You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Covid 19

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Quite frankly i don’t trust anyone else’s opinions about what’s happening.

Accusing people who are being cautious as giving into fear mongering isn’t necessary. Hoarding TP actually amuses me some.

Not the Least of all, I don’t trust my government right now.

This isn't cautious mitch, it's full blown panic.  There's been nothing cautious about any of this.  It's been knee-jerk reaction after knee-jerk reaction.  Caution isn't letting emotion make decisions.  Caution isn't creating fear and panic in response to something you don't understand. 

Caution is protecting those most at risk.  Why aren't nursing homes and hospitals on lockdown in regards to visitors?  Those are the people at risk.  Has anyone not elderly or with a severe health issue died or had serious complications?  To most of the population, this is a severe upper-respiratory thing that will go away.  Caution is taking a consistent approach rather than one that's all over the place.  Can't go on a cruise, but my brother that just got off of a cruise can fly home?  There's absolutely zero logic to any of this.

When fear and panic control your decision making, it's not going to end well.  It's not caution to shut the world down when so few are at risk from something.  It's irresponsible.  Far, far, FAR more people are being hurt by the response to this than the virus itself and that is an absolute fact nobody not in complete denial can even try to debate.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Accusing people who are being cautious as giving into fear mongering isn’t necessary. Hoarding TP actually amuses me some.

We're talking outright hysteria, there have been fights and near riots. That's ridiculous. Hoarding anything isn't funny, they're causing people to have to stay out longer, travel to more places, exposing them more to a potential infection... Not to mention the people doing it to spike the price and resell it.

I'm not going to get political in this thread, but there are certain media outlets and websites that are politicizing the fuck out of this, making people paranoid like it's fucking doomsday, like they've politicised everything for the last few years, because they have no shame. (And you can absolutely tell who's watching that stuff)

The government is doing fine, just don't be stupid and don't put people at unnecessary risk.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Why South Korea infections are trending down and Italy's is out of control? South Koreans listened, Italians didn't:.

“They cited irresponsible behavior by many citizens, who despite the earlier warnings not to gather in large numbers, headed to beaches or ski resorts, and hung out together in town squares, especially after the closure of schools.”

There was a guy in New York who was getting ready for a flight to Florida when he got the results that he tested positive... He got on the plane and went to Florida anyway. Heard a bunch of these stories.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

We're talking outright hysteria, there have been fights and near riots. That's ridiculous. Hoarding anything isn't funny, they're causing people to have to stay out longer, travel to more places, exposing them more to a potential infection... Not to mention the people doing it to spike the price and resell it.

I'm not going to get political in this thread, but there are certain media outlets and websites that are politicizing the fuck out of this, making people paranoid like it's fucking doomsday, like they've politicised everything for the last few years, because they have no shame. (And you can absolutely tell who's watching that stuff)

The government is doing fine, just don't be stupid and don't put people at unnecessary risk.

You have made this a political post...i thought you said you weren’t going to do that.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:
misterID wrote:

Why South Korea infections are trending down and Italy's is out of control? South Koreans listened, Italians didn't:.

“They cited irresponsible behavior by many citizens, who despite the earlier warnings not to gather in large numbers, headed to beaches or ski resorts, and hung out together in town squares, especially after the closure of schools.”

There was a guy in New York who was getting ready for a flight to Florida when he got the results that he tested positive... He got on the plane and went to Florida anyway. Heard a bunch of these stories.

In France, yesterday a bartender reported that people are still kissing each other to say hello, though they have been warned not to. And last night in Paris some pubs were packed with people sitting on each others' knees and drinking from each others' glasses, with many of those people attending private parties at their friends' afterwards. Hello? Social distancing, anyone? We will see where such behaviour leads to.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Yamcha wrote:
misterID wrote:

In France, yesterday a bartender reported that people are still kissing each other to say hello, though they have been warned not to. And last night in Paris some pubs were packed with people sitting on each others' knees and drinking from each others' glasses, with many of those people attending private parties at their friends' afterwards. Hello? Social distancing, anyone? We will see where such behaviour leads to.

There are two groups at risk: seniors and people with compromised immune systems.  The rest of us will have cold/flu symptoms if anything.  If you are young and healthy and aren't going home to someone in the at risk group, do whatever you want.  The easy answer to this is to have the at risk community protected as much as possible...how do you do that?  Make them responsible for protecting themselves.  They stay home.  Keep visitors out of hospitals and nursing homes.  If you have elderly family with you, don't partake in risky behaviors.  I'll never understand why we have to screw everybody over to protect people that are completely capable of protecting themselves in most cases and have facilities/family capable of protecting them in the case of people in hospitals/nursing homes.

The world has had illnesses long before modern medicine.  People die...we need people to die.  The planet can't support people living much longer.  It's the circle of life.  Now that doesn't mean that if you're more at risk you shouldn't protect yourself, but that's what it is...you should protect yourself or those responsible for you should protect you.  I don't agree that shutting the world down is the way to handle this.  There is far more damage being done to more people by the irrational destruction of the economy than what is being gained by this overreaction.  We've had illnesses like this off and on for at least a decade.  This isn't different at all...people at risk died in those too.  We got through them all just fine.  Why is this one suddenly worth fucking everything up for?  It makes no sense unless you want to get into a political discussion (and not just a US discussion), which we are avoiding here.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

This isn't cautious mitch, it's full blown panic.  There's been nothing cautious about any of this.  It's been knee-jerk reaction after knee-jerk reaction.  Caution isn't letting emotion make decisions.  Caution isn't creating fear and panic in response to something you don't understand. 

Caution is protecting those most at risk.  Why aren't nursing homes and hospitals on lockdown in regards to visitors?  Those are the people at risk.  Has anyone not elderly or with a severe health issue died or had serious complications?  To most of the population, this is a severe upper-respiratory thing that will go away.  Caution is taking a consistent approach rather than one that's all over the place.  Can't go on a cruise, but my brother that just got off of a cruise can fly home?  There's absolutely zero logic to any of this.

When fear and panic control your decision making, it's not going to end well.  It's not caution to shut the world down when so few are at risk from something.  It's irresponsible.  Far, far, FAR more people are being hurt by the response to this than the virus itself and that is an absolute fact nobody not in complete denial can even try to debate.

I guess we just disagree...you seem to take the approach that we know all we need to know there will be a clear and obvious end to something that seems to me nobody really understands....i find it quite bizarre that some countries have basically zero cases and others can’t figure what to do.

Trust me....I’m not panicking...but I’m also not ready to hear the calm down crowd tell me over and over again that this thing is under control. And I’m not watching any news. I’m reading a few things from trusted sources and that’s it.

I’ll tell you one thing..I’m reading a ton of comments from absolute morons saying things like, ‘death is apart of life’ and ‘I’m not breaking my gate for this...’

I see information in this thread that’s been contradicted and contradicted again.

And once again I think lots of people don’t trust the government right now.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Around Philadelphia, from what my friends there tell me they are closing liquor stores.  Anyone want to explain the logic of that?  That's the randomness of this that makes me call bullshit.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Around Philadelphia, from what my friends there tell me they are closing liquor stores.  Anyone want to explain the logic of that?  That's the randomness of this that makes me call bullshit.

Quite honestly that’s the only place I’d go if i was hoarding shit.

I’d take that with a grain of salt tho...there’s lots a reasons the liquor store could be closed.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I guess we just disagree...you seem to take the approach that we know all we need to know there will be a clear and obvious end to something that seems to me nobody really understands....i find it quite bizarre that some countries have basically zero cases and others can’t figure what to do.

Trust me....I’m not panicking...but I’m also not ready to hear the calm down crowd tell me over and over again that this thing is under control. And I’m not watching any news. I’m reading a few things from trusted sources and that’s it.

I’ll tell you one thing..I’m reading a ton of comments from absolute morons saying things like, ‘death is apart of life’ and ‘I’m not breaking my gate for this...’

I see information in this thread that’s been contradicted and contradicted again.

And once again I think lots of people don’t trust the government right now.

Interestingly enough I'm taking the exact opposite approach. We don't know enough to justify the reaction unless there's something they aren't telling us.

Board footer