You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Re: An interesting topic, what would happen if axl...

Brett wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

ask slash to compose anything like the solos on shackler's or riyadh and he'd sit there scratching his top hat wondering what the fuck is going on.  he has never done anything similar to those solos or riffs. could you provide a source for this supposed "slash would do an industrial record with GNR"? i doubt that, because it seems like utter BS.

to say Axl's lyrics on chinese demo are bad is well ignorant to be polite, it seems that your lack of appreciation for Axl and the new band is far more deep seeded than simply not digging the new material.

I love Slash, i love his work, and he seems like a decent guy, but hes a media whore and the darling of every rock journalist going around, and you seem to be swept up in this Slash worshiping anti-Axl  vibe that has been produced, mainly due to sensational journalism and a lack of actual information on the situation. there is no doubting that Axl is eccentric and at times over-bearing and tedious to deal with, but to heap all the blame on Axl is just ridiculous. whether hes credible or not, Scott weiland has even been quoted as saying, having been in a band with Slash, that he "can see now that it may not have been all Axl's fault after dealing with those guys". Slash undoubtedly portrays himself as the innocent, laid back chilled guy, and i am sure to some extent he is, but he definitely cannot be exonerated of all responsibility for the dissolution of the band.

on the whole Axl not doing what his lyrics depict, well that my friend, is utterly ridiculous. lyrics are not necessarily self descriptive, nor are they necessarily introspective. they can depict a story of a protagonist, offer opinions on contemporary issues etc. none of which include first person accounts of what is occurring in the lyrics. that is one of the most inherently stupid comments i have ever seen. so because he wrote civil war, and did not go to any war, or fuck he didn't even go the civil war!?!? his lyrics have no credibility?

you no what you're right, i can pretty much disregard every single song ever written now. led zeppelin for example, i was a fool to think they were actually present at the battle of evermore, what an idiot i am, they lied to me, and i believed them! you mean to tell me there is no actual stairway to heaven!?!? jesus H christ! WOH HOLD UP you're saying that Freddie mercury never actually shot a man? never actually pulled a trigger and now hes dead!?!? and pink floyd? surely not? they never actually took part in any building programs regarding bricks!?!? they were never even present on the building site!?!? OH MY SWEET DICK ITS A CONSPIRACY! THANK YOU FOR BLOWING MY MIND!

I'm very sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not anti-Axl, nor did I say his music was bad nor that Axl Rose has to live exactly what his lyrics say, I just said I take them with a grain of salt when they directly pertain to his experiences. You were the one who brought up how Slash is unwilling to go out of this "safe zone" and I showed you with a dozen examples off the top of my head how he has played in all different genres. But, you didn't pay attention to that because those facts aren't convenient to your point of view. Monkeychow proved my point about Slash willing to do other types of music by quoting right from his own mouth from his book to elaborate on my other post.

Axl was saying something with Civil War, it wasn't written in regards to any certain war, that was all about politics and humanity itself. In the new music he's sometimes really focusing on events in his life and on that level I would never go out of my way to agree with Axl Rose. In other instances, it's very good and poetic. When Axl does his rants on stage, they're real, they're great and I believe he believes it at that moment in time. But, Axl's day to day actions are not that of a normal man. One riot would have stopped anyone else dead in their tracks, Axl still never stopped messing with the crowd. I believe that there's an element of hatred towards the fans in Shackler's Revenge and after messing with people for so long, I'm sorry, but I fully understand why people hold a resentment against him. I'm not one of those people. If I was I wouldn't be here. I don't trust Axl's account of actions at all, and that's why I liked it when he was more broad rather than specific.

I enjoy the leaks, they just are nowhere near as strong as the old material, and that's fine because that is some of the greatest music of all time. Just because Axl put industrial elements into his tunes doesn't impress me just because they're there and I don't know why it impresses others. Hell, Motley Crue did the same thing in, what, '97 (and they also had another direction shift earlier in '94), and you were calling them relics in your first post. Vince Neil combined rap beats and rock music on one of his solo albums years before Limp Bizkit... but combining genres is nothing new and I don't think Vince Neil is on a higher level than (insert random singer here) who solely sings rock all his life because he threw some rap beats in some tunes 15 years ago. It's like I said in my first post; there's plenty of art still to be made in straight rock n roll or operas or rap music and everything in between.

About the only thing you've proven to me is you are doing precisely what I said you were doing in my very first long post; slandering Slash's musical boundaries on the (apparently?) sole fact that he doesn't participate in industrial music because he's done damn near everything else. Like Neemo said, "why would he want to?" He even did a flamenco solo at the end of Double Talkin' Jive! In this thread I was in no way anti-Axl, I spoke the truth about Axl and the truth about Slash but I am not going to stand by and listen to someone regurgitate inaccuracies in regards to the versatility of Slash's guitar playing while praising Axl for using industrial elements he's been experimenting with since 1991 as something "new". You said it'd be laughable for Slash to perform about drinking and fucking, yet in your first post talked about Axl creating a new 'Nightrain' and talked about wanting Axl to 'transform and evolve the type of music that made him and GNR famous' which I directly take to be AFD. AFD was all about youth, drinking, fucking and breaking shit. Unless you solely mean in mere sound, but those songs were highly effective because of their strong badass attitude. Unless you mean Estranged type lyrics with gritty punkish rock?

(In my mind, this isn't a Slash vs. Axl debate because I am not a part of any side. This is a discussion in regards to what is equatable to "musical growth/direction" pertaining to Axl and Slash since both men were brought up in the thread.)

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Catcher in the Rye and Madagascar are the 2 most overrated of the new bunch.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIMSB5p … re=related

Slash is more than just a blues based pentatonic rocker.. listen to link.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIMSB5p … re=related

Slash is more than just a blues based pentatonic rocker.. listen to link.

that was terrible (slash's soloing) and he was just back up on the other parts
doesn't prove anything to me - also pretty basic stuff for any guitar player

the music i am writing is hard rock but the fact that i can play greensleeves doesn't make me diverse. cause it's such an easy song. salsh is a pro and should be able to play som spanish style and some jazz and some classical, etc. etc.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

hey brett - i didn't quote you to avoid taking up more space in this thread 22

axl didn't simply add beats and synth to a bunch of songs. the music is different across the board. certainly some of the songs sound like uy stuff but they could never be mistaken for another song like, for example, ac/cd songs which i do like.

go ahead and add some beats to old gnr and tell me if it sounds like cd songs.  on a side note, i am hoping and assuming a lot of the drum machine bs is not on the final cuts.

Board footer