You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Maybe you falsely believe the ACA was in any way bipartisan or that a single Republican contributed to any part of the law?  I don’t know where you get this notion of a bipartisan bill that was voted against by people who worked on it. Bottom line is without GOP support, nothing the extreme left wants will happen. So maybe meet in the middle and work on stuff the majority of people want, versus trying to reengineer the entire economy.

Honestly that whole ACA act is when i got involved in politics. It’s why i deeply distrust the GOP.

We could go through it all line by line...but precious babies who were born with pre-existing conditions turned out to be the GOPs biggest enemy.

That’s when i said ‘fuck ‘em’ and I’ve never looked back.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Question ...when Manchin says no on the infrastructure package because he “doesn’t think they should go out alone will he still be a patriot and a hero?

Or even better...Manchin agrees to a deal but none have the Republicans voted for it...then they get to go back home and take credit for it anyways....are they true patriots ahd heroes too?

I believe he’s the most courageous politician in America at the moment. Democrats cheered McCain when he singlehandedly stopped the ACA repeal. Being brave isn’t something that comes with million dollar Nike contracts and adoration on Twitter.

Manchin is part of the 10 senators that allegedly have drafted a multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill. If Schumer refuses to bring that bill to the floor, or Pelosi refuses to bring it to a vote in the House, why is the narrative Republican obstruction?

I'd add Sinema, too. Gives zero fucks what she's threatened with.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Are all these Trumpists who are unseating 'centrists' heroes too?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

Not in my opinion. Was AOC a hero when she ousted the 2nd most powerful Democrat in DC?  I hold Greene with the same regard I do Omar. Both are fucking morons who peddle dangerous conspiracies and are exposed frauds.

I don’t understand your opposition to leaders that find common ground and legislate real change, rather than those who pontificate and accomplish nothing. 

The reality is both of the bills Democrats have actually put forward and voted on are several years old bills they wrote in fantasy land. Republicans do it too, and the house has embodied this nuttiness since at least 2004, if not earlier. It’s really easy to pass a law you know has no chance of passing to drum up support. Republicans did this nonstop in the house from 2010-2016, repeatedly passing ACA repeals they knew had no chance in the Senate. Both voting rights bills are similar examples, but now they’re fucked cause they know it would be political suicide to ram through (this is what Manchin recognizes) and result in them not only decisively losing both chambers next year, but may cost Biden any chance in 24. To say nothing of the very real possibilities that many of their clauses would be struck down by SCOTUS. That’s the political calculus Schumer, Pelosi and Biden are considering. They’re not idiots.

The House infrastructure bill is the same way. It was passed as a political statement, and few who’ve actually read it can argue it’s economically plausible. If you haven’t noticed, the past two presidential elections have been decided on hate rather than support. I’m hoping both sides recognize the value in not demonizing each other and validating the hyperbole each accuses the other of. If you don’t piss people off, they’re less likely to show up to vote you out.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Great points, flagg.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Not in my opinion. Was AOC a hero when she ousted the 2nd most powerful Democrat in DC?  I hold Greene with the same regard I do Omar. Both are fucking morons who peddle dangerous conspiracies and are exposed frauds.

I don’t understand your opposition to leaders that find common ground and legislate real change, rather than those who pontificate and accomplish nothing. 

The reality is both of the bills Democrats have actually put forward and voted on are several years old bills they wrote in fantasy land. Republicans do it too, and the house has embodied this nuttiness since at least 2004, if not earlier. It’s really easy to pass a law you know has no chance of passing to drum up support. Republicans did this nonstop in the house from 2010-2016, repeatedly passing ACA repeals they knew had no chance in the Senate. Both voting rights bills are similar examples, but now they’re fucked cause they know it would be political suicide to ram through (this is what Manchin recognizes) and result in them not only decisively losing both chambers next year, but may cost Biden any chance in 24. To say nothing of the very real possibilities that many of their clauses would be struck down by SCOTUS. That’s the political calculus Schumer, Pelosi and Biden are considering. They’re not idiots.

The House infrastructure bill is the same way. It was passed as a political statement, and few who’ve actually read it can argue it’s economically plausible. If you haven’t noticed, the past two presidential elections have been decided on hate rather than support. I’m hoping both sides recognize the value in not demonizing each other and validating the hyperbole each accuses the other of. If you don’t piss people off, they’re less likely to show up to vote you out.

I really don't know how you can say some of this stuff and still have voted for Trump...

Also, I thought, according to your political calculus,  it was a foregone conclusion that they lose at least one, if not both the chambers no matter what they do...is it not?

When McConnell goes out of his way to make statements about no approving a supreme court nominee by Biden in 2024 when 2021 isn't even over...the games that are being played don't tell me that the Dems should be playing the long game on any of this...

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Great points, flagg.

lol great contribution ID...

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Now that SCOTUS has kept the ACA intact and 2 of Trump’s appointees to include ACB sided with the 7-2 majority, are we going to hold those who screamed Armageddon accountable?  Or is such hyperbole and hysterics par for the course?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Now that SCOTUS has kept the ACA intact and 2 of Trump’s appointees to include ACB sided with the 7-2 majority, are we going to hold those who screamed Armageddon accountable?  Or is such hyperbole and hysterics par for the course?

How does one interpret this in any other way than the way Trump and other Republicans presented this?

They put 3 justices on the court in 4 years and among many other things, claimed they'd be able to overturn the ACA. This was their stated purpose, was it not?

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Great points, flagg.

lol great contribution ID...

I could be a dick here and point out the times you've made a similar post, but I think it's probably the intent to get drawn into a pissing contest. I'll just say it was nice to read a very thought out and fair post.

Board footer