You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Re: Quote Hunt

Gagarin wrote:

The gist is Axl is saying that "For years I had Slash and Stephanie and everyone else saying everything I wrote was terrible and I was no good, so getting back to writing was just hard." Anyone remember a quote like that or know the source?
Could not find in Axl chats - though I might have missed it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This isn't it but on a similar theme:

Why didn't you write 'Appetite'-style songs yourself then?

Part of what destroyed Guns was the battle between those guitars that works so well for 'Appetite.' I have no concept how to duplicate that with either the old guys or anyone else. I liked it then but can't say I truly understood their nature as I feel I do now. Make no mistake: That was a war and the efforts of one man to "successfully" remove another in his path between him and I. Neither player wants to deal with each other in those ways again. Those battles have already been fought, both sides went their prospective ways. Regardless of if they were to work together or not, the true dynamics of back then aren't something Izzy has an interest in or would allow himself to actually be in to such a degree other than for appearances, if that. Also, anything I had written I felt was in similar directions then, during and after the 'Illusions' tour was more than rejected by both Slash and Duff at a time, which greatly helped destroy whatever confidence I may have had at the time.

Gagarin

Gagarin wrote:

THANKS! That helped me refine my searches - here it is:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/musi … e/1669329/

Stephanie Seymour and original Guns guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan "did more damage to my ability as a writer. To those three, it was all crap. It beat me down so much. At the time of the (Use Your Illusion) tours, Slash and Duff said, 'You're an idiot, you're a loser.' I didn't write for years. I felt I was hindered for a very long time. I was also trying to figure out what I wanted to say, when it's right to be venting and when you're digging a bigger hole. Lyrics on Chinese took a long time."

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Axl`s victim complex gets irritating after a while plus he`s insecure I don`t understand why dude is insanely gifted. I refuse to believe Slash and Duff ever called him an idiot and a loser.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Axl`s victim complex gets irritating after a while plus he`s insecure I don`t understand why dude is insanely gifted. I refuse to believe Slash and Duff ever called him an idiot and a loser.

How about a microphone abuser?

Nod to Fred Durst there.

Gagarin

Gagarin wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I completely believe that. He said "No. No, I don’t wanna get involved in any kind of Stephanie Seymour ballads or any of that sh*t” to the press - think about how hurtful that would be to read - so I can't imagine what would have been said in private.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I completely believe that. He said "No. No, I don’t wanna get involved in any kind of Stephanie Seymour ballads or any of that sh*t” to the press - think about how hurtful that would be to read - so I can't imagine what would have been said in private.

Slash saying he did n`t want to get involved in any " Stephanie Seymour ballads " and caling him an idiot or a loser are different things. Axl should put on his big boy pants and stop blaming others for everything. I don`t think Slash or Duff ever had guts to confront Axl let alone insult or berate him so, I call this bullshit.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Axl overthinks and out thinks himself, but it is very common for insanely creative people to feel the need to immediately destroy what they have created.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I had never read that interview before, it's really insightful.

I don't know what to believe. It's hard to decipher without a lot more insight on what happened, but it is hard to believe Duff and Slash talked shit on everything he did at that point. Maybe they did it out of frustration of how everything was going? Axl may be hypersensitive and have strange interpretations, but I'm not so sure in 2012 he'd bring stuff like that up without legit merit or still feeling strong to that conviction.

I painted my GNR picture from Slash's book. When Duff wrote his, I thought that'd be more accurate, but he basically glosses over everything that people would want to read about. Axl said a lot of Slash's book wasn't true at that recent interview. It's safe to say shit went down between these three guys that none of them are ever going to air, especially now. I don't know the meaning behind the whole Stephanie Seymour ballads quote you're bringing up, but if Slash said that, you never know. Because how many GNR songs were ballads written about women? Tons, so maybe Slash was just bitter at everything Axl would do and it pushed him away. Who knows.

Gagarin

Gagarin wrote:

Substance abuse can make people awful cruel.

Board footer