You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

AtariLegend wrote:

Listening to the recording someone posted of the 2nd night of Vegas, it's pretty clear just like the Chinese Democracy demos that all these tracks sound (from Appetite to Chinese) better without the extra guitar.

Duff sounds great, just like Tommy should have without the sound blocking him out. I still hear nothing wrong with the drums though tongue.

The only complaint is on DTJ, the jam is going on a bit too long. I know there were shows like that during the UYI tour, but it would be really easy not to recognize that it's the same track until the vocals pop in. It isn't smooth and I love the track, but it sounds a little like another band playing a cover in bits. Maybe it's a mixing thing, the rest of the show is great though.

As for DJ; I'll buy that DJ learned Slash was coming back last year, I won't buy that Axl tried to get him back afterwards. Maybe he did, it just wouldn't seem logical.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Listening to the recording someone posted of the 2nd night of Vegas, it's pretty clear just like the Chinese Democracy demos that all these tracks sound (from Appetite to Chinese) better without the extra guitar.

Duff sounds great, just like Tommy should have without the sound blocking him out. I still hear nothing wrong with the drums though tongue.

The only complaint is on DTJ, the jam is going on a bit too long. I know there were shows like that during the UYI tour, but it would be really easy not to recognize that it's the same track until the vocals pop in. It isn't smooth and I love the track, but it sounds a little like another band playing a cover in bits. Maybe it's a mixing thing, the rest of the show is great though.

As for DJ; I'll buy that DJ learned Slash was coming back last year, I won't buy that Axl tried to get him back afterwards. Maybe he did, it just wouldn't seem logical.

Great pat Atari!!  You could never hear Tommy and I think that was all that sub bass Pitman would add. With no Pit and 3rd guitar the band sounds more dynamic and distinctive.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Rex wrote:

Bullshit.

You really think DJ would pass up a payday like this? Not just the payday, but all the exposure to his shitty brand? I don't think so. The guy sells a custom Dodge Challenger on his website for fucks sake.

Yes, I do think DJ would pass up this pay day, because it makes sense.

A) DJ knew he would never have a creative outlet in GN'R... ever. He figured this out eventually.

B) DJ isn't stupid. He knows he can't hold Slash's guitar strap. For the same reasons Monkey stated, DJ would've been over-shadowed by Slash. Slash could smoke him on guitar as well. It was a lose-lose situation for him. He would never get to play lead material on that music, and fans would boo him anytime he did. Why would fans pay $200 large to see DJ soloing Slash's songs, with Slash standing right beside him?

C) Just because DJ & Slash can figure this out, doesn't mean Axl can. Axl tried to incorporate 3 guitars, specifically 2 leads, for years, even though it was totally obvious it didn't work, and was largely panned both critically and by fans. Why would this time be any different? If Axl likes 3 guitars, they stay. Regardless of what Slash wants. I still wouldn't be shocked on some new GN'R songs, if Richard doesn't have some leads instead of Slash. Why did Axl drop Bucket's Shackler's solo for Ron to just duplicate it? Why did Axl let Ron rape Brian May (one of his heroes) solos? Who knows... only Axl.

and D) Again it was lose-lose for DJ, and he had to see that. He could go to Sixx:AM, and live his dream. Recording his OWN music, and being  a lead guitarist in HIS band, with modest success. Or not have that, cash-in, and be single-handedly the most HATED man in a GN'R reunion, ruining his BRAND, which he's been trying to multi-market for years.

DJ saw the writing on the wall. He quit. But yet babyfaced, and kept that door cracked open, just in case for the future. Smart move. On all accounts.

Sixx:AM fans get DJ full-time

GN'R fans get their beloved Slash back

Axl & DJ get to stay friends, and save that "get out of jail free" card for a later date

DJ might've been the smartest man in the band by the time this is all said it done. People always underestimate him. I'm not talking music... but business-wise.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Rex wrote:

The majority of people going to these shows are casuals, not diehard GN'R fans making lists about why he turned down playing in a Gn'R reunion. 16

I'm making lists because of the fiction in this thread that said that DJ betrayed Axl by being involved with Sixx:Am when actually he was involved with them before, during and, after his tenure in GNR!

It's bleeding obvious that he quit GNR diplomatically when it was clear Slash was going to return, and the man himself admits he knew it was happening, but people want to deny that, and say he's lying, and deny the  very history of sixx:am so we can stick to an alternate version of events that is known in 'insider' circles by a group of people who aren't even really in the band.

Whatever folks. According to this thread -  DJ lied to and betrayed Axl, and he wrote all of Sixx's 3 albums and 3 Eps more than 5-6 years before they came out, he quit because he's a bastard and DJ and Slash splitting the lead guitar solos would have been a wonderful idea wholly embraced by hardcores and causals alike. 16

Way to exaggerate. I even said I was wrong in that he quit Sixx AM, but the truth is, he promised Axl GNR was his priority and would not tour with Sixx AM again, and blindsided the band  by leaving. I have that on good authority.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

And I'm glad the slimy little slash rip off, hair metal, generic motley crue , hot topic shopping, Steve Stevens fuckhead is gone.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I'm glad the slimy little slash rip off, hair metal, generic motley crue , hot topic shopping, Steve Stevens fuckhead is gone.

Says the guy who "hoped and wished" that THIS band would record something.

Hmmm

Btw

Steve Stevens is a kick ass guitarist. WTF are you smokin' ?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Rex wrote:

The majority of people going to these shows are casuals, not diehard GN'R fans making lists about why he turned down playing in a Gn'R reunion. 16

I'm making lists because of the fiction in this thread that said that DJ betrayed Axl by being involved with Sixx:Am when actually he was involved with them before, during and, after his tenure in GNR!

It's bleeding obvious that he quit GNR diplomatically when it was clear Slash was going to return, and the man himself admits he knew it was happening, but people want to deny that, and say he's lying, and deny the  very history of sixx:am so we can stick to an alternate version of events that is known in 'insider' circles by a group of people who aren't even really in the band.

Whatever folks. According to this thread -  DJ lied to and betrayed Axl, and he wrote all of Sixx's 3 albums and 3 Eps more than 5-6 years before they came out, he quit because he's a bastard and DJ and Slash splitting the lead guitar solos would have been a wonderful idea wholly embraced by hardcores and causals alike. 16

Way to exaggerate. I even said I was wrong in that he quit Sixx AM, but the truth is, he promised Axl GNR was his priority and would not tour with Sixx AM again, and blindsided the band  by leaving. I have that on good authority.

And if you have that on good authority, it's almost a guaranteed lock that DJ is telling the truth.

Which is scary

Axl originally considered...

Axl
Slash
DJ
Richard
Duff
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

For 2015-16?

If that's the case, why get rid of Tommy at all? If DJ can be there, why not have Duff AND Tommy? Why the fuck not?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

DJ might've been the smartest man in the band by the time this is all said it done. People always underestimate him. I'm not talking music... but business-wise.

Yep. DJ was made fun of because he sells shit and posts it online. He tries to look cool and try to make a living. They make fun of him because he wore a hat when he played for GNR. It doesn't take more than that. Dude can play guitar like a motherfucker and while Slash can repeat all his 25 year old solos for the umpteenth time, Ashba is delivering his best stuff yet on the last Sixx:Am record. People underestimate him because they are dumb.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

DCK wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Yep. DJ was made fun of because he sells shit and posts it online. He tries to look cool and try to make a living. They make fun of him because he wore a hat when he played for GNR. It doesn't take more than that. Dude can play guitar like a motherfucker and while Slash can repeat all his 25 year old solos for the umpteenth time, Ashba is delivering his best stuff yet on the last Sixx:Am record. People underestimate him because they are dumb.

Please. I got nothing against DJ the way some do, but to make out he's living the dream and breaking ground in Sixx:am while Slash is some kind of chump for playing his material to sold out stadiums around the world?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I have mixed views on DJ.

When DJ joined at first I thought it was positive that he stuck closer to the source material than Robin - I know you guys characterise it as Robin putting his own character into the songs - but to me it felt about as appropriate as it would be for Myles Kennedy to put his own spin on Brownstone by adding a new verse. That's just not how the songs go.

However DJ kinda took it too far - as it times it felt to me like his stage act was actually mimicking slash to an unnatural degree....it made the band seem inauthentic.

That said the hate for him is way out of line. He's a nice guy - and he can't help that he isn't slash - also the problems with his act were not entirely his own fault - his solo spots showed some talent - and I can't help but think if Axl had written some songs with him - if the band was still properly functional by that stage that it would have been easier to watch. Poor guy wasn't given a chance to do anything but mimic robin and slash and then he's hated for that.

It's wonderful to have slash back, but DJ in himself is ok with me.

I would have liked to see Motley Crue continue and DJ replace Mick Mars when his health forbids further playing, that would have been a better match than GNR all along.

Board footer