You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: WTF happened to…Catcher in the Rye

FlashFlood wrote:

Easily one of, if not the biggest abominations on the album. After desperately waiting for a proper version to compare to the original cassette leak, it was just gross.

This coming from someone who doesn’t necessarily mind Ron’s solo, maybe because I never found May’s that compelling.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Easily one of, if not the biggest abominations on the album. After desperately waiting for a proper version to compare to the original cassette leak, it was just gross.

This coming from someone who doesn’t necessarily mind Ron’s solo, maybe because I never found May’s that compelling.

Again, I thought the original Catcher demo had something...something that we widdle away by the time the final album version came to be...

What a compelling thing to write a song about. What an interesting idea...but it led to nothing.

Maybe Brian May's solo stands out because his replacement basically tried fit 500,000 notes into a solo.

Sky Dog wrote:

I agree with Mitch...great lyrics and ideas horribly executed in the final product.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Beautiful melodies, great lyrics and one of Axl's best outros. I prefer the album version because it doesn't fadeout and I actually like Ron's solo.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl’s outro  is great...it’s just too busy with the 6 guitars

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Songs along the lines of Civil War imho.  Should've been treated as such, probably should've been an early radio release for the album.

Overall, needs a cleaner one better final take. Both on the vocals, and final mix. It's a bit jumbled, different sounds & structures and arrangements. It's all over the place. Solo loses alot, although I kinda think the Brian May solo/Holy Grail talk is a bit much.  Lyrics are good, vocals ok, just doesn't seem like a band behind him as much as a backing band for a solo artist (Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry etc)

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

There is a classic GN'R song here buried in a sea of noise pollution. The leaked demo was 1000 times better. What Bumblefoot did to this song is unforgivable. One of Axl's shining moments as a songwriter - a shame the mix and execution was so off. A massive wasted chance.

Sky Dog wrote:

First, Ron did his thing and left it to Axl and Caram. He was ask to do a job on all of the material and fulfilled his duties....just like Bucket Robin Richard and Paul. The final mix and choices of what to use were in Axl and Caram’s hands. I am not a Ron fan but fair is fair. axl

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I actually think what Ron did he was a good version of playing the solo in his own style and making it more shreddy and consistent with the tone/sound of all the bucket/ron 'industrial' solos in the other tracks.

It kinda keeps the main thematic ideas of the solo (which I think are said to be assembled by Axl out of Brian May's various takes) but makes it match the rest of the record.

So I don't at all blame Ron for the changes to the song.

However of all the songs on the album, this is the one that sort of lost something intangible with it's redux version...there's just a vibe to that "demo" version that's not on the final. I think it might be the mix - the early version feels piano driven and you feel the song pushing along with Axl's piano in a way thats kinda not there now.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am pretty sure Axl wrote that as one of his piano songs. axl

Board footer