You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:

I do know the requirements for my state...however...these new, more stringent requirements aren't being proposed or considered here, are they?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I wouldn’t know. I know that a Voting Law is being debated with near universal Democratic support making it a federal crime for Illinois (or any other state) to ever attempt to require ID. A quick google search shows a political group campaigning for Voter ID in your state, but I don’t know the support they have. In my state, a bill was presented last week, that I strong support, and that improved the security of our elections.

So I’ll repeat my original statement that started this dialogue and state that the US is the only western democracy that doesn’t require a state issued ID to register and/or vote. Most states only require a utility bill for identification purposes, and one of our major political parties is actively trying to outlaw any form of ID to register or vote in 2021. In the most powerful nation on earth. A nation that is under constant bombardment of cyber attacks and encryption hacks.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I wouldn’t know. I know that a Voting Law is being debated with near universal Democratic support making it a federal crime for Illinois (or any other state) to ever attempt to require ID. A quick google search shows a political group campaigning for Voter ID in your state, but I don’t know the support they have. In my state, a bill was presented last week, that I strong support, and that improved the security of our elections.

So I’ll repeat my original statement that started this dialogue and state that the US is the only western democracy that doesn’t require a state issued ID to register and/or vote. Most states only require a utility bill for identification purposes, and one of our major political parties is actively trying to outlaw any form of ID to register or vote in 2021. In the most powerful nation on earth. A nation that is under constant bombardment of cyber attacks and encryption hacks.

To answer your first question...there is very little support for this because it is a pretty popular belief that these measures have nothing to do with election security. Are we concerned about election security? Yes. Do we believe voter ID ameliorates these concerns? Not as it is currently being proposed in Georgia, Texas and anywhere else where the Republicans are control.

I will also state this...when I became a citizen/resident of Illinois and no longer a citizen of Wisconsin...I had to prove my united states' citizenship by producing everything from a birth certificate to a high school report card. All in all I had to produce approximately 12 documents as proof...

So yes...we here in Illinois are quite skeptical that any of this shit has anything to do with election security. We can still get hacked even with a library card ID.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Question ...when Manchin says no on the infrastructure package because he “doesn’t think they should go out alone will he still be a patriot and a hero?

Or even better...Manchin agrees to a deal but none have the Republicans voted for it...then they get to go back home and take credit for it anyways....are they true patriots ahd heroes too?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's easy to get an ID, they just need to make sure everyone who wants one gets one. Community organizers would be good at this

Are the two IDs typically used in the US passport and driver's license? One simple solution to this that is probably easy to do is just make applying for and receiving a passport free.

Like you say, if they want to check IDs they need to just make sure it's easy for everyone to get one. And easy includes cost but also the process.

Man, I did answer this but I see it didn't post! Yes, but you can just get a regular ID for people who don't drive, etc. It's really easy to get.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Question ...when Manchin says no on the infrastructure package because he “doesn’t think they should go out alone will he still be a patriot and a hero?

Or even better...Manchin agrees to a deal but none have the Republicans voted for it...then they get to go back home and take credit for it anyways....are they true patriots ahd heroes too?

When you call everything infrastructure it gets really easy to vote no.

Again, they have been passing a lot of bills that are being signed into law without obstruction of filibusters, so this is pretty disingenuous.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:

I believe he’s the most courageous politician in America at the moment. Democrats cheered McCain when he singlehandedly stopped the ACA repeal. Being brave isn’t something that comes with million dollar Nike contracts and adoration on Twitter.

Manchin is part of the 10 senators that allegedly have drafted a multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill. If Schumer refuses to bring that bill to the floor, or Pelosi refuses to bring it to a vote in the House, why is the narrative Republican obstruction?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I believe he’s the most courageous politician in America at the moment. Democrats cheered McCain when he singlehandedly stopped the ACA repeal. Being brave isn’t something that comes with million dollar Nike contracts and adoration on Twitter.

Manchin is part of the 10 senators that allegedly have drafted a multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill. If Schumer refuses to bring that bill to the floor, or Pelosi refuses to bring it to a vote in the House, why is the narrative Republican obstruction?

That’s my whole point...behind the scenes they negotiate...in public they will likely never vote for it. So is it really bipartisan then?

Unless I’ve completely misread the situation, in order for negotiations to be bipartisan, do they not have to still vote for it?

I’ve dismissed silly shit like court packing or other stuff the Dems promised but will never deliver on.

But this whole negotiation thing...if it doesn’t actually garner a single Republican vote...then what was the point?

Randall Flagg

I think it’s safe to say if Schumer brings the bipartisan bill up, you’ll have 5 republicans and 5 democrats voting for it guaranteed, and however many of their party members want to join them. Contrasted with Warren who came out against any bill that doesn’t include paid daycare and climate reform. 10 senators are doing something that has a chance of becoming law.

Randall Flagg

Maybe you falsely believe the ACA was in any way bipartisan or that a single Republican contributed to any part of the law?  I don’t know where you get this notion of a bipartisan bill that was voted against by people who worked on it. Bottom line is without GOP support, nothing the extreme left wants will happen. So maybe meet in the middle and work on stuff the majority of people want, versus trying to reengineer the entire economy.

Board footer