You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
Axl S wrote:

At the end of the day the BLM protests in the Summer were for a fight against a real problem: overall racial inequality and the issue of systemic racism within policing. At the end of the day, there is ample evidence surrounding the proportion of black Americans who are injured or killed in custody when compared with white Americans. It is a real problem, and something worth people protesting.

Did those protests sometimes spill over into violent rioting? Yes.

But the negative aspects of the BLM protests comparable to what happened last Wednesday? No.

If that attack on the capitol goes even more sideways and they don't evacuate the chamber in time, or the insurrectionists find the VP, any senator, any congressmen or staffers then you could have been looking at a disaster day scenario. And with what we have learned since then with some capitol police being involved it's even more worrying. Their chances of success were slim but that was a coup attempt. Just because it was unsuccessful, and unlikely to be , doesn't mean it can be ignored and whitewashed.

The whataboutism is insane. Say what you want about the current state of the far left in the west but the most extreme shit they've done recently is disrupt some public transport and roads in the name of protesting about the climate crisis and an idiot (some opportunistic) fringe participating in rioting and looting. They weren't trying to kill the VP, and they aren't down the rabbit hole of believing one of the wealthiest countries in the world can't organise a secure mail in voting system.

On the censorship point... these are private platforms and publishers. They aren't obliged to carry his content. He has a press briefing room and also there is this thing called the internet. He can host a website and put out whatever shit he wants to. He has not been censored, his first amendment rights haven't been violated.

You're making my point, I'm not talking protests, I'm talking riots and looting, which are NOT protests. Everyone is entitled to protest, no one is entitled to riot. There were right and left-wing groups storming federal/state capitals. They were copying each other. You cannot say "I agree with this message so the violence is undersandable" which is the message we were getting.

The far left shot up a softball game to massacre republicans. A Republican was near stabbed to death in California because he was a Republican. this is not whataboutism, we've been living with this violence. A senator was attacked on his own lawn. It should not be a debate about who's worse, any violence is wrong. Why don't we just have a debate on who's worse, Islamic terrorist or Christian?

These companies are operating within the public sphere, they don't charge for membership, they have to adhere to certain rights, especially Twitter who is now operating as a publisher (which Facebook is careful not to do). You cannot discriminate. If Trump broke the rules of their terms of service, fine. Ban him. If they banned him for the "good" of the public, that's a problem. It's not about Trump, but what they're allowing you to hear. Especially when real dictators like Russia, China and Iran are still allowed to have a voice there and spread disinformation and hate. Let's not pretend these companies don't have the power they do.

My problem goes deeper than Trump, this is control over speech, where anything considered anti woke is violent rhetoric, which is where this has been heading. What's wrong with having an open debate on the power of big tech and their influence on news, politics, and the dissemination of information? If it takes Trump to do it, then let's have it. This is the opportunity to do it.

Ok so do nothing and expect more in the future...that’s really the only conclusion I’m coming to anymore.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

[/embed]
Who cares? Fuck em all...i wouldn’t miss any of em. I’m tired of seeing dipshits take pictures of food or rant about nothing. No one has anything of importance to say.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Thank God for Taibi and Greenwald, liberals with balls.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

[/embed]
Who cares? Fuck em all...i wouldn’t miss any of em. I’m tired of seeing dipshits take pictures of food or rant about nothing. No one has anything of importance to say.

See, mitch, this is the issue: "I don't like this so just get rid of it" instead of you showing the responsibility of not looking at it. *I* should have the power to determine if you should have a public forum and if what you say is important to be heard. That's censorship.

Impeachment is not nothing. Censuring is not nothing.

misterID

misterID wrote:

If Trump is impeached he can't run for office again. Right now it's a matter of time in getting it done, but I think you can still impeach after they leave office.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

[/embed]

See, mitch, this is the issue: "I don't like this so just get rid of it" instead of you showing the responsibility of not looking at it. *I* should have the power to determine if you should have a public forum and if what you say is important to be heard. That's censorship.

If you need a forum to express your lunatic fringe conspiracy theories like pizza gate or actors pretending to be trump supporters then this country is toast.

The internet is just filled to the brim with stupid people who claim to have expert opinions.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think the issue with parlor is they did a horrible job monitoring and censoring posts and accounts. Whereas FB & twitter actively monitored it, methods to 'Report' posts, delete accounts etc.  Parlor welcomed those miscreants, and capitalized on it.

I guess its like Backpage, a 'fake' craigslist site that was mostly just prostitution. I read where some hacker type archived almost all of Parlor in the final 24 hours, and is submitted it to the feds to investigate. Also, anyone go on FB and search '#noflylist'?  Pretty funny videos on there, word is that because the Capitol Building is so large and there's a downstairs offices and meeting rooms to it, it has its own cell towers, so when you enter it pings you. Supposedly the feds ran reports of anyone who pinged inside, and placed them on the No Fly List.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

[/embed]

If you need a forum to express your lunatic fringe conspiracy theories like pizza gate or actors pretending to be trump supporters then this country is toast.

The internet is just filled to the brim with stupid people who claim to have expert opinions.

Your biggest issue was people taking pictures of food. Now it's pizzagate. And now they're moving to the darkweb, which can't be traced. Which is worse? I mean, you're acting like this is new or regulated to one side.

misterID

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I think the issue with parlor is they did a horrible job monitoring and censoring posts and accounts. Whereas FB & twitter actively monitored it, methods to 'Report' posts, delete accounts etc.  Parlor welcomed those miscreants, and capitalized on it.

I guess its like Backpage, a 'fake' craigslist site that was mostly just prostitution. I read where some hacker type archived almost all of Parlor in the final 24 hours, and is submitted it to the feds to investigate. Also, anyone go on FB and search '#noflylist'?  Pretty funny videos on there, word is that because the Capitol Building is so large and there's a downstairs offices and meeting rooms to it, it has its own cell towers, so when you enter it pings you. Supposedly the feds ran reports of anyone who pinged inside, and placed them on the No Fly List.

The capital insurrection was planned through Facebook, not Parlor. There were no hearings like they do for big tech on their shady moderating.

Board footer