You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Deconstructing GNR's Tour Profits

monkeychow wrote:

I saw in the media today that GNR's Australian Tour hit $38,291,060 (USD) gross for 8 Shows.

Normally it would go something like 40% costs, 30% commissions, and 30% act.

So That's:

Costs: $15,316,424
Commissions: $11,487,318
GNR: $11,487,318

Then the profit rumour is that it's 50% Axl, and 25% Slash, and 25% Duff.

So that's take home of:

Axl: $5,743,659
Slash:2,871,829
Duff: 2,871,829.5

So then you consider it was for 8 shows.

So average loot per show would be something like:

Axl: $717,957
Slash :$358,978
Duff :$358,978

Although someone has to pay Dizzy, Richard, Melissa and Frank. One might assume given Axl's control of the band that they might come out of just his share....then again...I guess everyone needs the backing band to play with...so there would also be some justification to split it...or to add it on as a gross expense of the tour before profit participation.

Some other things to consider would be:

- Merch sales....can only speculate how much they sell but it would be a lot.
- Team brazil would likely be included in those commissions.

The travel might suck a bit...but the schedule doesn't seem too bad...lots of breaks...but overall....sounds pretty good...especially when you consider you're playing music on your worknights to  an adoring audience and the rest of the time will be spent in luxury accomodation with custom food etc....

I guess life on the road would be kinda hard but I can see why bands of this level mount a big tour every few years.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

The numbers are great, no doubt, but this is their only shot at the sold out stadiums. They will be an arena act next time around, which is nothing to sneeze at, but this will be their biggest pay day.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I guess life on the road would be kinda hard

Yea sleeping on a pile of money must really hurt your back. My heart bleeds.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

So that's fighter pilot money.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Hahah yeah!

I think it's rougher for mid level bands. Years ago I remember sebastian bach posting about how he gets lonely on the road - like he loves that people cheer the shows but cos he's famous and they're not they're not real friends just like fans, then you go back to the hotel and you're hyped up from the show and there's nothing to do and you're all alone, so you go to the bar downstairs and have a beer or two...then you do that daily....next thing you know you're a drunk. I can see how even though that beats my job it would get old.

Then again I think the GNR style would be much more fun. Enough money to bring your mates and hangers on - and massages/chefs or whatever the fuck you wanna bring to ease the pain lol...then its first class all the way around the world only working every few days....looks nice.

I'd love to see the merch numbers too. Would be insane.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

gnr can do another massively successful stadium tour with a proper album release, imo.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

dalethirsty wrote:

gnr can do another massively successful stadium tour with a proper album release, imo.

I agree. After this tour is over the size of the crowds they play to thereafter is really down to them.

Do nothing and then try do it all again in 2-3 years then yes it's probably going to be an arena tour. Drop an album with a couple of good singles on it and I think they can do another stadium run.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

A new album, but more importantly IMO, a hit single.  One hit single and people will stop talking reunion, and start talking comeback.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
RaZor wrote:

A new album, but more importantly IMO, a hit single.  One hit single and people will stop talking reunion, and start talking comeback.

Something akin to when Ac/Dc dropped "Rock and Roll Train" from the "Black Ice" album would do the trick. Obviously didn't do pop numbers but went right up the rock charts, and announced the band was back with a new reunion album.

Question is what would the downtime be realistically? I mean they have some recordings in the vault which Slash could add to in literally a few days.

But then realistically I feel like it would be more like 2 years by the time we add in some tinker time, some market-refresh time from this tour, and a bit of procrastination and negotiation time.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Hahah yeah!

I think it's rougher for mid level bands. Years ago I remember sebastian bach posting about how he gets lonely on the road - like he loves that people cheer the shows but cos he's famous and they're not they're not real friends just like fans, then you go back to the hotel and you're hyped up from the show and there's nothing to do and you're all alone, so you go to the bar downstairs and have a beer or two...then you do that daily....next thing you know you're a drunk. I can see how even though that beats my job it would get old.

Then again I think the GNR style would be much more fun. Enough money to bring your mates and hangers on - and massages/chefs or whatever the fuck you wanna bring to ease the pain lol...then its first class all the way around the world only working every few days....looks nice.

I'd love to see the merch numbers too. Would be insane.

"Mid level band" is probably a generous label for Sebastian Bach or Skid Row these days. They are both bowling alley type acts now. But yeah, I would guess it's not that great of a life for the bands who aren't at the superstar level.

It's pretty amazing that Axl did everything he could to fuck up the GN'R brand, but it's still a stadium act with Slash involved. People want to see the two of them on that stage together, plain and simple. It's really the last big reunion that anyone gives a shit about at this point, probably because rock and roll itself pretty much died in the mid-1990's when pop and rap took over.

Board footer