You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: GNR at The Forum on Sirius XM. Tonight! 10:30ET, 7:30PT!

Ragnar wrote:

At this point, Axl should retire as a live singer and become a studio musician.

Or he should write and record songs that fit his lower register.

Axl and writing songs yeah, I know sounds like an oxymoron.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Some aspects of his voice I think are gone now.

Like he hasn't done the Twat screams with the original (insanely high) melody since 2009 now.

On the other hand - only last year in 2016 - he was using impressive rasp and powerful upper notes - on "Hell's Bells" and "Shoot to Thril" from Ac/Dc amongst others.

So i'm hopeful that it means perhaps his voice is burnt out from the tour and a break will help.

This recent show was better than most of 2017 - you could see he tried more here - but yeah - there's a clear quality difference between this and 2016 - so lets hope it's just fatigue and not damage.

With any luck he can come back in 2016 shape next year.

OR of course there's god knows what awesome old vocals around in the studio too (need i mention the TIL remix).

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

In 2006 they played Rock Am Ring right? Axl sounds phenomenal at that gig. He outsings the studio versions in some songs, and that went up and down through to 2010, where he still had some amazing live moments. Fast forward to 2011, the yellow raincoat incident, and he’s been downhill ever since.

The only time he’s shown any real power is the recent stint with AC/DC.

He was trying at this show though. I’ll give him that.

But wtf is with him going out of time on his on fuckin songs? He fucks up Sorry and This I Love by coming in too early, and you can hear the band scrambling to try and sort it out so it doesn’t sound like a complete clusterfuck.... LOL

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, 2006 was phenomenal.
this post of yours gave me an idea, they could release a cover album called Yellow Raincoat Incident?, which would contain all covers they played during the Ashba era and the current retro tour.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's possible he was sick but I don't think so.

I think it's the combination of major depression, existential ennui, hyper sensitivity and isolation.

His vocal performance improved considerably in 2006 which was after the rumored surgery, him touring regularly, and working with Baz's vocal coach for a hot second during the Hammerstein shows.

Is it a surprise the best vocal takes on the album are the most recently recorded and furthest from the peak of his depression/issues?

This said, I think he's been spotty since the dawn of the New Guns era. The tracks are copy pasta for a reason.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

I don't think its him not caring but him using a different style because: He is 55 and got his signature voice by using a damaging technique combined with the drugs, what is left is pretty tired. Point is to get that powerful rasp it takes a lot of breath and compression. Its basically a controlled scream. Maybe hes at risk for an aneurysm, so screaming for 3 hours might be risky? The soundboard from the L.A. show you can hear how he still has rasp but uses a safer and easier technique, which kinda gets buried in the mix. As far as vocal surgeries, i'd bet hes had plenty done.

With AC/DC its mostly all mid range stuff that doesn't require the same effort or range, and he probably does care more about his performance with AC/DC then with Guns. This is all speculation obviously but I don't think its to far out there to believe. And either way I seen them a month ago and still thought it was a helluva show. In a studio setting he could definitely still do some amazing stuff, no doubt about that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think there's been a change in 2017 though.

Like in 2006 he was doing demanding screaming.

Then in 2012 he was obviously protecting his voice by singing more cleanly.

In 2016 he used a bit of a mix. Like some parts he would do the clean thing, while other moments he would do the rasp.

Then in Ac/Dc with 1 or 2 songs aside it was pure rasp.

For the first half of 2017 he mostly went back to the 2012 model of general clean just with really occasional rasp.

All that led me to believe he can turn it on at will and was simply minimising it because it's so extreme on his voice.

However what I've found curious is that in recent shows there are moments where he was clearly gone for the rasp scream and has kinda faltered - like his voice has cracked or otherwise kinda struggled.

This worries me. I'm assuming it's overuse - that he blew it out a bit with Ac/Dc and needs some time off.

But I hope that it does come back and it's not permanent damage.

TL/DR : I think there's something more going on that the 2012 style safe singing now. In 2016 he seemed to be able to do both. But here in 2017 it's clearly harder to scream than it was last year.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

anyone got a link to mpfree of the broadcast.. don't feel like downloading the flac

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
deadsouth wrote:

anyone got a link to mpfree of the broadcast.. don't feel like downloading the flac

LocoComa
 Rep: 4 

LocoComa wrote:

Y'know, I know everybody mentions Axl always seeming to be out of breath being due to him not being in shape, but has anyone considered that his lungs are simply damaged from smoking?

I know he supposedly quit cigarettes years ago (although I remember some rumors about him picking it up again in 2010), but he's also supposedly an extremely heavy weed smoker still, and while not as damaging as tobacco, any type of smoke surely isn't going to help your lungs.

I mean, he's been running around stages for 2.5+ hours every couple nights for nearly two years, his cardio obviously isn't that bad.

Board footer