You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Current Events Thread

Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Actually I am saying if you are not aware of issues or someone’s platform you morally should not participate in a vote for the most powerful person on the planet. Can they? Sure. Should they? Probably no.

Are you saying that for anyone where affording ID might be an issue that  they are a) clearly uninformed and  b) even though they have a right to vote it's actually good to create barriers to stop those people voting? That's fucked up dude.

On the status of DC, PR and Guam - as an outsider it's always seemed weird that you have American citizens that do not have the same representation as other Americans. Since congress is a key legislative body within the US it's baffling to me that people who live in these places aren't properly represented there. Seems like a serious democratic deficit.

No I am not saying that. I am saying if you are a stupid mother fucker, please don’t vote. Just because you have a right to vote doesn’t mean you should. If you don’t do your homework on the candidates, don’t vote. Stupid people voting can have consequences. This is common sense. I want people aware of the issues that have made a sound decision to vote. It is their moral responsibility to not participate if they are uniformed.

Ok, well what's that got to do with what was being talked about. You just went on a rant about wanting certain people not to vote.

I said that a concern with ID checks at stations, is if ID is not provided to all of those eligible to vote then you've created a cost barrier to voting. That's a problem for any poorer people who live paycheck to paycheck, dollar to dollar and also probably for homeless people etc. In practice it could function as pseudo-disenfranchisment.

You read that and decided to complain about "stupid" people voting. Why?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Are you saying that for anyone where affording ID might be an issue that  they are a) clearly uninformed and  b) even though they have a right to vote it's actually good to create barriers to stop those people voting? That's fucked up dude.

On the status of DC, PR and Guam - as an outsider it's always seemed weird that you have American citizens that do not have the same representation as other Americans. Since congress is a key legislative body within the US it's baffling to me that people who live in these places aren't properly represented there. Seems like a serious democratic deficit.

No I am not saying that. I am saying if you are a stupid mother fucker, please don’t vote. Just because you have a right to vote doesn’t mean you should. If you don’t do your homework on the candidates, don’t vote. Stupid people voting can have consequences. This is common sense. I want people aware of the issues that have made a sound decision to vote. It is their moral responsibility to not participate if they are uniformed.

Ok, well what's that got to do with what was being talked about. You just went on a rant about wanting certain people not to vote.

I said that a concern with ID checks at stations, is if ID is not provided to all of those eligible to vote then you've created a cost barrier to voting. That's a problem for any poorer people who live paycheck to paycheck, dollar to dollar and also probably for homeless people etc. In practice it could function as pseudo-disenfranchisment.

Because a lot of stupid people have ID’s. They can legally vote but it would be better if they didn’t. Getting an ID seems simple but maybe it is hard. Hard for me to know since I have had an ID since I was 15 years old.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

But what does that have to do with my point? I'm talking about making sure there aren't cost barriers to voting and you're going on about people being stupid.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's easy to get an ID, they just need to make sure everyone who wants one gets one. Community organizers would be good at this

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Because a lot of stupid people have ID’s. They can legally vote but it would be better if they didn’t. Getting an ID seems simple but maybe it is hard. Hard for me to know since I have had an ID since I was 15 years old.

This is exactly why i believe you shouldn’t be able to vote...

Look at you arbitrarily deciding who is stupid and shouldn’t get to vote.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think he's saying he wished they didn't vote, not that they should be prevented from voting. Anyone who wants to vote should. I think you would want more informed people voting.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's easy to get an ID, they just need to make sure everyone who wants one gets one. Community organizers would be good at this

Are the two IDs typically used in the US passport and driver's license? One simple solution to this that is probably easy to do is just make applying for and receiving a passport free.

Like you say, if they want to check IDs they need to just make sure it's easy for everyone to get one. And easy includes cost but also the process.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

Are the two IDs typically used in the US passport and driver's license? One simple solution to this that is probably easy to do is just make applying for and receiving a passport free.

Like you say, if they want to check IDs they need to just make sure it's easy for everyone to get one. And easy includes cost but also the process.

You haven’t gotten an answer to this question because the proponents don’t really know or care.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

You haven’t gotten an answer to this question because the proponents don’t really know or care.

To get an ID you must present some documentation proving you are who you say you are. Like I said, I have had one since I was $15. It is a very simple process.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

My state, Pennsylvania, allows people to register and vote with a utility bill. The answer has been stated throughout this entire thread. No one is ignoring anything, I personally just don’t like repeating myself, providing evidence of my citations, and being ignored and asked to repeat the process. But my sanity is in question, so here’s another link:

https://www.votespa.com/Register-to-Vot … oters.aspx

I can’t answer the requirements for every state. Your state of Illinois also only requires a utility bill:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/SiteCollec … sber19.pdf

I assume you knew this, so your statement is puzzling given that your own state doesn’t require ID to vote. And the fact you seem to be supporting AxlS’s false notion that a drivers license or passport is in anyway required to register, is even more perplexing giving the law in your own state. Maybe you didn’t know the requirements? In which case it may not be prudent to accuse others of such lack of knowledge.

Board footer