You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Re: Is This Forum Dying?

Brett wrote:

I can't be the only one here stoned as fuck happy listening to Pigs on the Wing

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Oh crap...I forgot about Russ...why did he leave? Did it have anything to do with your reasons for not posting?

I'll give you my 2c on it for the sake of it, but I hope it's clear this is all old drama to me and I really don't care or hold any grudges anymore...looking back it's sad it happened and a fuss about nothing...but if you're interested to know why I bailed this is my version of it:

* It was that period where a lot of discussion devolved into Old vs New GNR arguments which got a bit nasty.

* Russ was working really hard daily to bring content to the forum.

* Bono got into disputes with a few posters, some people felt he was a troll and abusive while others felt he just had an aggressive language style but was otherwise ok.

* I and others became worried that some of the moderation at the time might be headed towards HTGTH style censorship. I was concerned that we should have freedom to be 'negative' if the need arose. I may have been wrong that it was happening. I dunno now. Either way my questioning the umpire/referee may have offended Russ.

* There was some catalyst event. Bono was rude to someone in a thread and banned, at the time I felt that there was provocation - like he was baited into a rude remark by something rude said to him first.  So I started championing his cause that it wasn't fair. Basically this led to a few weeks of disputes on the chat feed and people arguing for or against bono being banned.

* I gather Russ wanted mods to be in unanimous agreement about things, but as with most things in GNR land this often wasn't the case and so the infighting spread to the mods.

* I got some PM's supporting my stance. Some people speculated I should be made a mod.

* The whole place became highschool drama land with people in groups "for" or "against" bono's ban.

* Bono then rejoined the forum under a fake name and continued life. He sent a PM to me and a few of his supporters thanking them for the support.

* My honest opinion of Russ was that he was a cool guy but that we disagreed on pointless GNR stuff. Like on a simple level I didn't agree about the Bono ban, and I thought he was odd for liking Robin more than Slash. But saying that - I really liked lots about him - I had him on facebook - he loved Aerosmith like I do - he'd have vinyl nights and other music lover things. Seemed like a dude I would be friends with IRL if we lived closer. He helped me get some itunes songs I couldn't get. He was cool. Just he was one of those wacky robin lovers 16 As buzz said we all really have more in common than against.

* Anyway when the hidden Bono sent me a PM i found it really funny. Like here we all are in this childish brawl over him and the mothertrucker has been back for weeks under a fake name. We made some jokes at Russ' expense I think. It's hard to justify now but we were all wound up with the nastiness in all the drama threads over it. So i would have been all like 'fuck russ that robin lover this is all such dumb shit' type stuff. I regret it because as i say, while I thought the whole thing was foolery I don't really have anything against the guy, it was all just a huge WTF to me. But someone had pissed me off in the thread earlier so I'm sure I ran my mouth a bit like we do at times.

* Russ found out that Bono was back under a fake username.

* I gather someone gave Russ access to the PM messages.

* I think he considered me two-faced and so deleted me from facebook. I always felt bad about this. I disagreed with what I thought Russ was doing but I didn't have anything against him as a person. In the same way I'm good friends with Smoking Guns on facebook but we utterly disagree on politics. But I guess it didn't look like that when he found out Bono had PM'd me.

* I'm not sure what Russ found in other people's PMs. But I gather he felt betrayed or that there was a conspiracy against him or something. So he had his posts deleted and left.

* For my 2c it all happened innocently in the sense it just went out of control as drama. I accept I did the wrong thing a lot of the time looking back, but  I didn't mean to be scheming. I didn't care if I was made a mod or not but would have accepted it if I was because I posted like 100 times a day back then so it made sense. But i wasn't trying to make it happen. Likewise, I thought Russ was trying to be HTGTH but maybe I was totally wrong about it. I wasn't going to rat out Bono when he revealed he was secretly back - but at the same time it's not like i'd been involved in some high end scheme to get him back either. It just seemed like a dick move to rat him so I shut up. As I say - we only became friends after the fall out of all this!

* Later Buzz after talking to russ thought I was engaged in a conspiracy about it and so started breaking my balls over it - fair enough. Me being me I also didn't let it go and insisted on arguing my case and giving shit to Buzz whenever possible. This went on some weeks. Then I realised how much fun I used to have and how it wasn't fun anymore just being in fights...and so I left too. My GNR chat moved to facebook. Then SG talked me into coming back right around reunion time.

Anyway don't mean to stir up old trouble, I only explained as I still feel somewhat bad about my role in it.

Thank you for posting all this...it must have taken some time.

This board has a rich history of characters, I must say. I hope everyone buries the hatchet someday and comes back.

One could make an argument that you were trying to 'fight' for the soul of board. If this place turned into HTGTH, I probably wouldn't be here. On the other hand (and probably more realistic) it was just a way to entertain yourself/it can be fun to get caught up in high school drama and lose sight.

In any case, it's fun to reminisce. There was always something going on here.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Brett wrote:

I can't be the only one here stoned as fuck happy listening to Pigs on the Wing

sadly, I think you may have been... tongue

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The more people you let in, the dumber it gets. This is of course contrary to a healthy business model.

But MyGNR is basically unbearable to visit these days unless you visit off-topic. Same grandpas and grandmas circling like the old crows they are.

It had a brief period there where it was good, a couple insiders would come in. Then there became like 20 forums overnight. Too fractured.

This is the best one for sure.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I can assure you if the main culprits from the political thread got together in a bar and just chatted about anything other than politics, we'd get along fine.

-- Would this include Flagg & SLC? 16  Cause if so, I'm taking you up on that bet. Not only that, but I'd be willing to gather that one of them would walk into the bar with the 20 or 30 of us, and without even knowing who we all are those two would immediately battle it out. "You fuckin dickface are you really that stupid. Let me put this into words you can comprehend..."

Monkey thanks for posting that. I always liked Bono and remember his banning. That went on for weeks. I do remember he was back, and I believe outed at some point. I didn't know Russ' leaving was a direct result of that. I figured it was loosely related, but it seems there was alot of backend to it.

That's cool they all got along & made amends. In regards to forums, I noticed a few months ago IMDB removed their movie message boards, which kinda sucks. I didn't post there but occasionally I did like reading threads on certain films for feedback or insights.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I can assure you if the main culprits from the political thread got together in a bar and just chatted about anything other than politics, we'd get along fine.

-- Would this include Flagg & SLC? 16  Cause if so, I'm taking you up on that bet. Not only that, but I'd be willing to gather that one of them would walk into the bar with the 20 or 30 of us, and without even knowing who we all are those two would immediately battle it out. "You fuckin dickface are you really that stupid. Let me put this into words you can comprehend..."

Monkey thanks for posting that. I always liked Bono and remember his banning. That went on for weeks. I do remember he was back, and I believe outed at some point. I didn't know Russ' leaving was a direct result of that. I figured it was loosely related, but it seems there was alot of backend to it.

That's cool they all got along & made amends. In regards to forums, I noticed a few months ago IMDB removed their movie message boards, which kinda sucks. I didn't post there but occasionally I did like reading threads on certain films for feedback or insights.

Ok - in their case not knowing names might be better, but at the time in Vegas, people may have thought the same about Russ and bono, so who knows.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Oh crap...I forgot about Russ...why did he leave? Did it have anything to do with your reasons for not posting?

I'll give you my 2c on it for the sake of it, but I hope it's clear this is all old drama to me and I really don't care or hold any grudges anymore...looking back it's sad it happened and a fuss about nothing...but if you're interested to know why I bailed this is my version of it:

* It was that period where a lot of discussion devolved into Old vs New GNR arguments which got a bit nasty.

* Russ was working really hard daily to bring content to the forum.

* Bono got into disputes with a few posters, some people felt he was a troll and abusive while others felt he just had an aggressive language style but was otherwise ok.

* I and others became worried that some of the moderation at the time might be headed towards HTGTH style censorship. I was concerned that we should have freedom to be 'negative' if the need arose. I may have been wrong that it was happening. I dunno now. Either way my questioning the umpire/referee may have offended Russ.

* There was some catalyst event. Bono was rude to someone in a thread and banned, at the time I felt that there was provocation - like he was baited into a rude remark by something rude said to him first.  So I started championing his cause that it wasn't fair. Basically this led to a few weeks of disputes on the chat feed and people arguing for or against bono being banned.

* I gather Russ wanted mods to be in unanimous agreement about things, but as with most things in GNR land this often wasn't the case and so the infighting spread to the mods.

* I got some PM's supporting my stance. Some people speculated I should be made a mod.

* The whole place became highschool drama land with people in groups "for" or "against" bono's ban.

* Bono then rejoined the forum under a fake name and continued life. He sent a PM to me and a few of his supporters thanking them for the support.

* My honest opinion of Russ was that he was a cool guy but that we disagreed on pointless GNR stuff. Like on a simple level I didn't agree about the Bono ban, and I thought he was odd for liking Robin more than Slash. But saying that - I really liked lots about him - I had him on facebook - he loved Aerosmith like I do - he'd have vinyl nights and other music lover things. Seemed like a dude I would be friends with IRL if we lived closer. He helped me get some itunes songs I couldn't get. He was cool. Just he was one of those wacky robin lovers 16 As buzz said we all really have more in common than against.

* Anyway when the hidden Bono sent me a PM i found it really funny. Like here we all are in this childish brawl over him and the mothertrucker has been back for weeks under a fake name. We made some jokes at Russ' expense I think. It's hard to justify now but we were all wound up with the nastiness in all the drama threads over it. So i would have been all like 'fuck russ that robin lover this is all such dumb shit' type stuff. I regret it because as i say, while I thought the whole thing was foolery I don't really have anything against the guy, it was all just a huge WTF to me. But someone had pissed me off in the thread earlier so I'm sure I ran my mouth a bit like we do at times.

* Russ found out that Bono was back under a fake username.

* I gather someone gave Russ access to the PM messages.

* I think he considered me two-faced and so deleted me from facebook. I always felt bad about this. I disagreed with what I thought Russ was doing but I didn't have anything against him as a person. In the same way I'm good friends with Smoking Guns on facebook but we utterly disagree on politics. But I guess it didn't look like that when he found out Bono had PM'd me.

* I'm not sure what Russ found in other people's PMs. But I gather he felt betrayed or that there was a conspiracy against him or something. So he had his posts deleted and left.

* For my 2c it all happened innocently in the sense it just went out of control as drama. I accept I did the wrong thing a lot of the time looking back, but  I didn't mean to be scheming. I didn't care if I was made a mod or not but would have accepted it if I was because I posted like 100 times a day back then so it made sense. But i wasn't trying to make it happen. Likewise, I thought Russ was trying to be HTGTH but maybe I was totally wrong about it. I wasn't going to rat out Bono when he revealed he was secretly back - but at the same time it's not like i'd been involved in some high end scheme to get him back either. It just seemed like a dick move to rat him so I shut up. As I say - we only became friends after the fall out of all this!

* Later Buzz after talking to russ thought I was engaged in a conspiracy about it and so started breaking my balls over it - fair enough. Me being me I also didn't let it go and insisted on arguing my case and giving shit to Buzz whenever possible. This went on some weeks. Then I realised how much fun I used to have and how it wasn't fun anymore just being in fights...and so I left too. My GNR chat moved to facebook. Then SG talked me into coming back right around reunion time.

Anyway don't mean to stir up old trouble, I only explained as I still feel somewhat bad about my role in it.

That's way more than I remember, but seems pretty accurate to me.  Lots of mistakes were made by almost everyone involved.  It was what it was, but I'm glad for the most part we've been able to move on from it without too much damage beyond the initial loss of Russ and bono.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Yeah I'm really down about that too. I'm yet to find an alternative.

I never posted there either but I would look up occasional movies when I watched them and amongst all the bile (that they deleted it for) there was a wealth of knowledge.

People who knew hard to find information about specific scenes or actors or directors or whatever...and people who had previously asked the same questions about the film as I had.

Frustrating that it's gone...so my public knowledge just removed in seconds.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It was what it was, but I'm glad for the most part we've been able to move on from it without too much damage beyond the initial loss of Russ and bono.

Indeed. I strongly agree with what you were saying earlier, for all our issues, most of us have pretty similar tastes (maybe politics aside lol).

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Why did they leave ? if it`s not a secret ? I find all these forum dramas ridiculous.

If you want to leave just fuck off no need to make grand gestures.

Board footer