You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

AtariLegend wrote:

This is coming out in a few days:

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

i’m ready ...

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

I'm looking forward to it.  The first trailer that was released at Star Wars celebration which ended with Palpatine laughing got me really interested.  I didn't hate The Last Jedi like a lot of people seem to, but I was disappointed.  One of the criticisms was Rian Johnson left JJ Abrams with nowhere to go, but I disagree with that.  Even though I think it sucks that they killed both Snoke and Luke, they ended with Kylo Ren being the new leader of The First Order and people being inspired to fight against them.  We also see there are more people out there with force abilities besides Rey and Kylo.  There are a lot of possibilities. 

The Force Awakens was a lot like A New Hope and The Last Jedi was a lot like The Empire Strikes Back, so if the trend continues then Rise Of Skywalker will be a lot like Return Of The Jedi.  I'm fine with there being some similarities, but these can't just keep being retreads.  Personally I think they need to drop the trilogy format after this.  Keeping numbering them as episodes, but don't make it so every third movie needs to cram as much as possible in it to wrap the story up.  They also need to plan these out ahead of time because I do find it hard to believe The Last Jedi was exactly where JJ Abrams wanted to go after The Force Awakens.  How much of Rise Of Skywalker will be JJ Abrams retconning certain things from the last movie so he can get the story back to where he wanted it?  We'll see in a few days.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree the next batch shouldn't be a trilogy. They should just do offshoots for a while, like Star Treks original random movies loosely tied together, or like Marvel movies about characters similar to The Mandolorian (a stormtrooper, a pilot, a droid, a poor folk on a random planet etc). Like Mandalorian, just follow a character. Myb a sequel if its huge, but unintended.

And after TLJ failed to deliver I wish they split up ROS into 2 movies, it really needs an epic buildup & TLJ wasn't it. Release them a year apart.

AtariLegend wrote:

Just seen it.

Meh. Not really that good. At least with The Last Jedi, I had critisms of certain plot points and sequences. With this I just didn't think there was much there.

Lots of quick scenes with set pieces thrown in. Not really paced like a Star Wars film. As for the plot, they just recyle as much as they can from previous films. It feels like they had no clue where they'd go after Force Awakens. 

Just flat. However certain parts of it felt a little Season 8 Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones at least had spectacle, even if lots of it made no sense. This doesn't really have much to look at. I was actually checking my phone clock during the final act, because it was just going through the motions.

Hidden Text:

The Rey parentage reveal was just lazy. I doubt they even thought about using the Emperor again during Episode 7.

Also speaking of season 8 Game of Thrones, why does everyone have plot armour? No sense of threat from start to end.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Heard this a lot. I have a friend who does post work and knows JJs people who helped him on this, and JJ never intended to come back. He never had a full grasp of the Star Wars vibe and story and that was why he brought Kasdan in to work on TFA (He wasn't available for TRS). There was an insane amount of stress writing this script because they literally had no idea where to go with it and no time to do it. JJ basically just put together a bunch of threads for his mystery boxes and wanted to let the other filmmakers take it from there. He never had an idea on how to really end it, just a bunch of cool ideas.

No one will ever really know how much damage Johnson did, and a few people think his meta bullshit take was deliberately a shot at Star Wars fans. I don't know I buy that, but he definitely decided to rip apart what Star Wars was for his own philosophical wankery. The reason TLJ received such glowing reviews wasn't just because of politics, Rian has several VERY close friendships (both online and offline) with many of those reviewers and publications, but that's a whole other thing. The real culprit here: Kathleen Kennedy.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

The Force Awakens, was a fine enough reintroduction that setup a lot of interesting plot points to develop and expand on. It played it safe, but ultimately did the job and was an enjoyable enough film - plus the swerve of killing off Solo was brave, even if the film telegraphed it was going to happen well before it did.

The Last Jedi, I don't hate this as much as a lot of people. They tried to do a lot of interesting things in this one (e.g. exploring the theme of whether the Jedi & Sith have been good for the galaxy or not, or whether they both need to end) and some attempts at character development were interesting but... executed poorly and without enough explanation (Luke being disillusioned and becoming the kind of person who could get realy close to killing his nephew is interesting but poorly developed). It's biggest issue is it's film two in a trilogy of three, and film eight in a saga of nine, yet does very little to advance much of anything that was setup in TFA and in some instances just disregards and scraps ideas completely (quickly killing off Snoke, dispatching with Phasma without really building her up enough for this to be meaningful, no mention at all of things like the Knights of Ren that were alluded to in TFA).

Rise of Skywalker is then left with 2 hours and 20 minutes to wrap up a lot of ideas and JJ Abram's mystery boxes that were initially setup with the idea they would have two films to be delivered in.  They basically had two options:

1) continue down the line that TLJ was leading us down OR
2) try to resolve everything from TFA (some of which like Rey's parentage didn't actually need explaining - her being no one was fine... but if she was going to be someone you sure as hell better develop that a bit in the second film).

Both options were gonna leave a bitter taste in the mouth and they went for option 2, probably the worse one because it results in the worse film. This whole trilogy feels like a total botch because they had no overarching plan from the start and followed up their first good film, with two films that each ignore a lot of went down in their predecessor.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

A kick in the balls for me was that JJ wanted Matt Reeves to follow him, but Kennedy, queen shit, apparently knew better and said no.

*Rian shit canned every idea Lawrence and JJ laid out for him, especially Luke.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I enjoyed it, and I thought TLJ was the biggest piece of shit ever.  My only real complaint is that they went overboard with force abilities, making Yoda look like a Padawan.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

A kick in the balls for me was that JJ wanted Matt Reeves to follow him, but Kennedy, queen shit, apparently knew better and said no.

*Rian shit canned every idea Lawrence and JJ laid out for him, especially Luke.

The damage Johnson did can't be undone.  He did irreparable damage to the franchise as evidence by the bombing of Solo and dropoff in toy sales.  I liked the ROTS, but it can't repair that hole.

Board footer