You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Lenny Kravitz on opening for GNR

faldor wrote:

I'd rather have Lenny open a few shows before I go, but looks like that won't happen. I'd rather know what I'm getting going in on the 19th, but I guess I'll have to make a judgement call that night.

johndivney wrote:

I have never seen anyone open for GnR.
Festival shows don't count. Don't even know who was in front of them at one & prodigy at Leeds 02 doesn't count.

I would maybe make an effort to see kravitz, just for the sake of seeing what he had to offer, but I would prob miss him just the same. I would make an effort to see AiC but I love them.

In America is the done thing to go to the venue & drink/hangout there? Here we're usually within walking distance or a taxi journey to the arena, what tends to happen is we'll congregate in bars or houses before heading over.
Or maybe that's mostly just me, I'm late for everything. Except for guns gigs..

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

Ok, ok...maybe he's had 2-3 legit radio hits...just none I really care to hear live lol.  But it looks like he's not the opener when I'm going anyway.  Now if it ends up being Myles Kennedy or some crap, I'll probably wish I'd had Kravitz on the bill.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Even though I no longer use drugs I guess I relapsed because that is a kick ass song. Takes me back to the late 90s....a great time to be alive. Too bad GNR weren't doing jack shit at the time. Would've made it even better.

I'll  always respect you, but never your awful taste in music most times.  tongue:dj:

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I have never seen anyone open for GnR.
Festival shows don't count. Don't even know who was in front of them at one & prodigy at Leeds 02 doesn't count.

I would maybe make an effort to see kravitz, just for the sake of seeing what he had to offer, but I would prob miss him just the same. I would make an effort to see AiC but I love them.

In America is the done thing to go to the venue & drink/hangout there? Here we're usually within walking distance or a taxi journey to the arena, what tends to happen is we'll congregate in bars or houses before heading over.
Or maybe that's mostly just me, I'm late for everything. Except for guns gigs..

For these stadium shows there will be a lot of tailgating. People will show up early and setup camp in the parking lot and pre game. Drink some beers, grill up some food, etc. For smaller shows where they don't allow tailgating at the venue, people will congregate at a bar beforehand or they'll start at home. I've got a hotel room for the 19th in Foxboro (actually 4, but that's another story and we need to cancel some of those). I have Patriots season tickets at Gillette and traffic is pretty much a nightmare getting in and out of there. Didn't really feel like dealing with that before a 2 hour ride home at 2AM. So we'll start at the hotel and my hope is to head to the parking lot to join the party before it gets too crazy. Depending on how things go or how I'm feeling, I'll make a call on whether to see Lenny or not. I've offered my services to drive, so I'll do my drinking early on and take it easy once I head into the show. My wallet will thank me, and I'd like to avoid blackout stage as I'd like to remember every single moment of the night. I've been to a bunch of shows that I enjoyed immensely, but struggle to remember the finer details to say the least. Don't want that to happen this time. It may be tough, but I have faith in myself.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am watching his special documentary on Showtime right now.  This is some great shit.  He plays all the instruments on the albums I think and then the band learns them.  Some good performances.  He is a perfectionist and they rehearse like crazy.  He is a real pro and really talented.

Lomax wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am watching his special documentary on Showtime right now.  This is some great shit.  He plays all the instruments on the albums I think and then the band learns them.  Some good performances.  He is a perfectionist and they rehearse like crazy.  He is a real pro and really talented.

He puts some really cool videos online for his fans too.

He posted this short video of himself working on the track Superlove from Black and White America a few years back.
It's really cool watching him do all the different parts and hearing how it comes together.

I just found he posted a few more:

Also this video is brilliant.
He's in New Orleans and hears a group of kids singing his song down the street.
He goes down to join in but lets the kids keep the spotlight.
Really cool:

I like Lenny a lot. He has some really good music some absolutely classic albums. His first 3 and his most recent 3 are excellent, some of the middle ones I'm not so fond of, but they came out in the late nineties to mid 2000s. Rock n Roll was truly dead during that period.
He's also got that musical ability that people like Prince had where he can play almost anything to a virtuoso level with ease.

Also. Lenny mentioned fields of Joy in that interview.
It's got one of Slash's best solos from all of his work on it.
If having Kravitz around keeps Slash that inspired it can only be a good thing. 

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes, Lenny is Legit.

mrsaxlrose
 Rep: 2 

mrsaxlrose wrote:

I love Lenny!   Wish he was coming to the Philly show.  Now I have to buy tickets to a show in NJ too!

Board footer