You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PublicEnemy
 Rep: 1 

Re: The General (Rumors & Discussion)

PublicEnemy wrote:

This song has been talked about over the years now and no one has really given a description of it besides a few quotes here and there.

A lot of people say their is a 2 minute clip of this song out their, does anybody know what this clip sounds like?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It sounds like a few people making shit up.

The only clip of The General out in the open that's legit is the orchestrations used in the intro of some shows.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

You're gonna get flamed for that title, son.

misterID wrote:

It sounds like a few people making shit up.

The only clip of The General out in the open that's legit is the orchestrations used in the intro of some shows.

I trust Kaneda not to bullshit.

It's supposedly a cell phone recording.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

you bastards, for a second my heart almost stopped beating, LOL!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I renamed the thread so people dont get the wrong idea...lol

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

It’s real guys, I’ve heard it. I think we’re on for a real treat from what I’ve listened to. Real shame it wasn’t on Chinese, beats 50% of what was on the album

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

really curious to how the concert intro piece we've heard fits into the actual song. some great work from beltrami there. really weird that he did (expensive) orchestration on this, thyme and seven... and we've never heard anything and maybe never will.

we know the general was consider an a-lister. we also know the general is a brain song. where's there's brain, there's bucket. there's a safe bet that it had a hell of a solo from bucket on there, too.

the quotes from baz are very interesting. i wonder if the first melody in the concert intro is actually part of the general's main riff? it fits the description.

"One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

"[Bach] says Rose told him that a slow, grinding track called 'The General' is 'the sequel to [Use Your Illusion II's] 'Estranged,' that goes to the parable that Del James wrote of the trilogy' (James penned the short story that inspired the 'November Rain' video)." (Rolling Stone, 06/25/08)

brain was on the appetite for distortion podcast recently, but i don't think they asked him anything about this.

someone should get him to play the drum parts from the general. that'd be dope to hear.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Sucks when this thread bumps.

PublicEnemy
 Rep: 1 

PublicEnemy wrote:
gavgnr wrote:

It’s real guys, I’ve heard it. I think we’re on for a real treat from what I’ve listened to. Real shame it wasn’t on Chinese, beats 50% of what was on the album

You should share the clip or tell us what it sounds like

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

we know the general was consider an a-lister. we also know the general is a brain song. where's there's brain, there's bucket. there's a safe bet that it had a hell of a solo from bucket on there, too.

The interesting thing to me is the time it's from. It's likely to be an elusive effort by the 2001-2002 band.

Sorry and Shackler's are strong efforts. Axl and the fans were certainly taken with the latter. They benefit from Bucket's melodic songwriting and are far less patchwork more whole cloth.

I can easily see a record with Shacklers, Sorry, The General, and probably the others. They have that tonal consistency.

Board footer