You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Derko
 Rep: -2 

Re: Guns n roses played the general

Derko wrote:

This must be a total different version compared to Beltramis intro. I'm convinced that the early version of The General is a total different song. The 2023 version is like snippets remixed...

guts
 Rep: 1 

guts wrote:

It was surreal getting to hear this song live last night.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I have long been a fan of both bands.

But I think people who dislike Slash are letting their preferences colour what they hear - Slash has long been capable of the occasional shred style run - yet every time he does one in a song - be it in Snakepit or here people rush to say it must be an overdub of someone else or maybe the rhythm guitarist stepping up or whatever.

The truth is while he's generally more 'aerosmith' style than a van halen style shredder, and while he doesn't have paul gilbert speeds like bucket, he DOES have sufficient speed to smash these licks as demonstrated by live versions of songs like Anastasia, Wicked Stone and others. He's shown on multiple occasions he can drop a modal scale run, or a harmonic minor in at blistering speed even if he isn't a 10 finger tapper and even if a lot of his famous riffs are varations on pentatonic forms.

My thoughts are:

1. The sound of the intro wah-riff over the verses is VERY slash style. The sort of dirty vibe he brings to songs.

2. The outro solo is also very Slash considering the repeatred phrases with Wah (this is a thing Slash does - like repeat a particular phase over and over with minor vatiations).

3. The speed might be off putting to 1990s era slash but is well within the types of solos he's been doing live since at least 2010 onwards.

3. The mood of the playing is very much like Slash does on 'Darker' songs - see 'Vengance is Mine' by Alice Cooper or 'The Unholy" on Slash's WOF album. Also consider how he plays on the Universal Monsters soundtrack he did for Halloween Horror Nights. Listen to those and it doesn't seem a stretch that he recorded these. Listen to Wicked Stone live circa 2014 and you can see he has the chops.

4. Other than doubting slash - there's not much to suggest it IS bucket - if it is bucket - where's his signature stuff? Why no tapping? Why No kill switch? Why no whammy pedal? Why none of his signature vibrato and tremmlo picking mix (like that beautiful passage in soothsayer etc) . Plus if it was bucket wouldn't the fast bit be even faster? wouldn't the scale run part be repeated more gilbert style like his nighttain solo? Its laid back for the likes of a bucket/bumble shred. Listen to TWAT or IRS and tell me it's the same guy. I dunno sounds closer to slash in style than those.

5. Likewise - what does Robin play that's similar to this style? There's a lick at the end of monsters that is similar to one of his runs on street of dreams i'll grant, but I'm not hearing much on general itself. All i hear are things that seem to be slash's general MO.

6. If it wasn't slash - why is his live version so accurate? It's not note perfect in the solo but then he doesn't cover himself that way normally either - but its got the general mood the same - unlike songs like TIL and TWAT where love or hate it he has replicated some phrases but tends to go his own way.

7. Not sure what you are saying about a super-strat? are you talking the pickup sound and tone? I don't hear notes at the 24th fret or whammy dives or anything non-gibsonish to me. But my ears could be missing something. Can you elaborate. But nevertheless as said by others - Slash has been known to mix it up in the studio of late.

For these reasons I think it seems logical to assume that the studio take that leaked is Slash - but maybe I will be proven wrong one day.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I have long been a fan of both bands.

But I think people who dislike Slash are letting their preferences colour what they hear - Slash has long been capable of the occasional shred style run - yet every time he does one in a song - be it in Snakepit or here people rush to say it must be an overdub of someone else or maybe the rhythm guitarist stepping up or whatever.

The truth is while he's generally more 'aerosmith' style than a van halen style shredder, and while he doesn't have paul gilbert speeds like bucket, he DOES have sufficient speed to smash these licks as demonstrated by live versions of songs like Anastasia, Wicked Stone and others. He's shown on multiple occasions he can drop a modal scale run, or a harmonic minor in at blistering speed even if he isn't a 10 finger tapper and even if a lot of his famous riffs are varations on pentatonic forms.

My thoughts are:

1. The sound of the intro wah-riff over the verses is VERY slash style. The sort of dirty vibe he brings to songs.

2. The outro solo is also very Slash considering the repeatred phrases with Wah (this is a thing Slash does - like repeat a particular phase over and over with minor vatiations).

3. The speed might be off putting to 1990s era slash but is well within the types of solos he's been doing live since at least 2010 onwards.

3. The mood of the playing is very much like Slash does on 'Darker' songs - see 'Vengance is Mine' by Alice Cooper or 'The Unholy" on Slash's WOF album. Also consider how he plays on the Universal Monsters soundtrack he did for Halloween Horror Nights. Listen to those and it doesn't seem a stretch that he recorded these. Listen to Wicked Stone live circa 2014 and you can see he has the chops.

4. Other than doubting slash - there's not much to suggest it IS bucket - if it is bucket - where's his signature stuff? Why no tapping? Why No kill switch? Why no whammy pedal? Why none of his signature vibrato and tremmlo picking mix (like that beautiful passage in soothsayer etc) . Plus if it was bucket wouldn't the fast bit be even faster? wouldn't the scale run part be repeated more gilbert style like his nighttain solo? Its laid back for the likes of a bucket/bumble shred. Listen to TWAT or IRS and tell me it's the same guy. I dunno sounds closer to slash in style than those.

5. Likewise - what does Robin play that's similar to this style? There's a lick at the end of monsters that is similar to one of his runs on street of dreams i'll grant, but I'm not hearing much on general itself. All i hear are things that seem to be slash's general MO.

6. If it wasn't slash - why is his live version so accurate? It's not note perfect in the solo but then he doesn't cover himself that way normally either - but its got the general mood the same - unlike songs like TIL and TWAT where love or hate it he has replicated some phrases but tends to go his own way.

7. Not sure what you are saying about a super-strat? are you talking the pickup sound and tone? I don't hear notes at the 24th fret or whammy dives or anything non-gibsonish to me. But my ears could be missing something. Can you elaborate. But nevertheless as said by others - Slash has been known to mix it up in the studio of late.

For these reasons I think it seems logical to assume that the studio take that leaked is Slash - but maybe I will be proven wrong one day.

Good post monkey

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Click777
 Rep: 0 

Click777 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I listened to Slash's Unholy and I have some kind of confusion in my head. If you listen to these three songs in a row - the General, Monsters and the Unholy it seems that they grew from the same source. And the subject matter is similar. It's as if the Monsters and the General took many techniques (singing along, guitar melodies) from this song. Just thoughts, but very strange

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

here is the pro shot from tonight

https://youtu.be/lue6CLbqABc?si=WI4OPkKregP3bV4l

Clear
 Rep: 0 

Clear wrote:

I don't know what to think about crocodile video that goes along with the song. It doesn't fit, just weird choice

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Clear wrote:

I don't know what to think about crocodile video that goes along with the song. It doesn't fit, just weird choice

its probably just a place holder, they will probably have a real video next tour

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
Clear wrote:

Glad I wasn't the only one...  Not a fan of all these lazy ai generated videos in general.

Board footer