You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

bigbri wrote:
James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I actually heard Hard Skool on Ozzy’s Boneyard today. Never heard Absurd.

Was it the radio edit?

I just heard the end. So, I don't know. I hope not. You'd think SiriusXM could play the long versions.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Can someone post the demo again so I can compare? I remember not being a huge fan of the demo because I thought Axl sounded generic but now with the same exact vocal I think he sounds good but overall the song is generic. I think worse than Shadow.

Sky Dog wrote:

I’ll take Shadow as well.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I prefer the demos of all of these recent tracks:
Hollywood Rose demo>2018 SOYL
Village Silkworms>Absurd
2000 Hardschool>Hardskool

Sky Dog wrote:

The drumming on the Hardschool demo blows away the drumming on Hard Skool. I am thinking they should have kept Freese/Brain on new one as well. They kept Brain on Absurd

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

The drumming on the Hardschool demo blows away the drumming on Hard Skool. I am thinking they should have kept Freese/Brain on new one as well. They kept Brain on Absurd

Apart from the add of the cowbell for that classic feel (which goes well with Slash and Duff's additions) I agree. The drumming sounds like a tinny, tappy drum machine.

Sky Dog wrote:

It’s unfortunate but everything is just way too cobbled together for me. I was hoping Slash and Duff could alter the process and bring back a more simple arrangement approach. It hasn’t happened. They are enablers just like the hired Guns. Tommy was the only one who has voiced an opinion on this Chinese craziness. He thought the shit was done in 2001. Well, he was wrong! Still adding and deleting layers in 2021. You can’t make this shit up. 4

Sky Dog wrote:

Actually went back and cranked the demo…it literally blows away the formal track. The drumming and rhythm section are way better.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Still adding and deleting layers in 2021. You can’t make this shit up. 4

The moment I thought something was wrong was when those DJ Ashba arrangements of the CD songs leaked.

It makes no sense that he would be doing that considering he joined in 2009 and the CD album was released in 2008.

Unless it was just hobby stuff for him - but then why those songs and not other stuff from the vault.

I mean 1999 - 2008 you can look at as a very exhausting process...but then even the release of the album didn't end the process it's a worry lol.

But I'm glad we're getting the left over tracks with Slash and Duff...but it does sound like the plan is they just mute the original bass/guitar lines and over dub slash - which is a shame cos songs like Atlas and so on would be awesome but need a rearrangement IMO.

But who knows maybe these were the "test" ones and the album will be the more intense stuff.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Still adding and deleting layers in 2021. You can’t make this shit up. 4

But I'm glad we're getting the left over tracks with Slash and Duff...but it does sound like the plan is they just mute the original bass/guitar lines and over dub slash - which is a shame cos songs like Atlas and so on would be awesome but need a rearrangement IMO.

I agree, better this way than none of the stuff. Releasing it this way might also open the possibilities for a Chinese Boxset one day in 2050 with the original players...

Regarding the rearrangement of the songs: Let us not forget that even the Finck/Stinson/Buckethead band could have still rearranged theses recordings from the version we heard. Just look at Silkworms..thanks to the Bumblefoot version we know the structure had been changed before Slash & Duff came on board. And the same thing could have happened with Hard Skool. Maybe the section after the first chorus that was new to us now wasn't something Slash & Duff brought to the table, but was already there with Robin/Bucket or at least with Bumble/DJ... Also in terms of complete vocal tracks, I think we're down to Atlas and Perhaps. By putting vocals on some of the other tracks the song structures could easily have been rearranged by 2004/2006/2008

Board footer