You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: European Tour 2017 Thread

buzzsaw wrote:

I've yet to see a show that was as good on youtube as it was being there.  Maybe you overlook some of the weakness of the voice because the experience is so good, but it really doesn't matter.  The fact is most singers in their 50s and beyond can't hit the notes like they used to.  Just in the past couple years I've seen Def Leppard, Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Huey Lewis, Paul Simon, Toto, Billy Joel, and probably some others.  They all showed some signs of age.  The only older one I thought didn't that I've seen recently is Stevie Wonder. 

Axl was hit and miss live in the 90s.  You can't realistically expect it to be good every night in 2017.  Enjoy the experience for what it is.

Agree completely with this. A youtube video only tells some of the story. The energy and atmosphere of the crowd is such a big factor and a video can never do that justice.

It's funny at the show on Saturday I remember thinking Axl sounded absolutely killer. Yet watching the videos back he sounds much the same as he has on the rest of the tour. I went with a couple of friends who are only casual fans and both said after the show how good he sounded.

I think monkey hit the nail on the head in another thread. From a forum perspective the same show night in night out leaves little to discuss after a while and people get bored. However when you're actually there in the middle of it, you don't care one bit that you're watching the same setlist they did in Spain 3 nights earlier. It's just a none issue.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck Axl sounded badass and Slash was insane at yesterday's show. Wow!!! Looks like it was an amazing show!!!

Saboteur
 Rep: 4 

Saboteur wrote:

It was brilliant show. I was there.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

An interesting, if slightly old, article on the current tour

http://mobileproductionpro.com/publicat … _v9_i8.pdf

johndivney wrote:

"Who can complain about having to listen to Nov Rain every night?"

Guy obv doesn't gnrevo.

A Private Eye

Jarmo is assistant tour manager?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Jarmo is assistant tour manager?

Yup.

It's one of those things that's hard to get your head around.

I mean the guy openly mocked Slash and people who like slash for around a decade.

Additionally while GNR no doubt has it's share of bad users and trolls he was openly hostile, aggressive and patronising to many fans - the same people who are really the bands consumers and customer base.

So on an artistic level he mocked the art, on a commercial level he mocked the patrons.

This is rewarded with a dream job in the industry.

Only in GNR I guess.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Asst tour manager is the job you give your sister's useless kid who can't do anything else, and your mom gives you shit to give him a job that makes him sound important. He was a tour photographer at one point and his photos were really, really poor. I'm not saying that to be mean but it was like handing a camera to whatever fan in the crowd and telling him to take pictures of the show. Looks like they couldn't justify that anymore. There were pictures of jarmo in Axl's pool with Fernando and Vanessa. That about sums it up.

And yeah, jarmo banned me for defending Slash. He started a thread recounting every lie in a Slash's book. I thought it was a pathetic attempt to get Axl's attention. And it worked! 16

johndivney wrote:

"Who can complain about having to listen to Nov Rain every night?"

Guy obv doesn't gnrevo.

Lol

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Asst tour manager is the job you give your sister's useless kid who can't do anything else, and your mom gives you shit to give him a job that makes him sound important.

Yeah it's probably a nonsense job. But I'm jealous anyway. I mean we're at desks or whatever and he's touring the world listening to GNR every night...also he could learn the ropes of how shit works over all the past tours and eventually leverage his way from the experience into doing stuff for other artists too.

I guess good luck to him really, it's just one of the less palatable outcomes in the GNR fan stories to me. It's beyond me how he could trash Slash so badly and then be still welcome when Slash returns. But the whole organisation has been crazy for a long time.

A Private Eye

That cartoon someone made of Jarmo doing this exact 180 (or would it be a 360?) always made me laugh. Tried looking for it just now but looks  like someone has had it removed from the web.

Board footer