You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:

So it finally happened today....it hit home just a little bit. My step-daughter (8 years old) did something minor at school that got all blown out of proportion.

They were forced to keep the kids inside today for recess because of the weather. To pass the time, she wrote a song....she's a pretty creative kid. She used the word 'murder' in the lyric and wrote them down. Probably influenced by Miley Cyrus or some shit...

Welp...the cavalry have been called in...they want to suspend her....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

So it finally happened today....it hit home just a little bit. My step-daughter (8 years old) did something minor at school that got all blown out of proportion.

They were forced to keep the kids inside today for recess because of the weather. To pass the time, she wrote a song....she's a pretty creative kid. She used the word 'murder' in the lyric and wrote them down. Probably influenced by Miley Cyrus or some shit...

Hopefully common sense prevails.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

That’s dumb. Good luck.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Snow flake fucks.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Sadly I'm not surprised. Hopefully rational minds will come through.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Ok their tone softened today and they’re satisfied with how we asparebts handled it.

Apparently this 8 year old is/was completely unaware of any school shootings and didn’t have any idea about all the violence happening in schools.

I made a difficult decision and showed some clips of what happened last week. None of the direct footage but just a generic news report.

I was reluctant to do that because you only have that innocence for so long as a kid. She was pretty shocked at the fact that it could happen. It helped her understand why people are so sensitive about it.

I just didn’t want her to get in trouble again. She just needed to understand that the school will not tolerate this behavior no matter if she has no intention of murdering anyone...that part was harder for her to understand.

Mostly she was just deeply hurt that she was being treated this way.

Anyway...i hope we handled it the right way...if there is a right way.

For now no suspension is in the works, just a firm warning.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Ok their tone softened today and they’re satisfied with how we asparebts handled it.

Apparently this 8 year old is/was completely unaware of any school shootings and didn’t have any idea about all the violence happening in schools.

I made a difficult decision and showed some clips of what happened last week. None of the direct footage but just a generic news report.

I was reluctant to do that because you only have that innocence for so long as a kid. She was pretty shocked at the fact that it could happen. It helped her understand why people are so sensitive about it.

I just didn’t want her to get in trouble again. She just needed to understand that the school will not tolerate this behavior no matter if she has no intention of murdering anyone...that part was harder for her to understand.

Sorry Mitch. Kind of surprised kids were not talking about it at school.

I remember being 8. Things I loved at 8, Poison, Def Leopard, GNR, Auburn Football, Michael Jordan, Dan Marino.. Hahaha

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I remember being 8. Things I loved at 8, Poison, Def Leopard, GNR, Auburn Football, Michael Jordan, Dan Marino.. Hahaha

Thanks to all of you for listening...i know this isn’t exactly a political topic...but i feel its kinda relevant to the discussion we’ve been having about guns.

It was sobering.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Thanks to all of you for listening...i know this isn’t exactly a political topic...but i feel its kinda relevant to the discussion we’ve been having about guns.

It was sobering.

Sobering how? I’m genuinely interested in your take. Sobering as in the realization how irrational people can be on the topic (threatening to suspend your 8 year old for using a word in the Ten Commandments) or sobering that you agree with your daughter’s teachers that a fellow 2nd grader could enact the carnage witnessed last week in Florida and such vigilance is warranted?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

A good outcome.

Board footer