You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

Re: oink.cd shut down

BurningHills wrote:

Quote from: http://torrentfreak.com/oinkcd-servers- … -arrested/

The servers of OiNK.cd - one of the most popular private BitTorrent trackers - are raided and the admin, a 24-year-old man from Middlesbrough, is arrested.

OiNK.cd Servers Raided, Admin ArrestedThe British and the Dutch police both contributed to the investigation that was initiated by the IFPI and the BPI, two well known anti-piracy organizations. The operation was supported by Interpol who coordinated the international cooperation.

According to early reports OiNk's servers were confiscated in Amsterdam last week. This seems to be unlikely because the site was still fully functional 24 hours ago. The administrator of OiNK was arrested this morning by the Cleveland Police. The BBC reports that his employer and the home of his father were raided as well.

Jeremy Banks, Head of the IFPI's Internet Anti-Piracy Unit, said in a reponse to the news: 'OiNK was central to the illegal distribution of pre-release music online. This was not a case of friends sharing music for pleasure. This was a worldwide network that got hold of music they did not own the rights to and posted it online.'

OiNK hosted hundreds and thousands of torrents with over a million peers which makes it more popular than most public trackers. The site was known to be one of the first places where leaked music albums appeared, so anti-piracy outfits such as MediaDefender were keeping a close eye on it.

In July the tracker already changed its name from OiNK.me.uk to OiNK.cd due to 'legal' issues with their domain registrar. Unfortunately it now seems that the popular private BitTorrent tracker is in bigger trouble.

developing story'¦

And this was posted oink.cd:

Tuesday, October 23, 2007
OiNK.CD site updated: Are Users Next?

From oink.cd

This site has been closed as a result of a criminal investigation by IFPI, BPI,
Cleveland Police and the Fiscal Investigation Unit of the Dutch Police (FIOD ECD) into
suspected illegal music distribution.

A criminal investigation continues into the identities and activities of the site's
users

Posted by Bacon Phat at 9:19 AM

- I know James said that you can't get in trouble for downloading, mainly just for uploading. How could they possibly go after the site's users in this case?

Looks like we won't be seeing any torrent sites going forward.   If this continues and they keep cracking down which I am sure they will take out one by one, they will cease to exist.  No one will want to take the chance of getting arrested and either owing thousands and thousands of dollars or facing jail time.

BurningHills

BurningHills wrote:

I still say that the music industry got themselves in to this mess - and it's kind of pathetic that they're resorting to stuff like this to begin with.

BurningHills wrote:

I still say that the music industry got themselves in to this mess - and it's kind of pathetic that they're resorting to stuff like this to begin with.

How so?  Is it because ultimately they are the ones that don't have all their bases covered and this stuff is getting out?

BurningHills

BurningHills wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
BurningHills wrote:

How so?  Is it because ultimately they are the ones that don't have all their bases covered and this stuff is getting out?

A few things.

a) CDs are STILL grossly overpriced. Sure, the price on some came down a bit, and I still buy all of my music legally - but I still can't buy nearly as many as I want to due to the price. $14 for a cheap piece of plastic? C'mon.

b) Going for the next cookie-cutter phenomenon and not taking the time to produce quality acts. People have smartened up to the point that they're not going to buy that $14 piece of plastic for 1 or 2 decent songs and filler. Obviously iTunes comes into play here, and I'd encourage downloading those singles on iTunes and supporting the artist. However, before iTunes and back in the old Napster days, there was no "legal" option, as labels haven't produced US CD singles in forever.

c) The labels dropped the ball BIG TIME. Back when Napster first exploded, they should have jumped on the bandwagon IMMEDIATELY by offering legal music downloads. Instead, they decided to sue their own bread and butter. Big mistake. They could have won music fans over, instead they alienated them.

d) Produce U.S. CD singles again. It's that simple. If people are willing to pay a few bucks for a digital download, they'll pay $3 or so to buy the two or three songs that they like on a CD single. The labels greedily stopped producing them in the US, thus FORCING people to buy a full CD for the handful of good songs and the filler.

I have no pity for the labels. At all.

AtariLegend wrote:

$14 over here equates to £7.... those prices are pretty low...

I agree with DTJ...

^ ...And if the industry had to survive on $3 a purchase, there would be no rich music bands/artists....

I couldn't even pay for my Bus fair each day with £1.50... (A Bottle of "Coca Cola" costs more here)

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

$14 over here equates to £7.... those prices are pretty low...

I agree with DTJ...

^ ...And if the industry had to survive on $3 a purchase, there would be no rich music bands/artists....

I couldn't even pay for my Bus fair each day with £1.50... (A Bottle of "Coca Cola" costs more here)

But then we get tax added on and stuff and end up with about between £10-£20 for new releases.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Both sides are too blame. I just feel bad for those bands out there who are making great music but not seeing anything in sales because of downloads and lack of promotion.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

www.tv-links.co.uk has been closed down too, and the admin arrested.

Tvlinks didnt host any files either, it simply let users submit links to video files stored on video sharing sites like youtube. It is a fuckin joke that youtube are allowed to continue hosting millions of illegal videos and sites like tvlinks that haven't broken any laws are closed down.

The case will have to be dropped and site re-opened in my opinion. Law enforcement will have to go after Google next if they want youtube closed. Haha good luck with that hmm

AtariLegend wrote:
downliner wrote:

The funny thing about that site is, most of the links didn't work... 16 It was a terrible site.

If they shut down Stage6 or Veoh, then it would be a dark day for movie bootlegs...

Board footer