You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Slash & Conspirators NEW album Living the Dream

Smoking Guns wrote:

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Was finally able to listen as it's available now everywhere.

Very standard as metallex said and that call back to Standing in The Sun is dumb as fuck. Don't know exactly why just got some major douche chills hearing it.

Riff is intersting but goes nowhere. I can see how Myles likens it to a classic Aerosmith riff. Overall, bleh. And this is coming from a big fan of SMKC. Hopefully this is reminiscent of how one of the first live songs they played on the WoF tour was Stone Blind which was ultimately probably a bottom 3 song on the album.

Have to wonder if this is a real single or a just a teaser song until the proper single comes out??

What are your thoughts on the song, SG? You're a big SMKC guy.

Observations: nice intro riff by slash.

Song is pretty upbeat.

The song is not great but definitely not bad. It is a nice song.

Myles sounds good here. He doesn’t get too high where he sounds screechy. Sounds like a good range for him.

I expect better on the album but this song on its own is a decent track.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

This has probably already been discussed, but the artwork is absolutely ghastly. Looks like it was designed by a 12-year-old girl.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

This has probably already been discussed, but the artwork is absolutely ghastly. Looks like it was designed by a 12-year-old girl.

Yes it is bad.

Don’t see slash doing tooo much effort or spending tooo much money. He is just going to rake it in on the tour. They recorded in his own studio. I guess that means not to tape like he has been?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Given how much I love Slash and the rest of his solo efforts I want to like this, but I have to say it sounds like a B side.

The riff seems heavily reminiscent of Withered Delilah from World on Fire.

The bridge is an actual reprise of Standing in the Sun from Apocalyptic Love for no apparent reason.

The solo and other guitar work is ok for what it is - but not even close to the kind of magic Slash can do.

Overall this reminds me of a sequel to a movie thats already had a lot of sequels, it's ok for what it is - doesn't really do anything wrong - but it's not really adding anything to the catalogue and most of its good ideas have been done better in the previous work.

I find it a bit worrying, as if this is the masterpiece of the album than maybe Slash is out of ideas, but then again - he's often picked singles that I thought were among the blander of the album while the rest turns out to be killer, so although this song did nothing for me, i'm going to hope that deep in the album there's another Anastasia or a Wicked Stone or a Dime Store Rock just waiting to wow me.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

On one hand it's unremarkable but on the other hand, who else is creating songs like this in 2018? It sounds like a throwback to 1988, when Aerosmith, Def Lep, and GNR were all dominating rock radio. Yes, we've heard it before, but we're not hearing much like it right now, if that makes sense.

It'll probably be a lot more fun when it's played live.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I cranked the song through my car stereo. It is a decent track.  NOT SINGLE WORTHY, but the song okay. Why they worked in Standing in the Sun is a mind fuck.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

THE  chorus is growing on me. Kind of catchy!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I find it a bit worrying, as if this is the masterpiece of the album than maybe Slash is out of ideas, but then again - he's often picked singles that I thought were among the blander of the album while the rest turns out to be killer, so although this song did nothing for me, i'm going to hope that deep in the album there's another Anastasia or a Wicked Stone or a Dime Store Rock just waiting to wow me.

I wouldn't fret too much – as you say, it's usually one of the deep cuts on Slash's solo albums that turns out to be the standout track.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Monkey brings up Withered Delilah, THAT RIFF is so badass. Also that song is better than Driving Rain.

Board footer