's default job it is again? Slash. Frank was playing CD era, but Slash was expecting UYI era. Problem is... Frank doesn't even know what the fuck that is. Neither does Richard.

That's what happens when 'ya don't call Gilby & Matt. Just sayin'. And this is coming from a Richard & Frank mark.

Adjustments... adjustments. Slash will be band leader, and he was finding his groove last night.

Board footer