You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Wow, everyone's on the ledge on this stuff. You should just jump now because this is what we're getting.

Yeah I know this is what we're getting, which is why panic buttons are going off. As I've said many times, its good. Its just not living up to any expectations, and I'm not even talking about the long wait. That lineup should have been able to record a better album in the span of a couple months.

Axl had a supergroup from 2000-04, and we got elevator music and some Praxis.

Great.

I don't normally make identical posts at forums I go to, but I said this at the Finck forum....

Track 2 is a shit stain on GNR's legacy. No wonder the FBI was sent out on the prowl.

This album(what we've heard) is really underwhelming me at the moment. Since my "medical emergency" last week, I've been lounging around the house most of this week, and gave these leaks many listens.

The novelty wears off really quick and it just gets weaker with each listen.

If this is the album with a few more songs, I can literally see CD gathering dust in my closet within a few months of release, if not sooner.

After 11 years of work, the best thing they could come up with is that killer title track.

Way too much talent walked through this band for it to have turned out like this.

I don't want everything sounding the same and I like the different directions each song goes into

I don't like things sounding the same either, and I listen to music that goes in more directions than this. Thats not the problem. Its not living up to the standards of the talent that created it.

Well, shit James. You know we're on the same page as far as listening to different kinds of stuff, but I do think the attitude has been turned way up on the criticism of CD. As far as this band living up to the talent behind it, the only talent that really matters is Axl. He calls the shots. You and I both know Bucket can do more. Robin certainly is capable of some gnarly shit, but they are working within the confines of what Axl tells them or wants from them.

Personally, with every listen I give this stuff, I like it more and more. There are some pretty grand ideas and some pretty ambitious arrangements and structures, and to me this batch of leaks is the best. It's almost as if the puzzle is becoming more clearer to me as I listen. You know my past, you know I've been ready to call it a day on GNR, but this stuff gives me hope that there's something worth listening to.

And I'll be honest, as far as talent level, I don't think we'd want Slash around this stuff, which is becoming the rallying cry. Slash couldn't pull this stuff off. Not because he doesn't have the ability, but because he doesn't have the balls. It's clear why he wanted no part of this stuff. It doesn't carry the security blanket of the same old shit that he does, but does well.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

And speaking of the same old shit, that's what this whole discussion comes to. We're all excited about leaks, we dig them, say they are awesome, say this and that, and then we're back to being ready to slash our wrists. Christ, it's hard to bear sometimes going through the same stuff over and over. I might as well dig through some of my posts from years ago.

Sky Dog wrote:

karma for those two posts Bri.....I agree and still don't think we have that great of an idea as to what the final album will be or what the final mixes will be.:thumbup:

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The 4 remaining songs on CD better be straight ahead, balls out rockers, and about something other than Stephanie Seymour.

If not, Axl might want to consider throwing The General on there, or else there will be no forth album to put it on.

If its nothing but mid tempo ballads about how heart broken he is, he will look completely insane...er. He's going to be forever known as the guy who spent 14 years, 14 million dollars writing love lorn ballads about a supermodel he dated for a year.

Sky Dog wrote:

i agree with that too....I agree with everybody.:haha:  or I just don't care to argue about it anymore.:|

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

The 4 remaining songs on CD better be straight ahead, balls out rockers, and about something other than Stephanie Seymour.

If not, Axl might want to consider throwing The General on there, or else there will be no forth album to put it on.

If its nothing but mid tempo ballads about how heart broken he is, he will look completely insane...er. He's going to be forever known as the guy who spent 14 years, 14 million dollars writing love lorn ballads about a supermodel he dated for a year.

This is the funniest post ever.   That final paragraph is so classic.  I will now make it my signature.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
madagas wrote:

i agree with that too....I agree with everybody.:haha:  or I just don't care to argue about it anymore.:|

So, we've lived to see the day you turned into a yes-man.

Hope Axl's hiring new people sometime soon. wink

Sky Dog wrote:

I agree.....and need a higher paying job!

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I heard The Cure do this in the 80's,

Ahghhhh arrggghhh YUK!!! James what the  fuck? 16 This is nothing like the Cure. yeah the Cure use synth but they use it to perfection. the synth actually compliments the songs  Robert writes and they add so much emotion to the songs. No band ever utilized Synth as a stand out instrument the way the Cure did. The way Axl does it sounds like cheese. Sounds like he's forcing them to be epic(which they are not). They have no timeless, classic feel to them at all. Cure of the 80's is pure timeless.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

As for the guitar playing on these songs in my opinion it's nothing special.  None of it is as good as the old stuff Slash did. In fact the best solo on the new songs in my opinion is the sublime solo at the end of Better and that's Robin. Sure BH might be a technical god on guitar but I haven't heard anything in these "demos" that make me think "holy shit Slash who?" You know to me there's just nothing there. There's no kick ass solo that's memorable. None of these solso save for Robin's in Better even compliment the song in my opinion. they just go off on a tagent of guitar soloing for the sake of guitar soloing. The ending to Twat is alright but it's not mind blowing. At least not to me.

Board footer