You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Current Events Thread

Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If you are incapable of getting an ID you probably should not be voting. Every US citizen has a right to vote, but I don’t want every uninformed idiot to vote. If you don’t have an ID that is on you.

Every citizen have a right to vote and cost shouldn't be a barrier to that. What if someone's homeless - should they have a right to vote?

You're arguing to restrict voting access based on socioeconomic circumstance (which already is the case in some places).

Anyway, this problem is fixed with free federal issued ID.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If you are incapable of getting an ID you probably should not be voting. Every US citizen has a right to vote, but I don’t want every uninformed idiot to vote. If you don’t have an ID that is on you.

Every citizen have a right to vote and cost shouldn't be a barrier to that. What if someone's homeless - should they have a right to vote?

You're arguing to restrict voting access based on socioeconomic circumstance (which already is the case in some places).

Unlike the UK, the US has no National ID. And no, social security numbers don’t count. Nor is your SSN card required to register. The nation is trying to create “Real ID” standards for identification requirements in all 50 states since 9/11, but the process has already been delayed several years and was recently delayed until 2023. Some people in the US are adamantly against any form of federal ID, as evidenced by those opposed to e-verify. Only in America can you register to vote with a utility bill and nothing else.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Unlike the UK, the US has no National ID. And no, social security numbers don’t count. Nor is your SSN card required to register. The nation is trying to create “Real ID” standards for identification requirements in all 50 states since 9/11, but the process has already been delayed several years and was recently delayed until 2023. Some people in the US are adamantly against any form of federal ID, as evidenced by those opposed to e-verify. Only in America can you register to vote with a utility bill and nothing else.

Ironic to me that the same people who think Microsoft is planting chips in you are the same ones who want a federal database of IDs.

It seems clear you’re going to bypass any arguments about ‘if you’re going to create these rules you need to give easy access to those that might have some trouble obtaining them’ arguments by continuing to point out other countries have them.

It’s irrelevant.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Ironic to me that the same people who think Microsoft is planting chips in you are the same ones who want a federal database of IDs.

It seems clear you’re going to bypass any arguments about ‘if you’re going to create these rules you need to give easy access to those that might have some trouble obtaining them’ arguments by continuing to point out other countries have them.

It’s irrelevant.

I’ve never said anything about chips being implemented. Should I assume you think vaccines cause autism since a lot of left wing Berkeley types hold that view. I’m all for free ID, but that’s not an argument from anyone with authority legislating new laws. They want to ban ID, it’s in the law. No ID law not present at the date the law becomes signed can be implemented after it’s signed. That’s in the bill.

I haven’t ignored anything. It wasn’t part of the discussion.  You’ve yet to explain why requiring ID is a burden and how in light of all the hacks and the absolute desire of Russia, China and any entity hostile to the US would love to harm our election system, we shouldn’t ensure adequate oversight and control.

Yes, we point to examples of success where it’s occurred. You and others have no problem doing so when you advocate for National healthcare or paid maternity leave. Why is this situation any different?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

It’s irrelevant.

I’ve never said anything about chips being implemented. Should I assume you think vaccines cause autism since a lot of left wing Berkeley types hold that view. I’m all for free ID, but that’s not an argument from anyone with authority legislating new laws. They want to ban ID, it’s in the law. No ID law not present at the date the law becomes signed can be implemented after it’s signed. That’s in the bill.

I haven’t ignored anything. It wasn’t part of the discussion.  You’ve yet to explain why requiring ID is a burden and how in light of all the hacks and the absolute desire of Russia, China and any entity hostile to the US would love to harm our election system, we shouldn’t ensure adequate oversight and control.

Yes, we point to examples of success where it’s occurred. You and others have no problem doing so when you advocate for National healthcare or paid maternity leave. Why is this situation any different?

Let me clarify...i never meant you specifically regarding the microchip stuff. I mean the groups at large.

It’s a burden to implement these rules in places where there are few and far government services to provide whatever version of the ID you are advocating. I believe this is intentional by the Republican Party.

It’s a burden on the individual when you are in fact paying for your right to vote. I also believe this to be intentional by the Republican Party because there are obvious motives for them to do that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The laws I've seen have opened up more polling stations and will cut down wait times. They also provide the ability to get IDs for anyone who doesn't have one for free. And no one can complain about passing laws to help one side in the election while supporting a glorified city being turned into a state to help the other side win the senate.

Manchin and Sinema are really ballsy.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Lol ok ID

What glorified city?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The UK doesn't have national ID either. For voting you need to be registered on the national electoral roll. This ensures a polling card is sent to your home before election day telling you what polling station to turn up and vote at. If voting by post or proxy you register beforehand in the run up to specific elections.

This form captures all the information required:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u … otland.pdf

As mentioned before an NI number is required and if one can't be provided they follow up to verify another way. The NI is pretty much the same as a SSN, need one to work and it ties into state retirement benefits.

Like I said, I think if the federal government provides a free Federal ID document to all citizens/legal residents, then having something like an ID check is fine. I think it becomes an issue when ID is required and that isn't provided because then you have a cost barrier to voting (on top of all the other ones that are slipped in like inconvenient poll times, lack of polling stations with an area and banning of mail voting).

Reform all those at once and you're on to a winner, just implement "Need to check ID" but nothing else and you solve one problem but create new ones.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:

Lol ok ID

What glorified city?

The one codified into federal law - Washington DC.  The one you need an amendment to change, and has zero chance being approved by SCOTUS.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Lol ok ID

What glorified city?

The one codified into federal law - Washington DC.  The one you need an amendment to change, and has zero chance being approved by SCOTUS.

Ohhh that one...the one that has a population larger than like 10 states that have senators

Board footer