You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Re: An interesting topic, what would happen if axl...

Brett wrote:

Libertad was not really in Slash's safe zone and even if it was, who cares? Why does that automatically equate a negative?

i think most people would agree that it was, and theres nothing wrong with doing what you love doing, but seeing 45 year old dudes singing about getting drunk and pwning chicks seems a little tragic and pathetic to me. i'd prefer Axl to evolve as an artist, and to me he has done so.

Captain Winkler

Did you just call me a "tragic idiot stuck in a timewarp"?

lol no dude, i am talking about the idiots on youtube who hear the leaks and automatically throw a hissy fit- "omg this isnt GNR I HATE IT OMG AXL RUINED EVERYTING HE HAS CORNROWS OMG"

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Fair enough, I thought you were raggin' on me 'cause of the AFD, Part II comment. Had to be sure before I lashed out wink

Strange thing is though: CITR, although a classic ballad in every sense of the word, does nothing for me; If The World (totally un-GNR and un-AFD) is my second favorite leak. Only thing wrong with it for me is Axl's opening lines (to squeeky for my tastes).

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:
Brett wrote:

Libertad was not really in Slash's safe zone and even if it was, who cares? Why does that automatically equate a negative?

i think most people would agree that it was, and theres nothing wrong with doing what you love doing, but seeing 45 year old dudes singing about getting drunk and pwning chicks seems a little tragic and pathetic to me. i'd prefer Axl to evolve as an artist, and to me he has done so.

I think Libertad sounds way more current than what I normally associate Slash with.

Seeing Axl Rose at 46 looks a bit silly up there cranking out industrial tunes make me giggle just a tad. And, he's still dwelling over Stephanie in the lyrics 15 years after the breakup. Now, THAT my friend, is sad and pathetic to me. Slash has proven all he's needed to prove. He did one of the best hard rock albums of all time (the best to me), was part of softer ballads and literally everything in between that and punk on UYI (which means he's done 'epic'), even got a really bluesy singer for the second incarnation of Snakepit, not to mention played with countless people in countless ways along the way, electic and acoustic. He even played for ICP on one of their rap/rock songs and worked with Ray Charles and MJ. The guy has proven himself and evolved as an artist all the way along, but I love the fact that he sticks to what he enjoys, ratty rock n roll, on his records. Why wouldn't he?

Plus, Slash gets a bum rep sometimes. The same people saying he stays in his element whine and cry when he "sells out" and plays SCOM with Fergie and they make fun of him for getting the guys from Cypress Hill to do Paradise City. So what can he do? Does he have to pretend he's NIN before he can finally get the respect he deserves? Should he just shred through everything? Black Sheep, a band he was in, were heavy into shredding.

So, I ask, what hasn't the man done and what area of music has he not been involved in?

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't think Axl moves forward or backward. I just think he incorporates styles that he likes in to his music-whether it be early 70's Elton John, 90's NIN or White Zombie, 80's Gnr, Queen, Grunge ..whatever. Sometimes, what Axl wanted conflicted with what Slash/Duff wanted and they couldn't find a happy medium and broke up. Real simple stuff. Nobody was right or wrong.:thumbup::rock::beer:

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Brett wrote:

Black Sheep, a band he was in, were heavy into shredding.

Where did you hear that?

*edit* fixed a very silly spelling mistake

Captain Winkler

Brett wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:
Brett wrote:

I think Libertad sounds way more current than what I normally associate Slash with.

Seeing Axl Rose at 46 looks a bit silly up there cranking out industrial tunes make me giggle just a tad. And, he's still dwelling over Stephanie in the lyrics 15 years after the breakup. Now, THAT my friend, is sad and pathetic to me. Slash has proven all he's needed to prove. He did one of the best hard rock albums of all time (the best to me), was part of softer ballads and literally everything in between that and punk on UYI (which means he's done 'epic'), even got a really bluesy singer for the second incarnation of Snakepit, not to mention played with countless people in countless ways along the way, electic and acoustic. He even played for ICP on one of their rap/rock songs and worked with Ray Charles and MJ. The guy has proven himself and evolved as an artist all the way along, but I love the fact that he sticks to what he enjoys, ratty rock n roll, on his records. Why wouldn't he?

Plus, Slash gets a bum rep sometimes. The same people saying he stays in his element whine and cry when he "sells out" and plays SCOM with Fergie and they make fun of him for getting the guys from Cypress Hill to do Paradise City. So what can he do? Does he have to pretend he's NIN before he can finally get the respect he deserves? Should he just shred through everything? Black Sheep, a band he was in, were heavy into shredding.

So, I ask, what hasn't the man done and what area of music has he not been involved in?

i think we've disintegrated into a Slash V Axl debate here, which i wasn't trying to do. i don't think there is a said rule that makes writing industrial songs at any age pathetic, nor is creating industrial sounds wanting to be NIN, that analogy is like saying anyone who plays blues based hard rock is trying to be like Guns n Roses, or anyone playing metal is trying to be black sabbath etc.

sure slash has made cameo appearances with many great artists, some noteworthy others not so much, and there is absolutely no denying his talent as a guitarist(my fav guitarist) however during his own career he has made little attempt to push his OWN musical boundaries, thats not to say his guitar work during GNR was not amazing and revolutionary, but he hasn't tried to transcend that. by the same token, if you're wanting Axl to do the same as Slash with his vocals and lyrics, thus clinging to what he knows and is famous for, you therefore expect him to be talking about dancing with mr brownstone? riding the night train? that would be laughable. Axl has not tried to do that, hence why people use the term 'moving forward' .

while it could be argued that the new leaks alone, are not revolutionary in sound(although to me i have heard nothing like it)no one could accuse Axl of remaining within his comfort zone, thus the term 'moving forward', whether used as a term to describe the new music as compared to the music industry as a whole or rather just to describe Axl's musical journey, is thrown about.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

The thing is Axl's vocals nor lyrics are as good on the CD stuff in general than it was on the UYI stuff. And, I personally take Axl's lyrics with a grain of salt because generally everything he sings about he does the opposite in his personal actions. I ask, though, what should Slash do that will make him more broad of a guitarist? We know he can do it anyways, all the performers he's played with has proven this; so what is there to prove? Even if Slash was in GNR right now, he wouldn't be making electronic sounds, that's be Axl's bag, so how could he grow? He'd just be playing the guitar and I hear little to nothing on the CD leaks that Slash hasn't done similarly and better. Bands don't generally constantly shift genres, musicians get their other loves out of their system with live performances and ventures with others and focus on what they love on their own work. That's why he worked with Lenny Kravitz, because he had this cool riff that Lenny liked, but Slash thought it was too funky for Guns. What hasn't Slash done in the world of Rock N' Roll? Slash even said he'd have done an industrial record with Guns if everyone was on the same page, but it just never worked like that. Axl's been making industrial music (because he is interested in it) to an extent dating all the way back to My World. If the last nearly 20 years haven't made industrial music a part his comfort zone, I don't know what would.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges when talking about Axl Vs. Slash. Axl is a control freak singer who now has a band that he 100% controls and every sound goes his way. Slash is a guitarist and doesn't work like that as his bands are more collective.

TheMole: His book. I'm sure it was Black Sheep that he said he joined to shred just to try to get noticed between bands. If you have his book handy and want proof, there's a pic of Slash with a guitar and smoke hanging out of his mouth (it's b&w) and there's a caption "Slash shredding it up with Black Sheep."

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

Did you just call me a "tragic idiot stuck in a timewarp"?

lol no dude, i am talking about the idiots on youtube who hear the leaks and automatically throw a hissy fit- "omg this isnt GNR I HATE IT OMG AXL RUINED EVERYTING HE HAS CORNROWS OMG"

Welcome to how the general public is going to receive CD.  Get used to it (if the album ever comes out).

Sky Dog wrote:

Can we stop with the Axl vs Slash manifesto? We have been down this road a thousand times. Slash does what he wants, Axl does what he wants. And, maybe, just maybe, one day in the future their "wants" and "needs" will be the same again. 9

Board footer