You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: Slash casually refers to a new GNR record in a vague non committal way

jimmythegent wrote:

Wouldn't it be something if they dropped a shit tonne of music in the UYI vein?

Would go some way to addressing the criminally thin discography

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Which makes me wonder: Will we get a 30th anniversaty UYI box set in 2021?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Probably in 2022 so it's a year late like the AFD box wink

I have a kind of a hope that some of the video vault of the UYI tour finds itself pro released for the anniversary. Seems an easy way to make some more dollars.

Either something simple like Tokyo as a bluray but what would be better could be all those other proshots shows from that period - like Indiana, Paris and the whole set - maybe in some type of collectors roadcase or someshit with a postcard added for an extra $5000 16 Seriously though those proshots need a release - unless they were destroyed back in the record company fires or whatever a few years back.

But I guess if next year is new album year then we might have to wait the UYI party until 35 years.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

That would be cool but just to be clear, I meant new music - what I meant by “in the UYI vein” was the sheer volume of material dropped at once.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I don’t want a UYI size release, give us a triple album of new music, fucken lazy cunts... lol

Sky Dog wrote:

The thought that they could get close to UYI is asinine.

Sky Dog wrote:

When I hear Axl say something about new music...which he hasn’t done in 6 years...I will listen. Slash and Slashba need to form a band. 21 dj

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Well we know Slash and Duff have worked on what had been referred to several times as “the next Guns record”.

It’s fun to guess what form this might take but it’s seems increasingly likely it is stuff they already had they have pasted into. Which is a shame because I’d of liked the NITL lineup to redo it fresh. They have 3 years touring under their belts - that is a band.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I don't know why you guys all hang onto this...if Axl and his employees/independent contractors wanted to create something they would've done so over the past 25 years.

Who would even make this happen for them anymore? Guns N' Roses is only alive due to legal and financial agreements.

They have to know by now that it benefits them to occasionally imply an album is in the works. There will never be any album because the implication of an album will always be more valuable than actually producing one.

Axl Rose is 60 years old guys...you really think now is the time to hatch a new phase of this band?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

On one hand he can tour the hits forever, on the other hand - it helps with sales to make small cosmetic changes so that each tour has the branding of a new show even if it mostly isn't.

I'm thinking the AC/DC model would suit GNR.

Basically the live show is mostly a classic hits show - along with 2 or 3 songs specific to the most recent release to vary it up.

AC/DC has worked that way since 1990 or earlier - new material about every 5 years - followed by a 2.5 year world tour branded around the material and using 2 or 3 songs from it mixed in with an unchanging classic hits show. Then 2.5 years of silence and down time. Then repeat.

Obviously given Axl is putting out albums more like every 15 years the idea of something every 5 is insanely ambitious for GNR - but the general model of reinvigorating your hits show by rebranding around a few new songs could work for GNR too. Even if it's 10 years a cycle or if it's only 2 or 3 songs per cycle and not a full album. It's mostly about selling the tour as new from last time. Keeps it feeling new even when it really aint.

It's actually weird that it seems to work psychologically. Like ask anyone and they always love the older material. People use the new songs as piss breaks for these types of bands. But at the end of the day - it was the act of dropping a new record and doing a new show that seemed part of the process of reawakening the Ac/Dc fans of the world each time - even if mostly people just want to hear Back in Black or Highway to Hell or whatever.

I think GNR probably would have done this already this year, as you could tell the NITL brand had been pushed about as far as it could go. But I do worry the corona situation sadly provides a natural reset - in that now you can go back and redo it again and rather than people thinking they already saw that show - they're thinking "return to the good old days" after lockdown. I notice the new Aussie tour is branded as "Stadium Rock Is Back" - which kinda hightened my worries that they might then milk the return as the gimmick rather than a new record.

End of the day they could tour forever just playing jungle - but something akin to the Ac/Dc model would keep those numbers high globally over and over I think.

Board footer