You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Covid 19

AtariLegend wrote:

So errr... this has been going on for over a month now. I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread.

Spun out off control pretty fast. 16 million people locked down in Northern Italy.

I'm probably going to be okay if I get this, but I am very worried about some older relatives getting this. I have a relative in England who's almost 80 and just about made it through the last decade. She especially is on my mind currently.

It's spreading fast. Oh ....and please try to keep politics out off this thread, unless it relates to actions taken.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

It's scary. I too am worried about relatives, including my mum, she's in the age range where it can turn really bad and she's had some problems a few years ago.

A few weeks ago they said it would get better as springtime is nearing but I think it is not going to happen. Surely if higher temperatures could kill the virus, Italy wouldn't be as badly affected as it is now.

Oh and not sure I understand why Aussies are rushing to buy tons of toilet paper and are getting into fights over it? 16

AtariLegend wrote:
Yamcha wrote:

A few weeks ago they said it would get better as springtime is nearing but I think it is not going to happen. Surely if higher temperatures could kill the virus, Italy wouldn't be as badly affected as it is now.

Yeah, this is a good point. Parts of Italy affected have almost double the forcast temp. of here in the uk.

Maybe it'll be different in July, but what happens in winter when this has had more of an opportunity to spread around to different parts of the country.

Going to be a messy year.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

I sure hope I won't find myself in a situation where I have to stay home for weeks.

I was reading someone's comments on Facebook: they think everyone is overreacting, that's it's just media fear and that there's something we are not told. Thoughts?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Unless you’re elderly or have a weak immune system, yes, it’s hysteria. 18k people have died in the US this flu season. Most don’t get their flu shot and don’t alter their behavior. It’s going to suck if you get it, but unless you’re in those specific demographics, it won’t be any worse than the flu. Wash your hands and don’t go out in public if you’re sneezing and coughing. I assume you’re European, so you have no reason to be going to work if you’re sick.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Unless you’re elderly or have a weak immune system, yes, it’s hysteria. 18k people have died in the US this flu season. Most don’t get their flu shot and don’t alter their behavior. It’s going to suck if you get it, but unless you’re in those specific demographics, it won’t be any worse than the flu. Wash your hands and don’t go out in public if you’re sneezing and coughing. I assume you’re European, so you have no reason to be going to work if you’re sick.

Correct assumption.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

The problem with blaming the media all the time is that no matter what people are critical and dismissive.

People are saying now media is over blowing this but as with anything...when it crosses the line into being more serious they’ll blame the media for not doing enough.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I'm not worried so much about myself, my worry is I could potentially spread it to my elderly relatives.

Comparing it with the flu isn't right - it's not the real issue, although it has a greater chance of causing complications than the flu does and appears to be more infectious. The real issue is the strain it puts on health services (number of beds, number of ventilator machines etc.) and the spike in those needing hospital care that is outside the norm of what all organisations would typically forecast.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Yamcha wrote:

Yeah, this is a good point. Parts of Italy affected have almost double the forcast temp. of here in the uk.

Maybe it'll be different in July, but what happens in winter when this has had more of an opportunity to spread around to different parts of the country.

Going to be a messy year.

That's the thing when Trump says stupid shit like warm weather will stop it. OK, yeah, maybe where it's warm. But the other half of the world has winter too. And right now it's all across the world, there will be no stopping it no matter the weather.

That said, most people who get it will be OK. I'm not worried. I haven't actually been sick since sometime mid-2018. I'm vegetarian, almost vegan, so my immune system is pretty stout.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If you're scared of getting elderly relatives sick you're just gonna have to stay away from them. If you live with them, stay in your room and retrace your steps or whatever you touched with Clorox wipes. Don't go to restaurants or movie theaters, etc. And if you get fastfood, eat it at home after washing your hands.

I don't get sick very often, I'm a germaphobe, but the worst cold/flu I ever caught was when I was walking to the movie theater in the mall when I noticed this teenage girl walking towards me, and as we passed, she coughed right into my face without covering her mouth. And you could tell it was a sick cough too. That was a nasty illness, whatever the fuck she gave me.

This happened over ten years ago and I still wish I could go back in time and punch her in the face.

Board footer