You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Detroit June 23rd 2016 - Opening Night of "Not In This Lifetime" ST

I have no feelings one way or the other about The Seeker, but I do wish they'd put Sailing back into the setlist. That, with Axl's voice on its present form, and a Slash solo... 11

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I have no feelings one way or the other about The Seeker, but I do wish they'd put Sailing back into the setlist. That, with Axl's voice on its present form, and a Slash solo... 11

Exactly!  Or even Mama Kin or something. The Seeker sucks balls.

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

No "Patience" in the set list?!?!?

Way too many covers to be leaving out GNR classics.  Drop a couple covers not named KOHD and This I Love...add Patience, Locomotive, and Think About You...that would then be a dream set list for me...although I would switch DTJ with The Garden or Yesterdays.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
chad4bama wrote:

Way too many covers to be leaving out GNR classics.  Drop a couple covers not named KOHD and This I Love...add Patience, Locomotive, and Think About You...that would then be a dream set list for me...although I would switch DTJ with The Garden or Yesterdays.

Lack of patience is criminal.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

chad4bama wrote:

This I Love isn't a cover.

KOHD, also, while technically a cover,  I think the GnR version is the most widely known and appreciated version of the song.

I agree its odd to leave out a song like Patience.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Slash's solo on This I Love is great.

Again the crowd weren't into it. Prostitute is way better than it.

Show was great.

Just wished for 4 encores.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

What a great show!

I'm not sure I can say this was my favorite Guns N' Roses show that I've ever seen but it was the best managed and produced Guns N' Roses concert that I've ever been to without a doubt.

Outside of Ford Field, there were a myriad of merch trucks, radio stations, local photographers, and a ton of stuff happening at and around the venue. The was a pre-party at The Fillmore, a giant faux spray paint GN'R logo on the side of a nearby parking structure, and a sea of men and women of all ages dressed in GNR merch (most of which was suspiciously new, but I digress).

Inside, the security got you through the doors quickly and had about 3 additional security checks before you hit the pit. When the show finally started, the production team did a killer job with the lighting, video packages, and pyro. It looked and felt like a proper tour. For GN'R, it hasn't felt that way since 2006 and even that wasn't to this scale (and I'd argue it damned well better be given the ticket prices). All of these details add up and make for a more complete concert-going experience, not to mention make it easier for hardcore fans to get those coveted spots on the rail.

There was a great energy for pretty much the entire set. It was all the powerful forward momentum of rock n' roll. The drums were loud and everyone seemed ready to go off the bat. I was beyond excited to hear "Coma" and "Double Talkin Jive" in person for the first time and you could feel a different energy on those songs as opposed to the old stalwarts like "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Nightrain". I've seen a lot of criticism of "The Seeker" but it sounded incredible and the whole band, especially Axl sounded beyond thrilled to be playing it. Frank is hardly my favorite GN'R drummer but he sounded really quite good to my untrained ears. He didn't play the drum breakdown on "Better" though and I was a little bit bummed by that but overall that's a minor complaint.

The only bump in the road was "This I Love", which I do like, but felt out of place in the set as it's hard to sing along to and stopped the momentum to that point. There also were a couple of technical hiccups that Axl worked through (I can't remember the song TBH but something about not being able to hear himself) and Slash when he broke his guitar string on "Nightrain" and switched up the outro. I can't really speak to the overall crowd energy because my ears were gone as soon as they hit "Jungle" but the reaction seemed quite positive and the house was packed.

A cool moment was when Axl joked with the crowd about not singing back on "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and said something to the effect of, "Oh, so you mean, fuck you Axl then...". Then I gave a joking thumbs up which he seemed to catch and then pointed back at me grinning. That's my little fanboy moment of the night.

13398860_1062774167142504_402248109_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI3OTU1NjA5MzYwNTE5MjI4Mg%3D%3D.2

chad4bama wrote:

No "Patience" in the set list?!?!?.

I honestly don't care. I don't want to hear similar songs and they're already playing DC and TIL. But I don't want to hear Nightrain, OTGM, or YCBM together in the same set either.

DtM51 wrote:

I was watching periscope (still am), Really REALLY thought they were gonna play Riad before they started Rocket Queen.. They must have at least rehearsed it because that was definitely the intro. Hope they play it

Yep, they definitely did. I shouted out "wooooo Rhiad" and then felt kinda dumb when they went into RQ.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Nice review, man.

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

Yeah, I know This I Love isn't a cover...I guess my sentence structure left something to be desired.  I meant I'd like to see a couple of covers, plus This I Love, be dropped...and Locomotive, Think About You, and Patience added in their place.

It's crazy to leave out "Patience" though...unless he forgot how to whistle lol.  Hopefully the set-list will be tweaked as they go...also, it makes no sense to throw in a cover in the encore especially.  I know this is all just nit-picking...the fact they played for over 2 1/2 hours is great...hope they do that on every stop.  Everyone has their personal "preferences" when it comes to the set-list.  But, again, it's crazy to leave out Patience...probably one of their 3-4 biggest hits, chart-wise.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

When I saw GNR in 2010, they left Patience out of the set the show I went to, but in fairness to them, they played pretty different sets in two nights in my province, so if anyone went to both shows, they heard a lot of different tracks. I can't say it pissed me off too much, but I also can say that right after the show, I thought to myself "hey... no Patience". It's such a giant hit and a nice, mellow tune and for me is the only glaring omission in that set list.

The GNR well has so many hits and songs are too long to play 'em all. It's the only reason stuff like The Seeker is looked down on... trading a GNR favorite is tough. One can understand Duff getting a Spaghetti Incident song and if they put Coma in there for Slash and the hardcore fans to get everyone off.

Better is a great song, This I Love is a favorite that means so much, but maybe Chinese Democracy is the one that could be left behind as it's actually one of the weaker tracks on the album anyways. I see every other song on the set's meaning to the group and show, but CD is like... meh. Good song, but it's not even really gonna pop the hardcores and the old school fans might not even know it. I'd take Slither any day over CD or The Seeker. At the end of the day, it'd just be fun for them to play it. Or maybe even have Seeker or CD somewhere in the middle for a piss break song.

All in all, I'm being way overly critical, the set list is off the charts.

Board footer