You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Rearranged US dates announced

FlashFlood wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This year is almost a little make or brake mentally for me...like if they come out and they do a 'new' song like Hardschool and things are a bit different and you could consider these the warm up shows for a new era with maybe an album to follow in a year or two I'd be right behind it....but if it's NITL tour year 6 then I'm going to struggle.

I can see not releasing a new album until the global situation is fixed, but this big break has been a perfect time for a tonal and mental shift...like really you'd hope this tour will be the start of a new era....but then....it's GNR lol...

In a way, the pandemic takes them off the hook for new music. Sell the old show at high demand. I did feel in 2019/2020 they were trending towards new material…I feel like we’ve likely regressed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I did feel in 2019/2020 they were trending towards new material…I feel like we’ve likely regressed.

yeah that's my worry...it looked like something was kinda on the verge of happening. Hopefully it still does - who knows maybe lockdowns etc will have lit a fire under them it seems to have shaken a lot of us.

But if it regresses back to 2017...well there's nothing I can do about it of course...but TBH i dunno how much more holding pattern I can do....not that anyone should care...but just for me personally lol....I mean it's 2021...that's 20 years since Rio3....20 years with CD being the "new" album...and it's 5 years since the reunion now....I mean obviously they are going to be a 'hits' act at this point in their career - but I kinda need something to attach it to mentally....just every now and then we need a new era...like how Ac/Dc do things....but that's a different group of people at the end of the day I guess.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've long given up hope Monkey....there is just no drive to create new music...or maybe Axl is paralyzed by an untoppable AFD

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
sp1at wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This year is almost a little make or brake mentally for me...like if they come out and they do a 'new' song like Hardschool and things are a bit different and you could consider these the warm up shows for a new era with maybe an album to follow in a year or two I'd be right behind it....but if it's NITL tour year 6 then I'm going to struggle.

I can see not releasing a new album until the global situation is fixed, but this big break has been a perfect time for a tonal and mental shift...like really you'd hope this tour will be the start of a new era....but then....it's GNR lol...

The longer they leave it, the less people will care. The ball is in their court, it's up to them to make it count

Too right. I have a lot of respect for bands who can afford to releasing new music during the lockdown...

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:

Have they downsized a bit on this tour? Yeah there's stadiums but I see some arenas in the mix.

Don't want to risk playing in a half empty Levi Stadium so they're going to SAP Center instead.

A band like Guns generally gets paid up front by the promoters, who in turn get sweaty palms over eventual attendance. For Guns, bigger venues are more money in the bank. Downsizing and upscaling is an ongoing thing, but it's mainly driven by local markets and grassroots realities that the promoters need to adapt to. Then they haggle with the band over dates and expenses.

Axl's generally less concerned about venue size and attendance and more about getting the whole of the show "right". If he can bask in the adulation of the first three rows and is able to hear himself while singing, he can be a happy camper even with half the seats curtained off.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:

Have they downsized a bit on this tour? Yeah there's stadiums but I see some arenas in the mix.

Don't want to risk playing in a half empty Levi Stadium so they're going to SAP Center instead.

A band like Guns generally gets paid up front by the promoters, who in turn get sweaty palms over eventual attendance. For Guns, bigger venues are more money in the bank. Downsizing and upscaling is an ongoing thing, but it's mainly driven by local markets and grassroots realities that the promoters need to adapt to. Then they haggle with the band over dates and expenses.

Axl's generally less concerned about venue size and attendance and more about getting the whole of the show "right". If he can bask in the adulation of the first three rows and is able to hear himself while singing, he can be a happy camper even with half the seats curtained off.

Oh. What's changed since 2002? Or 2014?

Sky Dog wrote:

Are we back to griping about the size of venues they play? Who cares at this point? They did their mega cash cow tour. I like the mix of venue sizes. Fine with me. axl

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Are we back to griping about the size of venues they play? Who cares at this point? They did their mega cash cow tour. I like the mix of venue sizes. Fine with me. axl

Getting the chance to see them in a small venue is part of why I am excited to see them on this tour.

Still very cautiously holding out hope for something new or exciting on the tour.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Oh. What's changed since 2002? Or 2014?

Axl's mortgage, for one. He funded the pre-NITL touring band out of pocket for years. Profitable enough to keep going, but a monetary gamble, regardless.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That's why you suddenly saw those sponsorships. I think the NITL tour set him up for life, but he does like to spend money like Nic Cage, though.

There's a lot of shit they can do. I guess you could make the argument they were touring the AFD box set. They have an album worth of material just sitting there. No one can convince me they didn't rerecord that whole damn thing already.

Board footer