You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Lost Velvet Revolver Albums - Could they become GNR?

monkeychow wrote:

I've been revising Velvet Revolver of late and started thinking about this - it's not new info to most of us hardcores - but there's a lot of unused stuff it seems:

6 Instrumental Tracks from 2010

"As soon as we got off the road from the last tour and parted ways with Scott, we got together and wrote half a dozen really great, sort of heavy metal pieces of music," Slash told MTV News. "It's a lot heavier than what Velvet Revolver has put out, so I'm dying to put out the quintessential Velvet Revolver record." (Slash MTV news 2010)

These songs could have been expanded to:

10 Songs with Demo Vocals By Cory Tailor

“I think it was ten [songs that I recorded with Velvet Revolver]… I think it was… It’s either nine or ten. There was a handful that we wrote, and then there was a handful that I kind of rearranged a little bit based on music that they already had. So it wasn’t music that we kind of wrote together. I mean, there were, like, three… I think there was three songs that we wrote together, which were actually pretty sweet. And then the rest of it was me writing to music that they already had that I thought was pretty cool.” (Tailor Loudwire Video 2015)

Old Songs Rejected By Scott that Izzy and Slash Wrote

"When Duff and Matt and I first got together, we wrote a ton of material that never saw the light of day, and that was all very heavy," (Slash MTV news 2010)

"The first CD that Slash gave me had a lot of music that Izzy had written with them, and it was a lot more classic-based," Weiland remembers. "I wasn't as excited about that stuff, you know? But when I got the next batch of songs, it was like, 'Okay, there's a handful of songs in here that I definitely feel I can wrap my head around.' (Scott Guitarworld 2012)

I guess these may be untouchable given Matt is not in GNR, and of course Dave was never in GNR....but with this GNR reunion going on....it's sure interesting to think there's 10+ if not more songs with a GNR-alumni group work - I mean these are Slash/Duff/Izzy/Matt collaborations for the most part....

Then again we know Axl doesn't like getting finished instrumentals....but will they just leave so many almost GNR records out in the wind forever?

Or maybe if Axl goes to Ac/Dc next near Slash and Duff may have some free time to find a new singer and put out that quintessential VR record?

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

I've always liked the early VR stuff. Set Me Free was a blast. Contraband was an awesome, underrated record. but Libertad era was kind of meh. uninspired, dull. I don't really think they could have ever moved to a GNR territory, because in the time of Libertad, GNR were a totally different beast already.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I know I'm in the ultra minority, but I really wish they would have done more with the Spacehog lead singer than just that one gig.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

2002 they claimed to write the best guns album yet.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
zombux wrote:

I've always liked the early VR stuff. Set Me Free was a blast. Contraband was an awesome, underrated record. but Libertad era was kind of meh. uninspired, dull. I don't really think they could have ever moved to a GNR territory, because in the time of Libertad, GNR were a totally different beast already.

velvet revolver never managed to find their own identity. their sound was like a weirdly forced blend of scott with an uninspired guns. wicked garden by stone temple pilots came on the radio the other day and it blew me away. listening to that vs anything off libertad and you can tell how much scott was out of his element in vr.

occasionally, vr almost broke free into the stratosphere, with songs like come on, come in, fall to pieces, set me free, you got no right, she builds quick machines and sucker train blues. i jam all of those (and a few more) to this day, but i'd much rather just make a playlist of songs from afd, the illusions, core and purple.

as always, though, i'd be very interested in hearing any unreleased material.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I have a playlist of VR and STP that I enjoy together.

Slash was a bit too neutered in VR but they really rocked out live, and I miss the real band chemistry they have. Sorum/Slash/Matt just sound amazing together.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I really hope something comes of this one day though.

I mean that's an entire CD of songs written by Slash and Izzy rejected by scott for being "too much like GNR".

Then there's at least 10 'heavier' VR songs sitting somewhere as well waiting for a vocalist.

That's a lot of material that could be worked up into GnR (unless that's too rude to Matt/Dave) or perhaps even revisited by Slash/Duff if Axl decides to spend the next few years with Ac/Dc.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I wonder if any of the stuff Corey did with them filtered out into the new Stone Sour album? That album is heavy rock n roll I could imagine Slash, Matt & Duff playing.
The lead single Fabuless reminds me of a heavier She Builds Quick Machines.

As for lost VR material, I loved Contraband, and hated Libertad, but I'd love to hear any leftover stuff, especially if it's in a heavier vein

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, VR was a trip. From organizing it, all the rumors, then Scott gets locked in. Alot of us had mixed feeling at first. Contraband is solid & as Zombux said 'underrated', or at least 'underappreciated'. Non Guns fans just wanted him back in STP, or didn't care for him at all. Then Libertad was setup to be a home run, Brendan OBrien of numerous great albums producing it. Then it comes out, wtf is Slash playing a wazoo? It's terrible.   It has some moments but it fell apart in so many angles its hard to see the goodness of it.

A compilation or re-edit of these songs could work, since they'd need a new singer. I guess we'll have to await the future of Guns. I doubt any full songs make it to any Guns record, except for just riffs or intros.  Wasn't the FTP intro supposedly a UYI holdover?

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, I remember the time The Project started, back then it was rumored to be called Cherry Roses (because members of Buckcherry were involved or rumored to be involved)

Board footer