You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

dave-gnfnr wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Personally I thought his guitar chops improved between 2002-2006 as well...but maybe I was just a little more used to his interpretations of the songs.

Matt was right when he thought Robin would make a good rhythm player.

He as ok on the 3 new songs they played, but he just didn't have the skills to be the lead guitarist in a guitar heavy band like GNR on the old material, and replacing an inspirational guitar-hero to many players like Slash.

If they'd replaced Slash with someone more like Doug Aldrich with the chops, stuck to 2 guitars, and maybe toned down pitman's synth so that you could still hear the guitars a little, then I think the new band would have gone over a lot better.

Finck was always better suited for the industiral stuff, that is why he is so great in NIN.   If Axl went with his real vision and played less and less and less CD Finck would have shined but Axl kept playing more and more classic GNR stuff and that is the problem.

What Axl should have done, is had BH as the lead, Fortus as the co head and Finck as rythmn.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Using the 2001 line up I would have gone with:

Old GNR songs: All leads by Buckethead, Robin on Rhythm. No pitman on these.
New GNR songs: Robin and Bucket can alternate leads as per the album. Pitman ok on this stuff.

The weird bit is Axl made this new industrial band then only used it to play the old songs weirdly. Listen to what pitman does on YCBM in 2001 at rio - it destroys the whole song.

It would have made more sense to either move forward for real industrially, or if going to play classic GNR as a new line up - hire people who play blues guitar and are also guitar masters like Slash....eg Doug Aldrich like i was saying. It's just so wierd the way it went down.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Using the 2001 line up I would have gone with:

Old GNR songs: All leads by Buckethead, Robin on Rhythm. No pitman on these.
New GNR songs: Robin and Bucket can alternate leads as per the album. Pitman ok on this stuff.

The weird bit is Axl made this new industrial band then only used it to play the old songs weirdly. Listen to what pitman does on YCBM in 2001 at rio - it destroys the whole song.

It would have made more sense to either move forward for real industrially, or if going to play classic GNR as a new line up - hire people who play blues guitar and are also guitar masters like Slash....eg Doug Aldrich like i was saying. It's just so wierd the way it went down.

They were thinking about Chris Shiflett but he turned down the audition to audition with foo fighters and got that gig.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

That's interesting...I never got into Foo Fighters so can't really comment...although it's not really a big guitar solo band is it.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Look at us. A bunch of regular Silk Spectres in this thread.

I think Pitman improved the songs quite a bit in 2002. I love that sound especially on Rocket Queen and the like. They're a hard rock band with electro-funk undertones. Good stuff. Not industrial in the least.

The 1999 Sunday AM rock band was perfectly good. Needed to release that album and move on, then shape shift again. It's a lack of musical direction and too many musical directions. Instead of solving the UYI problems, Axl amplified them.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

This is what I was talking about with Pitman....

Have a listen to that stuff he plays over the intro...it drowns out the entire guitars...it just doesn't work to my taste...would be cool as its own thing in a different song...

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I'm totally cool with it.

I want to see something new, not the album version or 1990s. I'm in the minority here for sure.

God damn that band was good.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I'm totally cool with it.

I want to see something new, not the album version or 1990s. I'm in the minority here for sure.

God damn that band was good.

We're in the same minority.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

For me if i want to see something new then play something new, if you're going to play YCBM then play it how it goes. hahahah.

I thought the 2001 band came alive on the (then) new songs - would have liked them to play more of the album in that era.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I can see your point, as much as I like the 2002 band, sometimes Robin's playing is just not good and it gets to me.

But if you have a sports car in the garage, you don't drive the speed limit or use it to get groceries.

It's one reason why I think the NITL tour is boring. It's the UYI tour show. Old hat. You have a relatively blues oriented band. Slow some shit down, rework it. Not Slash wanking off on solos or tuning guitars like they're a grunge band.

Board footer