You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

zombux wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Garbage is still garbage though.  Even with Slash it's unlistenable.  I saw 5 live shows and went to the bathroom every single time TIL came on.  The songs outside of TWAT,  Better, and CD minus the hour long intro just aren't good.

kind of similar situation to UYI tour. a hour of drum solo, guitar solo, drum and guitar solo, 2 hours combined with NR, Estranged and KOHD. bloated to the extreme. and it was a time when Axl still had his mighty voice and Slash knew to play guitar.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Garbage is still garbage though.  Even with Slash it's unlistenable.  I saw 5 live shows and went to the bathroom every single time TIL came on.  The songs outside of TWAT,  Better, and CD minus the hour long intro just aren't good.

Agreed, although for me personally I'd add IRS to those three.

The others are good Axl Rose songs but, when compared to the gnr back catolgue, they're not in the same league.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

IRS was great at Rock am Ring 2006. Bumble absolutely nailed it and Axl struggled a bit in the beginning but later was absolutely on fire. I love that version!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't really understand why people think This I Love is garbage but enjoy Breakdown, NR, or Estranged.

They're all piano ballads with emotional guitar.

This I Love is a beautiful song.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
zombux wrote:

IRS was great at Rock am Ring 2006. Bumble absolutely nailed it and Axl struggled a bit in the beginning but later was absolutely on fire. I love that version!

That is definitley the best live version of IRS ever, with Osaka Japan coming in second. It can be documented that I'm a huge fan of everything about that song especially the 99 version. My wet dream would be for Slash and Duff  to add a little flavor to a live version of it, kind of like they did with better.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't really understand why people think This I Love is garbage but enjoy Breakdown, NR, or Estranged.

I like "This I Love" but I totally get why people hate it.

November Rain, et. al. are all melodic, layered, dynamic, and despite their length feel light and effortless.

This I Love is fairly plodding, emotionally one-note, and very heavy to listen to.

I'm going to continue with November Rain as my case study because I think it's Axl's best work and Guns overall best work bar Civil War. That song starts with a sustained bass note, then flips to a high pitch treble note and the change in dynamics doesn't stop there. You have background synth, overlaid background vocals, main piano, drums. It's a fucking epic. You have delicious lyrical irony "If you want to love me, darlin' don't refrain" before the fucking refrain! JESUS! I LOVE THIS GUYYYYY HOLYYY SHIIIIIIIIT. You have a couple of bridges with little guitar elements (fuck yeah, I'm not no pussy listening to girl music horns upppppp) and then that badass searing guitar solo by Slash. The outro is like the Rocket Queen outro on steroids, it becomes this completely other song but unlike Rocket, it actually comes back to the core thesis of the song. It's a flawless piece of music.

The other epics are similar. It's almost musical poetry. It takes it's time, let's Axl pour out his feelings, keeps things interesting, and the song is never weighed down by pointless bullshit. It's a musical wave and each one crashes around you and over you and you just have to ride the wave maaaaaan.

I think This I Love is beautiful, especially instrumentally. But Axl's lyrics and vocal style try to fit too much into the bars. And much like the Chinese Democracy material, it's stiff. The flute at 1:45 and strings at 2:20-2:30 needed to shine in those moments but instead Axl is crying over them. It's similar to my position on what Bumblefoot did to Catcher in the Rye's synth interlude. Just leave it be. Not every song needs a stadium sized guitar solo. For someone who likes Queen so much, he should've known better.

But I know better. He knows I know he knows I know better.

zombux wrote:

harmon420 wrote:
zombux wrote:

That is definitley the best live version of IRS ever, with Osaka Japan coming in second.

Yep. Because the guitar is allowed a say.

I pointed out before how prominent Tommy's bass is in the RAR mix. It's great. Gives the song a space to breathe.

Chinese's rhythm sections are half Axl trying to put a hook in where there isn't one and half him stepping over his guitarists.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I like "This I Love" but I totally get why people hate it.

November Rain, et. al. are all melodic, layered, dynamic, and despite their length feel light and effortless.

This I Love is fairly plodding, emotionally one-note, and very heavy to listen to.

I'm going to continue with November Rain as my case study because I think it's Axl's best work and Guns overall best work bar Civil War. That song starts with a sustained bass note, then flips to a high pitch treble note and the change in dynamics doesn't stop there. You have background synth, overlaid background vocals, main piano, drums. It's a fucking epic. You have delicious lyrical irony "If you want to love me, darlin' don't refrain" before the fucking refrain! JESUS! I LOVE THIS GUYYYYY HOLYYY SHIIIIIIIIT. You have a couple of bridges with little guitar elements (fuck yeah, I'm not no pussy listening to girl music horns upppppp) and then that badass searing guitar solo by Slash. The outro is like the Rocket Queen outro on steroids, it becomes this completely other song but unlike Rocket, it actually comes back to the core thesis of the song. It's a flawless piece of music.

The other epics are similar. It's almost musical poetry. It takes it's time, let's Axl pour out his feelings, keeps things interesting, and the song is never weighed down by pointless bullshit. It's a musical wave and each one crashes around you and over you and you just have to ride the wave maaaaaan.

I think This I Love is beautiful, especially instrumentally. But Axl's lyrics and vocal style try to fit too much into the bars. And much like the Chinese Democracy material, it's stiff. The flute at 1:45 and strings at 2:20-2:30 needed to shine in those moments but instead Axl is crying over them. It's similar to my position on what Bumblefoot did to Catcher in the Rye's synth interlude. Just leave it be. Not every song needs a stadium sized guitar solo. For someone who likes Queen so much, he should've known better.

But I know better. He knows I know he knows I know better.

zombux wrote:

harmon420 wrote:
zombux wrote:

That is definitley the best live version of IRS ever, with Osaka Japan coming in second.

Yep. Because the guitar is allowed a say.

I pointed out before how prominent Tommy's bass is in the RAR mix. It's great. Gives the song a space to breathe.

Chinese's rhythm sections are half Axl trying to put a hook in where there isn't one and half him stepping over his guitarists.

God Damn, the above post DELIVERS!!!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

When I first heard TIL, I wondered, did he actually sing,

And now it seems that I / gave up my goose to fry

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Personally I think TIL has a beautiful melody. I'd have loved to hear a slash version in the studio.

johndivney wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck the Chinese era. It is fucking shit. You guys act like it is Led Zeppelin IV or some shit. It is a shit album. Move on.

CD is a great album.
Bar Catcher. It is shit.
Better/The Blues/If the World/Twat is proof enough. There was method in his madness. Catcher was shite tho.

Board footer