You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: For the tour - Rules SG would have in place

Smoking Guns wrote:

No hanger ons back stage

No booze or drugs EVER around Slash or Duff (respect their battle)

Fuck the in ear shit, Slash is clearly struggling.  Maybe go to old school monitors.

Somebody objective come in and call out everyone. (Axl is pitchy, Slash is pitchy in bends, Franks is all over the place, Fortus is too loud and at times over plays, Duff needs to take command of all timing issues, he is half of the rhythm section)

This tour can be so much better than we have seen. So far Vegas night 2 was the best night. Coachella weekend one was a pretty poor show over all. I hope it was sound issues and Slash not being able to hear.

Right now, band wise, Conspirators blow the fucking doors off of GNR. Don't know if it is because all those guys are sober and don't drink or do drugs or if it is because they don't do the in ear shit to the level of guns or what. But they are a much tighter band and it isn't close.

I will duck now as you guys throw shit at me.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

No booze or drugs EVER around Slash or Duff (respect their battle)

Somebody objective come in and call out everyone. (Axl is pitchy, Slash is pitchy in bends, Franks is all over the place, Fortus is too loud and at times over plays, Duff needs to take command of all timing issues, he is half of the rhythm section)

I can definitely get behind these but the rest...

Please. You are reading way too much into these things.

Just try and enjoy it for what it is.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I imagine they need time playing together. The Conspirators have had years now, no?

And I'm curious about the in-ear vs. monitor way of doing things. How does that work?

If Frank is used to in-ear and Slash is used to monitors, something should be worked out. I could see the issue there.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

How much time they need?  This is after 2 days of rehearsal.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

I dunno, man, I've never played in a band.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash and Duff were in the above clip and it sounded fine. So the issue as to why we are not getting that sound lies with Fortus, Axl, and Frank?!?!

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash and Duff were in the above clip and it sounded fine. So the issue as to why we are not getting that sound lies with Fortus, Axl, and Frank?!?!

Did you see what I asked about monitors vs. in-ear above? Can you shed light?

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Yet everything I've seen is still way better than the previous incarnations of the band (including the old band). Yeah, the Conspirators were tight as fuck, but GNR today is actually still pretty damn good. But everything sounds so much tighter than in 2014, 2010 or 2006 (I'm guessing that's because they've toned down the wall of sound, with just two guitars and the keys being much lower in the mix).

The only complaint I really agree with is the tempo. Not only is almost everything too fast, it's also a bit inconsistent. It's not something that's easily fixed without going to a click-track though, and click-tracks SUCK live so no thanks... For what it's worth, our drummer was very consistent into a song, but often started a bit too fast or too slow, so we started our songs live with a clicktrack in the ear of the drummer, but he switched it off once the song got truly started.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with CSS, you're overblowing the problem mate, it's really not that bad. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the shows!

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Did you see what I asked about monitors vs. in-ear above? Can you shed light?

In-ears provide for much better separation of the individual monitoring mixes, so in theory everyone should be able to hear what they need much better than with old-fashioned wedges. That means that no one would have the excuse of not hearing the other players well enough, or one instrument overpowering the others, and so again, in theory in-ear monitors should always work better.

However, it's feels completely different, playing with in-ears. You get a very rough mix directly into your ears and blocks out the sound of the stage. It kinda kills the live feeling a bit in my opinion. It' harder to get into 'the zone' that way, at least it was for me.

There's also a higher risk of the sound guy messing up. You typically have a dedicated monitor mix engineer on stage with you, and with wedges the guy has to do three, maybe four main mixes. With in-ears, every individual musician has their own mix, which adds to the complexity. Also, since it blocks out stage-noise, a mistake in an in-ear mix is often exaggerated due to the organic sound of the stage not being able to make for it.

I doubt it's in-ears vs. wedges though. It's just the drumming mostly.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:

For what it's worth, it is perfectly feasible to mix in-ears and wedges in the same stage setup, depending on the preferences of the individual players.

Board footer