You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Current Events Thread

Axl S wrote:
bigbri wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Wow. I wonder if this a polling anomaly.

Chuck Todd teased new polling numbers he'll announce for Meet The Press, so I imagine it's this, or a similar polling stat. That wouldn't surprise me, the whole 'Young people get it' and 'herd mentality' talk is basically saying let the people who can't survive die. Pretty appaling.

I assume this is the main poll:
General Election: Trump vs. Biden    NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl    Biden 53, Trump 39    Biden +14

It's the largest lead Biden has had in any General Election poll, and I assume it came after the debate.

Like I said, Trump's debate performance was campaign self-immolation.

Yup this poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, so pre Covid running rampant in WH and GOP news breaking. Polling for Thursday/Friday and Friday/Saturday will be interesting. Should get those tomorrow and Tuesday. The swing's in parts of this WSJ poll are crazy though.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I saw something on voters 62+ in 2016 was like trump 52 Hillary 45, yet now its like Biden 65 trump 32.

Something crazy like that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Wow. I wonder if this a polling anomaly.

Chuck Todd teased new polling numbers he'll announce for Meet The Press, so I imagine it's this, or a similar polling stat. That wouldn't surprise me, the whole 'Young people get it' and 'herd mentality' talk is basically saying let the people who can't survive die. Pretty appaling.

General Election: Trump vs. Biden    NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl    Biden 53, Trump 39    Biden +14

It's the largest lead Biden has had in any General Election poll, and I assume it came after the debate.

Any chance he had was lost in that debate. And he did it to himself.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Any chance he had was lost in that debate. And he did it to himself.

I could see why seniors are breaking toward Biden. In that debate, Trump did not display the respect and dignity that the older generation lives by. In that regard, he came off looking like the younger, disrespectful, smartass “youngins” of the world.

It’s also possible this poll is an outlier. I know we’ve been conditioned to distrust polls, but most respectable pollsters have baked-in the voters that the 2016 polls missed. If they’ve done it right, there shouldn’t be that “silent majority” that Trump touts.

Here’s something else. I admit I just learned this in this cycle. Most people, including me, we’re using “margin of error” improperly. I always thought MOE applied to the final poll spread. So in this NBC poll showing Biden up 14, the MOE is 3.46.

MOE is actually applied to each candidates total, in this case Biden at 53 and Trump at 39. So Biden could be as high as 56 and Trump as low as 36. Or, in the other direction, Trump could be at 42 and Biden at 50.

Another poll out today from CBS has Ohio tied. The Trump camp might latch on to that as a win, considering Biden has consistently been leading all Ohio polls, except CBS polls. This poll actually is an improvement for Biden, as he’s been trailing Trump in CBS polls, most recently by a point. He also improved in the CBS poll in Penn.

Trends are going Biden’s way. Almost 3 million people have already voted. It’s the trends that tell you what’s really happening. Right now, Trump’s losing badly. Of course, he’s probably going to make up some of that with a sympathy vote, unless people see the White House and GOP as wreckless with their super spreading event. If that happens, it could get worse for Trump.

misterID

misterID wrote:

You know, I really shouldn't say he has no chance, I was confident Hillary was going to win. And I think people are lying to pollsters about who they're voting for, like they did last time.

There's not a lot of time before the election to change opinions. Bernie is now appointing himself to cabinet positions, which is infuriating Biden's team. That could have been big, but Trump is stuck in a hospital.

Imagine if Trump just supported masks from the start? IT would have been his biggest sell against lockdowns.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Imagine if Trump just supported masks from the start? IT would have been his biggest sell against lockdowns.

This is exactly why I said covid was a gift. Imagine:

Trump wears masks from the start, encourages his supporters to do so (they will), and directs governors to enact mask mandates.

Then, Trump speaks in a national address, basically saying: We have the finest scientific minds in the world. We’re going to follow their advice and get through this together as a nation. I am not an expert and will rely on our scientific community to guide us through these difficult months.

Then, he just goes out and campaigns using medical advice. When asked about it, he keeps to his script: I’m taking the advice of our medical and scientific communities. This is what we have to do to emerge from this with the lowest loss of life possible.

He gets stimulus packages, enacts the defense production act, creates a national testing and tracing plan.   

BOOM, DONE, he wins the election and we’re sitting in a movie theater watching the new Bond flick this weekend.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Trump wears masks from the start, encourages his supporters to do so (they will), and directs governors to enact mask mandates.

Then, Trump speaks in a national address, basically saying: We have the finest scientific minds in the world. We’re going to follow their advice and get through this together as a nation. I am not an expert and will rely on our scientific community to guide us through these difficult months.

Then, he just goes out and campaigns using medical advice. When asked about it, he keeps to his script: I’m taking the advice of our medical and scientific communities. This is what we have to do to emerge from this with the lowest loss of life possible.

He gets stimulus packages, enacts the defense production act, creates a national testing and tracing plan.   

BOOM, DONE, he wins the election and we’re sitting in a movie theater watching the new Bond flick this weekend.

This is one of the most uninformed and stupidest posts ever made on this forum.

misterID

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Exactly.

I mean, his advisors are awful, mostly because no one wants to work with him and he has zero self discipline. (look how Meadows handled yesterday's press conference) He had opportunity after opportunity and blew them all. The pre-covid economy could have covered this covid recession if he'd stayed on message. He blew that.

I really don't think Dems have the votes in their own party to do any of what they've threatened. And I really think there will be a civil war in the party if Biden wins. If they do go with another lockdown... I don't see that playing well.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Totally disagree.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Struck a nerve, eh? Sound familiar? I used this exact same line on you, Rocky. You think you come in here with knockouts, but you’re wrong.

Board footer