You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: Song Idea for GNR

Ragnar wrote:

My excitement faded after Vegas gigs. Only music will peak up my interest, nothing else.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

Seeing how a lot of Axls work is inspired by world events, example; Civil War, I think the events of the last couple years, and 2016 especially are filled with fuel for lyrics. Axl, Duff and Fortus, as well as crew like Del James, have a strong anti Trump stance and that right there can inspire a song. I think the band has way more songwriting potential then many people would think. They reunited after so many years, that could inspire songs like 14 years. World events, which they all share similar opinions, making the writing easier (based of twitter posts). Mick Wall says NEW material coming, take it as what you will. They were on a list to release something, be it an album, live cd, who knows. But that happened. I said it before and say it again, this band named its tour "Not in This Lifetime", came back out of nowhere on APRIL FOOLS day. Most of there promotion has been fucking with the fans, and its my opinion that's why an album will come out. Because no one expects it and have written them off again...that means no media trying to tear it down before it comes out. If and when Slash just goes back to conspirators after the tour ends, and Axl does nothing, and Duff does what Duff does, then okay. I will accept that i am a big dummy. But i think they know this is there last chance. None of there solo adventures would ever be able to top what a new GNR album could do. Either they put something out before the end of 2017 or they are done. Going back to the Mick Wall comment and how the whole promotion has been fucking with fans, maybe its the start of that promotion. I'd really like to know how close Mick is to the camp these days, i know he's publicly retracted the whole book he wrote on Axl. They know they have a rabid fan base online, they know there are sites that will pick up on little discreet comments, like DJ Ashba's FB comment or whatever basically acknowledging he left for Slash to come back. Duffs wife friend going "Guns n Roses are back motherfuckers" or something like that. I think that was planned. Again, Rabid fan base picks up on things, sites like Alternative Nation write an article on it. Promotion. I wouldn't be surprised if we got an album completely unannounced at this point. Long post i know, but am i just rabid, or right?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I don't think a new album will ever be released.

Guns N' Roses was a time and a place.

I could see them dropping a re-done CD II song as a single to keep interest but that's about it. I'd call that a mistake, too.

My dream scenario is that Axl retires GN'R and creates a new band. Most likely is he tries to do Hollywood. Likelier still is he hangs 'em up.

It sucks to admit but GN'R is over, the CD band is over. Let go, move on. I like all of you fine people but I think that's how it is.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
DtM51 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got an album completely unannounced at this point. Long post i know, but am i just rabid, or right?

Hopefully you're right.

Trying to be objective - all the guns are loaded in a way, all signs point to something before this time next year:

* Whatever label negativity surrounding a new GNR record would have dissipated with the return of Slash.

* Axl said he wanted to release new music, and Slash and Duff always want to make records.

* Axl has around 2 semi-finished Chinese Records done from 2006 (atlas, slikworms etc). He's also got CD1 remixes to play with.  There's also the unused material from 1996 or whenever it was Slash was still around. Then there's the DJ ashba riffs Axl was working on vocals for in 2012. Then there's the Slash riffs Richard mentioned working on. Meanwhile Slash was said to be recording for GNR at the start of the year. So basically the vaults are fucking overflowing with potential GNR releases.

* Next year is the anniversary of AFD, providing a wonderful chance to drop a remastered version or package that with some new songs, or an EP or a full on Album as a double pack.

So basically everything points to something happening soon.

Then again, I don't need to tell you guys that the history of GNR for the past 20 years is a history of not taking advantage of situations. A friend joked to me the other day that if you intentionally wanted the CD era to fail and brainstormed ways to make it happen you'd some out with a list a lot like what they chose to do during that time. Axl seems in good spirits at the moment with Ac/Dc and all...so lets hope those days are behind us.

So to me it's kinda an even chance. It would be utterly insane if they didn't put out a record....but then again.....this is GNR.....you can never assume they will act in their own interests!

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Being objective:

- CD sold ~3 million copies.
- Reception was tepid amongst fans and critics.
- CD likely recouped it's costs thanks to Azoff and Best Buy.
- On CD II "if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some".

So if you're the record company and the market hated CD, why release CD II?

It is possible a re-recorded CD II gets released but it'll be after the cow has been milked dry.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Because the recordings are already 90% paid for.

The best buy deal recouped all the costs associated with the Chinese Democracy recording sessions - which not only included the album we got but the mythical second and third album tracks that sit in a vault.

Any further recording would be minor - Slash could over dub some new solos in a matter of days. 

This means to put out that album the label is not up for any more recording costs, only mixing and mastering which is pocket change to them - so with the album already paid for - the sales it does are basically gravy for them.

What they might be nervous about is shelling out for a full scale marketing campaign, and I would wager that was the hold up for the previous incarnation of the band - Axl probably wanted a full scale commitment worthy of the GNR brand but the label was thinking it was more of a boutique project.

Now with a reunion tour doing crazy money, and Slash back in the fold, the demand is there for new product, the label would be much more willing to talk about proper marketing. Especially if the product also involved a AFD remaster or a hits disc as part of it or something that would be guaranteed to move some units.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Because the recordings are already 90% paid for.

That's irrelevant.

Cornshucker, Shadow Of Your Love, etc. were recorded but they were also garbage and throw in the dumpster pile.

The main question in the labels mind is going to be: Will it make money? The second question they'll ask is: Does this live up to the GN'R brand? That is, will it damage or improve the Guns N' Roses brand value - make us less money or more money?

I'd wager they have more money to make marketing it as "The Lost GNR Album" after Axl croaks than now.

We'll see but I bet an industry executive has long since tapped Axl on the shoulder telling him father time is calling him.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

That's irrelevant.

Cornshucker, Shadow Of Your Love, etc. were recorded but they were also garbage and throw in the dumpster pile.

The main question in the labels mind is going to be: Will it make money? The second question they'll ask is: Does this live up to the GN'R brand? That is, will it damage or improve the Guns N' Roses brand value - make us less money or more money?

Well I'm not saying release every idea Axl had, but with 2 albums spare from 2006, more recording done in 2012, and more done again at the start of this year....and probably other sessions that didn't make the media too....I find it doubtful that there are only Cornshuckers left and not a single release worthy track.

As for it damaging the brand....that might have been a consideration with fink at the helm, but it's not with Slash. Look at the way he plays songs like Chinese Democracy, Better, and This I Love live - a way which immediately made them more consistent with the back catalogue. It would be very easy to get him and duff to rock up some ideas from the vault too.

What actually damages GNR's credibility is the perception that they are not creatively vital as a band, that they are a nostalgia act, that they haven't written a song since replacing half the band with live session players - all of this type of negative thinking would be put to bed with a single. Hell even A "Rock or Bust" style throw away track where both Axl and Slash sounded old school would win over the masses.

So from the label's point of view - they already mostly paid for the next record - so anything that it sells will be pure profit - and lets face it - even an under-peforming GNR record would outsell unknown new bands and similar risks that the label might otherwise invest in. Meanwhile with Slash and Axl helming the band...it's highly doubtful a new album would tank....actually it's more likely to be embraced by those wanting to relive the era...such as how both Ac/Dc's black Ice, and Metallica's recent album were warmly received as returns to form.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Those Slash's 'seeds of songs' were revealed by Fortus almost exactly two years ago. By hindsight, we know that reconciliation was happening at the time. Surely, there's a backbone to a new album -  Slash mixed with CD material, the very thing Axl always wanted to achieve.

The question is, how to release and sell an album in this day and age. Personally, I'd go for a digital release with a limited edition vinyl. The real reason, however, would be the opportunity to keep on touring. They could do another globe-trot without complaints. That's what acts of Guns' stature are supposed to do, surely. Release new music and tour behind it.

Duff has the business acumen and Slash the work ethic to talk Axl into it. They all know this is an opportune moment to cash in. Having said that, there's bound to be a heap of things, legal and otherwise, that'd need to be settled beforehand - not to mention, seeing how the reformation does financially and how the band dynamics evolve.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

What actually damages GNR's credibility is the perception that they are not creatively vital as a band, that they are a nostalgia act, that they haven't written a song since replacing half the band with live session players - all of this type of negative thinking would be put to bed with a single. Hell even A "Rock or Bust" style throw away track where both Axl and Slash sounded old school would win over the masses.

I agree in general.

My overall point was we don't know if the unreleased material is releasable. There's an album and there's the "right" album.

apex-twin wrote:

The question is, how to release and sell an album in this day and age.

I think a box set of alternative versions throughout the years would be a smart and logical choice. If they're worried about the Chinese material not being attractive enough, they can bundle in Classic GN'R outtakes and such ala Michael Jackson's HIStory.

As far as marketing, they need someone with their finger on the pulse. I don't trust anyone in their camp to do that properly. If they outsource to a vendor, that could work, but it's likely it ends up being fairly bland. Video shoots are low budget affairs these days and the quality is garbage. Also Axl would need to aggressively break his iconoclastic streak and show up for promotion.

Board footer