You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

Smoking Guns wrote:

Looking forward to the new slash album coming out on Gibson Records. At least we will get some new music

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

+1 on his mental health appearing better.

For all our criticisms of TB when it comes to the job side of GN'R, if them and their family have helped Axl be in a good place mentally that's only a good thing. From what little we know he had a really fucked up early life so if he's better in that respect then that is nice on a human level.

Agreed on wanting something more to bookend their careers. Even for Slash & Duff - their solo stuff is fine but it's hardly anything that is going to go down in the annals of rock history. One last record as Guns with some good songs on it (even if really old) would be a good bookend for alll of them.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Not to make excuses, but I think the sole purpose of this tour is to line their pockets with money after losing out on a lot being on lockdown the last year plus. They were raking in the money prior to 2020 and then the entertainment world came to a screeching halt. Money is made through touring, not albums. Hate to keep pushing the goalposts, but I wouldn’t expect any movement on the new music end until after this run. I’d expect them to play “Hard School” eventually and make that a staple in a sense. But that’s about it.

A positive review from the show here that does mention the lack of set list changes. But other than that, it’s still a good show to catch for a night out.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n- … show-2021/

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Making up for lost money…. that’s funny,  when they’ve all made more money than anyone would need for several lifetimes.

Money is clearly the only motivating factor for Axl’s absolutely abysmal display, because he doesn’t seem to care enough to put any effort into his performance.

And like Smoke said, why is it that only GN’R (Axl) that are constantly having sound issues? Does this seem to plague any other stadium sized band, that are their peers?

And my god, Dead Horse was terrible. Axl started singing over Slash’s solo spot, only to stop when he realised he was making a mistake.

Unrehearsed, out of shape, out of voice, and out of excuses. Just let this band die already

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Did Axl attend the soundcheck?

He did, two days before the show. He sounded better than at the show

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Making up for lost money…. that’s funny,  when they’ve all made more money than anyone would need for several lifetimes.

Money is clearly the only motivating factor for Axl’s absolutely abysmal display, because he doesn’t seem to care enough to put any effort into his performance.

Just because they already have a lot of money doesn’t mean they don’t want/need more. They’re used to living a certain lifestyle and were taking in millions a year and that all went away suddenly. I know it’s not easy to hear or comprehend, but it’s reality.

From the clips I saw, they seemed to be in good spirits. So I don’t agree that they’re just going through the motions and don’t care what product they’re putting out. They’re doing it for the money. They added Dead Horse, granted it’s only 1 song, but it’s something. You’re Crazy hasn’t been played a lot either. Slither is played to throw a bone to Slash and Duff playing the CD songs.

I get the frustration, but I also get what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. We’ve been having the same discussions and complaints for years now. Shame on us if we keep on spinning our wheels. I’m skipping out on this tour, mainly because of finances and other things. I’d love to hear Dead Horse though, despite the lackluster performance last night. But I’d rather wait for some more substantial changes.

As Axl alluded to a few times though, we spent a year locked in our houses basically and we’re back to bitching about the same things. So I guess we are indeed back to normal. I try to enjoy what we do have instead of dwelling on what we don’t, but that’s just me. To each their own.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Someone on HTGTH posted this defense of Axl:

"There was absolutely nothing wrong with his voice. I was up front in the PIT. His mic was cutting out randomly throughout the songs. A good example was during Better. I heard him hammering the lyrics but they didn't come out over the sound system. The "gasp of air" people are referring to is him not choosing to sing those lyrics because they were vocally intense. OR the mic was cutting out. He used those moments to communicate with the sound guys. You can see him by the drums looking to the side stage,  talking into the mic, pointing around, and like he's explaining things to some one. It seemed like he was talking to the sound people more than singing.

He gave up the vocally intense lyrics after Better. Just YouTube Jungle. He didn't even attempt the opening scream and did the ending using very clean and safe vocals.

I hope they get things fixed for the next show so he can give 100%."

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP BLAMING THE FUCKING SOUND MAN!!!! Axl is 60 almost and every bad show they blame the sound man. EVERY FUCKING TIME. If it is the sound man call the AC/DC sound man and hire him.

They also always say "Axl sounds great at the gig, it just doesn't translate onto video". Funny how this entire phenomenon completely skipped 2006/2010/2016.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Wow! I was really amped for a return to something resembling normalcy. I guess my wish was taken too literally.

This is a band that refuses to release material until it is pried out of their hands by a phalanx of industry lawyers or spite leaked by insiders. The only way to control their music is by touring, I guess. I was bored with the AFD set list in 2006. Fifteen years later……

Quite simply, this business model does not work anymore. It’s absolutely Jurassic by today’s standards.

They would be better served by streaming a new song every leg and riding that into larger crowds. No one is holding their breath for a surprise announcement. We are getting into Quiet Riot/Great White territory now. Rehashing the good old days because they can’t make anything good enough to compete.

I really was hoping the Trump years would have inspired Axl to produce something rebellious.

But I agree with others: he sees worn out  and listless in this first show. He wasn’t going through the motions, he was struggling to go through the motions.

I have to think it’s boredom and something isn’t clicking behind the scenes. Recording, touring, hinting of more….something seems off.

Axl missed his moment in 2001/02. He had the attention of the world…..it should have been more than it was.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Just because they already have a lot of money doesn’t mean they don’t want/need more. They’re used to living a certain lifestyle and were taking in millions a year and that all went away suddenly. I know it’s not easy to hear or comprehend, but it’s reality.

From the clips I saw, they seemed to be in good spirits. So I don’t agree that they’re just going through the motions and don’t care what product they’re putting out. They’re doing it for the money. They added Dead Horse, granted it’s only 1 song, but it’s something. You’re Crazy hasn’t been played a lot either. Slither is played to throw a bone to Slash and Duff playing the CD songs.

I get the frustration, but I also get what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. We’ve been having the same discussions and complaints for years now. Shame on us if we keep on spinning our wheels. I’m skipping out on this tour, mainly because of finances and other things. I’d love to hear Dead Horse though, despite the lackluster performance last night. But I’d rather wait for some more substantial changes.

As Axl alluded to a few times though, we spent a year locked in our houses basically and we’re back to bitching about the same things. So I guess we are indeed back to normal. I try to enjoy what we do have instead of dwelling on what we don’t, but that’s just me. To each their own.

Dead Horse debuted in 2019 and has been played in every show since, including all five of the last 2019 shows, and both 2020 shows. It cannot be considered an addition at this point. Maybe if it was played sporadically like Locomotive, but that's not the case.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

They played Dead Horse pre Covid as well. They added that last tour.

Board footer