You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Izzy tweet about Axl and Duff interview

tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

He did not write the main riffs on songs like Jungle, Child, or Paradise City. These particular songs were written based on Slash's riffs. It's revisionist history to say Izzy came up with those big guns that the general public most associates with this band. Axl is most responsible for the lyrics and vocal melodies of those songs. The band would be a little cult band if Sweet Child didn't blow up the way it did.

When did we start keeping score by the hits, or what the general public most associates with? Not getting at you tejastech, I've seen other people say this as well. It's just, we're here because we love all the records and songs & know the value of them. So when you're saying that PC is more valuable than say Coma, well that doesn't really cut it in these parts: it's the tunes that matter, not the amount of cash the song makes.

Look at it this way, would you be a fan if there had been only Jungle, SCOM & PC on AFD? There must be more to it than that to have kept you a fan for fuckin however many number of years? Izzy's contributions must've played some part in that.

There'd have been absolutely nothing wrong had they just been a cult band. We'd still have had the tunes, that's all that matters.

Because that is ultimately what is driving this stadium tour. I love Izzy's contributions. But I'm not Joe Schmoe casual fan buying a ticket to the stadium tour. Those fuckers pay to see the really big hits. This all started with someone claiming Izzy was THE principal songwriter. I straight up disagree with that notion. He is a damn good songwriter and he played an important role in the band, but I don't believe there was a single principal songwriter. This wasn't Motley Crue. It was a group of talented songwriters.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Whatever the situation around Izzy's touring... I wonder what it means for any unheard material sitting in the vault that he co-wrote? We know he wrote Down By The Ocean for Axl, we know he worked on a lot of the tracks in the Velvet Revolver vault. Can he veto their use on any putative future album, or does the material belong to Axl (or Slash and Duff?).

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Whatever the situation around Izzy's touring... I wonder what it means for any unheard material sitting in the vault that he co-wrote? We know he wrote Down By The Ocean for Axl, we know he worked on a lot of the tracks in the Velvet Revolver vault. Can he veto their use on any putative future album, or does the material belong to Axl (or Slash and Duff?).

This is Down By The Ocean.

johndivney wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

He did not write the main riffs on songs like Jungle, Child, or Paradise City. These particular songs were written based on Slash's riffs. It's revisionist history to say Izzy came up with those big guns that the general public most associates with this band. Axl is most responsible for the lyrics and vocal melodies of those songs. The band would be a little cult band if Sweet Child didn't blow up the way it did.

When did we start keeping score by the hits, or what the general public most associates with? Not getting at you tejastech, I've seen other people say this as well. It's just, we're here because we love all the records and songs & know the value of them. So when you're saying that PC is more valuable than say Coma, well that doesn't really cut it in these parts: it's the tunes that matter, not the amount of cash the song makes.

Look at it this way, would you be a fan if there had been only Jungle, SCOM & PC on AFD? There must be more to it than that to have kept you a fan for fuckin however many number of years? Izzy's contributions must've played some part in that.

There'd have been absolutely nothing wrong had they just been a cult band. We'd still have had the tunes, that's all that matters.

Because that is ultimately what is driving this stadium tour. I love Izzy's contributions. But I'm not Joe Schmoe casual fan buying a ticket to the stadium tour. Those fuckers pay to see the really big hits. This all started with someone claiming Izzy was THE principal songwriter. I straight up disagree with that notion. He is a damn good songwriter and he played an important role in the band, but I don't believe there was a single principal songwriter. This wasn't Motley Crue. It was a group of talented songwriters.

Aye fair enough, you're right.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

To clarify, he was not THE sole single songwriter - he was a major factor and hugely influential part of their sound and attitude. To dismiss him in the importance of GNR legacy for the sake of more $$ is sad is all I'm saying...

elevendayempire

Ragnar wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

This is Down By The Ocean.

[/embed]
Well, Izzy has past form in re-using riffs that he wrote for other projects, so that doesn't rule out seeing the original version some time.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

To clarify, he was not THE sole single songwriter - he was a major factor and hugely influential part of their sound and attitude. To dismiss him in the importance of GNR legacy for the sake of more $$ is sad is all I'm saying...

Of the group...I don't blame Slash. Divorce and all. Gotta get the money back from that situation. Squeezing out Stradlin helps him get back the money he gave to Perla. Duff was the peacemaker for Axl and Slash, so maybe he feels like he fully earned his share and shouldn't have to give up anything. Axl is Izzy's oldest connection in the band, but maybe he holds it against Izzy that he demanded large amounts of cash in previous guest appearances with nu-GN'R. Who knows.

elevendayempire

The situation basically seems to be that Izzy overestimated his value. Back when Axl was trying to reinvent GN'R, having Izzy turn up for guest slots lent it some legitimacy (likewise with his occasional appearances for Velvet Revolver).

But with the Big Three reunited, as far as the vast majority of the audience is concerned, this line-up is legitimate (it's at least as legitimate as the UYI tour line-up, which also swapped out Izzy and Adler for new personnel). So Izzy isn't necessary to legitimise the line-up, except to a vanishingly small number of hardcore fans (doubly so, when they've managed to get Adler back in the drum seat). Izzy would be a nice bonus, but he's clearly not worth the price that he thinks he commands. And Axl, Slash and Duff have rather proved their point, since the tour has been a massive success without Izzy; his bargaining position has slipped even further.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Asks maximum payment for minimal effort. Fucking Communist.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think it's all about reliability...can Izzy be relied upon to show up at every gig?

History says no...so here is a smaller cut...show up when u want

Buts it's been about the $$$ since UYI when they had individual writing credits assigned

Board footer