You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: SMKC new single out 22nd October

metallex78 wrote:

I posted this in the other thread, but I’m case anyone misses it - the new single, The River is Rising out this Friday!

Another teaser:

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I get enjoyment from all Slash material and have seen SMKC live a couple times. I’m not sure he should permanently link to Myles. It’s been a decade now and I’m not sure Myles is doing the same justice to the riffs as he used to. Slash is comfortable with him, and I guess the band has some notoriety so I don’t anticipate any changes. I also wonder how invested Myles is…I was listening to My Antidote from Living the Dream the other day and I realized he wasn’t really trying on the vocal take. He’s got Alter Bridge and is now invested in his solo project…this may be the last SMKC album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I was thinking a similar thing the other day. The earlier Slash and Myles stuff he really seemed to be keen to impress, i felt the last album was a lot more generic vocally - I put it down to rushing the album in a week on tour or whatever they did. Don't mean to be shitting on myles I do like him...but yeah...just it didn't seem to have the same X factor the early stuff had. I'm hoping this is a return to form. If not it might be time for something new.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

As much as we’d like Slash to move on to someone else from Myles, I don’t think it’ll happen. Myles is a nice guy, reliable, talented, and a true professional. That’s all pluses in Slash’s eyes.

I’d love to see someone grittier singing over Slash’s solo songs, but I think Myles is here to stay.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think Myles voice might sound better with a piano. It is time for Slash to write his NR.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

New single will be up for streaming in Australia in a little over 3 hours. Looking forward to hearing this!

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Well, it’s 3am here, I just woke up and I’m listening to this here in Australia.

Initial thoughts after first listen, I really dig it. It’s certainly different to what I was expecting.

A chugging, groovy rocker for the most part, with some oddly jarring tempo changes for the solo sections, but I like that Slash is going off in those parts.

Much, much better than Driving Rain, which I’m using as comparison, as that was the first single from the last album.

Myles sounds pretty good too. The verse melody sounds similar to another song, but I can’t quite place what song it is.

Production sounds pretty good too. Nice and chunky.

I really wish they’d fix that fucking snare sound. Slash hasn’t had a great Sorum sounding cracking snare on any of his albums, and it makes the songs suffer because of that. To my ears anyway.

Lastly, it looks like the album is called “4” and The River is Rising opens the album.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Great review Alex! I was able to get an Aussie friend to send me a recording and I love it. Your video link doesn’t work for us in the US yet. Cheers to SMKC!

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Lastly, it looks like the album is called “4” and The River is Rising opens the album.

Yuck. What a cliche.

Board footer