You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: Bob Saget roast - Norm Macdonald's set

Tommie wrote:

Tell me what you guys think,  I'm really on the fence about the set.  Make sure you watch it all though, it does get better

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

The show was great. But his set kinda went over my head. I didn't get it.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

That was bad. I watched the first bit of the roast live but found better things to do. Overall, the Saget roast was poor from what I saw. I liked their one for Leary years ago, and Shatner, and even Foxworthy's was pretty funny. But this was disappointing.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

The show was great. But his set kinda went over my head. I didn't get it.

As I said I'm on the fence about it.  Was it that he was just trying to be bad for the sake of being bad?  Was he making a commentary on how everyones jokes were just the same recycled bullshit over and over?  Poking fun of Sagets resume of full house and Americas funniest home videos? 

I almost always love his delivery though, "they want to murder you in a well, it says here on this card", and "you're fucking dog faced"" both had me laughing.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Tommie wrote:

As I said I'm on the fence about it.  Was it that he was just trying to be bad for the sake of being bad?  Was he making a commentary on how everyones jokes were just the same recycled bullshit over and over?

I think that's what it was.  He seems to have a really fucked up sense of humor, and I really think being bad on purpose seems like something that would be really funny to him.

I also know from listening to Stern, that Sagget and Norm were both really concerned because Artie Lange was supposed to be there, but cancelled last minute.  He called to say he was sick, and the producer actually offered to charter him a plane with a doctor to attend to him on the way from New York to L.A. which he refused.   In reality, Artie had fucked himself up enough on heroin that he was literally turning green. 

Everything came out in the open after it was taped, and Sagget was on Stern last week and admitted that he and Norm actually discussed that maybe Artie was dead and they just weren't telling them yet.  So it's possible, he was just pre-occupied, and didn't work on anything.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

That was bad. I watched the first bit of the roast live but found better things to do. Overall, the Saget roast was poor from what I saw. I liked their one for Leary years ago, and Shatner, and even Foxworthy's was pretty funny. But this was disappointing.

Leary, Shatner and Pam Anderson were all really good.  The Flavor Flav one was okay. 

Judging by this, it won't be that good.  I haven't watched it yet, and that video wasn't too good.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

That's Norm's schtick though. Always has been. If you look at his SNL skits they were terrible. Just one basic premise & a bunch of ad-libbing. Remember his awesome Bob Dole impression, probably the funniest Political impersonation ever. Why??  I have no friggin idea but it was funny. Weekend update was the same thing, he made the jokes unfunny. So much so it became funny because he was making fun of the unfunny jokes. I think I read in Rolling Stone years ago the writers & cast didn't like him. When Farley & Sandler left he didn't get along with the new cast (Will Ferrell, Chris Kattan). I remember he even said he didn't like Kattan "He came off as gay".  Ultimately he was from SNL for various reasons.

This bit wasn't that great, Cauliflower was good. But overall, he tanked. Which is exactly what he was trying to do. Just look at  Jon Lovits, Bob Sagets & John Stamos  reactions, they see right thru it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It was Norm being Norm.  If I went up there and did that, people would be tossing tomatoes at me (well, they might anyway), but it works for Norm.  Comidians are somewhat like artists or musicians.  That's all.

See?  It's not funny when I do it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Norm MacDonald for me is like Andy DIck and people like that, I just don't understand how they are famous. not funny, corny and just no skill.

Board footer